What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Click-Bonds & AKZO

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Hey all
AKZO. Is pretty tough stuff, there is no doubt about it. It will cure on glass & its never going to come off without a fight... But has anyone installed click-bond fasteners (zip tie mounts) on top of AKZO? Or always remove AKZO before installing a click-bond mount?

Thanks

I'm reviving this as I'd like to know who is a readily available distributor for click bond fasteners and if we can apply them over akzo.

I am looking at these as an alternative to caterpillar grommets for wire standoffs through lightening holes, specifically for nav antenna wiring up a VS.

Last edited:
The click bond distributor for us small time guys is The Flight Shop.

Spruce sells some, but since they aren't a distributor, their prices are higher.

I used them in a number of places on my build, but whenever using where I had primed (Akzo), I sanded away the primer to get to bare metal, then cleaned it well per the spec.

Don't recall what the process spec says about gluing to primer, but whatever it does, make sure you follow it. I failed one or two times to be rigorous in my process, and ended up having to redo it when they didn't stay glued down. My own fault...not scuffing the material enough to give it something to grip.

Other than that, I love 'em...great solutions for a number of interesting things.

I'm reviving this as I'd like to know who is a readily available distributor for click bond fasteners and if we can apply them over akzo.

I am looking at these as an alternative to caterpillar grommets for wire standoffs through lightening holes, specifically for nav antenna wiring up a VS.

The answer to this question depends on the preparation and application of the Akzo primer. I used a degrease on my aluminium surfaces followed by a phosphoric acid etch and Scothbrite scuffing followed by an alodine pretreatment, and then the Akzo. The adhesion of the Akzo primer on my plane is just totally tenacious and virtually impervious to most solvents.

When I applied the Click Bonds to the Akzo I just sanded the Akzo locally to get a mechanical grip (followed obviously by a quick MEK wipe) and the Click Bonds adhered to the Akzo so well that you could not get them off. The plastic parts of the Click Bond would fail before the adhesion of the base to the Akzo failed.

In fact I found that the adhesion of the Click Bonds to the Akzo was significantly superior to the adhesion of the Click Bonds applied to straight aluminium (I tested both methods).

So no problem bonding the Click Bonds to the Akzo as long as the Akzo is well bonded to the aluminium.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
An observation

On the medical helicopter I fly for work, (Airbus Astar 350B3e) there are several locations where Click Bond standoffs are used for adel attachments. They are affixed directly to the primed surface.

I asked our mechanic if he has ever seen them come loose. He said no and related he has seen crashed airframes with them still attached. I think that is good enough for me!!

I love Click Bond products. They are a little pricey but it is the most aggressive adhesive I've ever used. Stinks bad but it is not coming off!!!

On the medical helicopter I fly for work, (Airbus Astar 350B3e) there are several locations where Click Bond standoffs are used for adel attachments. They are affixed directly to the primed surface.

I asked our mechanic if he has ever seen them come loose. He said no and related he has seen crashed airframes with them still attached. I think that is good enough for me!!

I love Click Bond products. They are a little pricey but it is the most aggressive adhesive I've ever used. Stinks bad but it is not coming off!!!

Which of their adhesives do you use? They have a number of different types.

Thanks!
Russ

Back