What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First trip!

60av8tor

Well Known Member
Unfortunately it was in the back of this pig:D
A0AF62D6-2DAF-4E73-B1AC-5355A9011686.jpg

After 20 years of moving around for Uncle Sam, it was time to find our permanent home. Not surprisingly, my wife decided that we were going to move back close to her family, and where we were both raised in PA. To those who haven't moved a project (without engine/avionics thank the good Lord), you don't know what you're missing:eek:
After a marathon day and a half, I was ready for the 700 miles.
6B4541C9-4541-4572-97E3-966B1F490BAC.jpg

I had to laugh after reading Paul Dye's Editor's log in the latest Kitplanes. It was about how our shops hold unique memories, etc. He mentioned keeping scrap that others may consider trash. I read this shortly after my wife gave me a hard time about loading this in the back of the uhaul.
DCE1F618-5229-4913-AF04-D5764DEDBC4F.jpg

I was rather nervous to begin unpacking, as I thought for sure I would have at least a ding or dent here or there. Thankfully not a hint of damage on anything! The project in its new home - more space this time:D
992D7BAF-2996-428D-B629-F059DA2B560F.jpg

Look forward to getting settled in once again north of the Mason-Dixon and joining EAA chapter 122!

Gentle Ride

Jon,

How can you go wrong when the van provides a gentle ride. The 12 project my brother acquired went from an owner in Florida to an owner in Indiana. Then it came to Kentucky with us. I have some dings and scraps to address so I guess we didn't get such a gentle ride or weren't as good as packers as you. If those moves were because of military service - thank you.

Jon,

How can you go wrong when the van provides a gentle ride. The 12 project my brother acquired went from an owner in Florida to an owner in Indiana. Then it came to Kentucky with us. I have some dings and scraps to address so I guess we didn't get such a gentle ride or weren't as good as packers as you. If those moves were because of military service - thank you.

Ha! Yes, gentle is definitely relative, I guess. I spent the first half of the trip wincing at every bump. I was hesitant to inspect the back at the first fuel stop - didn't want to stew about any damage for the second half - but everything looked good from what I could see. Going through D.C., was the worst - had visions of things floating in mid air in the back:D. I was pleasantly surprised that nothing had shifted. I actually did have 2 marks - one on each wingtip where they rubbed against each other (the marks can be seen on one of the tips in the picture), but that is very inconsequential considering what may have happened.

My biggest concern was the tail parts as I didn't have a very good method of securing them. I rented 3 dozen moving blankets, which I thought would be overkill, but I ended up using almost every one.

Glad you made it okay:D

What you got against the South:p

Very similar indeed, Bill! I see we both used the same spot to place the elevator - worked well.

I will definitely miss the south - dreading having to use a snow shovel again. But the older I get, the nicer it feels to be moving back closer to my roots.

To those who haven't moved a project (without engine/avionics thank the good Lord), you don't know what you're missing:eek:

I could not agree more. I started my RV8 in Utah, put it in storage while I was in Dominican Republic for a few years....came out of storage to California through the FWF stage and was finished in Atlanta......I think the kit had about 10K miles on it prior to first flight.

Scariest move I had with it was when the fuselage was on a U-Haul car trailer and I hit hail storm in Midwest on the the move to Atlanta, found safe shelter under a massive tree.....

Moving kits is no fun, glad yours made it safely to PA.

Steve

Looks familiar. :D I trucked my project over to the airport when I got it from my friend Jim in 2014. Was a nervous trip but all ended up just fine.

Back