What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR checkride in an RV-8

pjmRV8

I have been flying my RV-8 for 5 years now and have about 1000 TT mostly in RV's and decided that it was time to take the next step and work on my IFR ticket.

I am in the early stages of the knowledge test and am thinking ahead a bit about what plane I will be able to use for my check ride. Has anyone had luck getting an IFR check-ride in an 8? I have a stick and throttle in the back with no instruments other than a Garmin 196. I could potentially rig my Garmin Pilot up on an iPad that would have attitude and synthetic vision /HSI on it. I think I can connect two iPads at once (the other up front with plates on it.) I am running a G3X Touch and GTN650.

I am not opposed to flying another plane but finding one with a similar glass set up could be difficult and would cost more time and money.

Any thoughts or experience is welcomed.
Thanks
Phil

I would not give instrument dual from rear seat of an 8. It would be impossible for a "safety pilot" to do his job from the rear as well. Only way that I can see is to have full instrumentation in rear and do the training in the rear seat.

BWTHDIK

I would not give instrument dual from rear seat of an 8. It would be impossible for a "safety pilot" to do his job from the rear as well. Only way that I can see is to have full instrumentation in rear and do the training in the rear seat.

BWTHDIK

+1
And the examiner will want to see what you're seeing, so he'll need his own set of instruments up front (if you're in the back).
Also, I pretty much insist on taking instrument students into actual IMC. But I won't do that unless I can see both the primary and backup flight instruments. Not iPads. That means a lot of expensive glass in an -8.

it could be done.

I would give instrument instruction from the back seat of an eight set up as you described.. I can't say that I could find you an examiner to give the check ride, but I am confident that I could provide separation from the back seat. It would require a little coordination with you. So if you can't find an instructor come on out to Colorado.

I have completed an instrument currency checks in my RV8. (Not actual IMC) I was able to find a willing instructor fairly quickly. At the time, I was based outside Atlanta (KLZU)

Steve

Back