What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (03-25-2013) Garmin G3X Products and Prices

Matt,
I have the old 73 ADAHRS/Eng monitoring unit. Is I want to take advantage of the AOA then I need to ditch my Dynon pitot and replace it with the Garmin one, as well as add the new ADAHRS unit?

Is that the only capability I would gain?

I have the old 73 ADAHRS/Eng monitoring unit. Is I want to take advantage of the AOA then I need to ditch my Dynon pitot and replace it with the Garmin one, as well as add the new ADAHRS unit?

Is that the only capability I would gain?

The simplest change in terms of wiring would be to add a GSU 25 and a GAP 26 AOA probe. This would give you angle of attack as well as dual ADAHRS with automatic cross-compare of important data. This is actually what I've done with my airplane, since I already had GSU 73 installed and wired. It takes about a half-dozen additional wires to go this route.

- Matt

Just to be sure...

Matt -

Just to confirm what I think you wrote in an earlier post, your servos should be compatible the TruTrak pitch and roll servo brackets I've already installed?

These announcements are great timing, by the way...we just reviewed our airplane budget yesterday and I told my wife that Garmin would probably come out with something better really soon, and the old stuff would get cheaper. But it looks like we're getting the best of both!

Dave

GAD 29

Any more information on what the GAD 29
IFR Navigation Adapter is going to do exactly?

I will (by July) already have a GNS650 and G3X installed. What will the GAD 29 do (or the G3X) with it installed that can't be done without it?

Just to confirm what I think you wrote in an earlier post, your servos should be compatible the TruTrak pitch and roll servo brackets I've already installed?

That's correct, the bolt pattern uses the same industry standard as servos from other manufacturers, so existing brackets should be compatible.

- Matt

Any more information on what the GAD 29
IFR Navigation Adapter is going to do exactly?

I will (by July) already have a GNS650 and G3X installed. What will the GAD 29 do (or the G3X) with it installed that can't be done without it?

Hello Bill,

The previous generation "black box", the GSU 73, provided ADAHRS, engine monitoring, and ARINC 429 functionality in a single package. The new generation of black boxes splits these functions into three separate units: the GEA 24 engine monitor, GSU 25 ADAHRS+AOA, and GAD 29 ARINC 429 interface. If you already have a G3X system with a GSU 73 then you don't need a GAD 29 - the ARINC 429 functionality is equivalent.

- Matt

Wow

This is what we have been looking for in a small compact panle like the "8" for some time now. Thanks for listenning and getting it to market. If you could only talk the guys up front into cutting us a deal like this on the 750 Nav. Com., I think you would have me buying the beer. Thanks yours as always #80888 R.E.A. III

Great news

Gush... Will have to redo the panel design again... :D

Really, there is always room for improvement. Congratulation and keep up with the good work !

I was close to ordering a GX autopilot system. But, now it looks like I could order 2 Garmin servos and the GMC305 control head to get a complete 2 axis autopilot sytem controllable through the G3X and/or GMC305.

Is my thinking correct?

Thanks, Mike

[...] it looks like I could order 2 Garmin servos and the GMC305 control head to get a complete 2 axis autopilot sytem controllable through the G3X and/or GMC305.

Is my thinking correct?

Correct indeed!

- Matt

I just installed the TruTrak servo mounts and ran the wiring for GX auto pilot servos, do I need to change anything out for this nice new cheaper (price wise) setup?
Thanks Mike

GMC305.

Hi Matt

Reference the GMC 305, is there any thought of making a vertical mounting module?

It will probably simplified the installation in an RV-4..

Is there anyone looking for a complete Skyview system??:D:D

Thanks

Bruno

70 replies...

.... in LESS than 24 hrs! Must be a world-record! Looks like you guys at Garmin really hit the target here! The new stuff looks REALLY good!

Last edited:
This all sounds great!!

Now where is the bigger screens???

Jake

Jake,

Take a long hard look at this in how they would be mounted and how you would use them. You may find that multiple portrait style screens are just as efficient or more so in terms of actual installation flexibility, usability and redundancy than larger screens.

Other larger screen systems typically divide the screen up into smaller sections anyway that essentially reduce that large screen into smaller functional areas.

Take a 10" Skyview that has 1024 x 600 resolution. In 50/50 split mode, that is 512 x 600... In 40/40/20 mode it gets split up even further. Just remember that a two screen G3X system has 25% more pixels than a 10" Skyview screen and will be very close to the same price....

The point is that there are many more factors to consider other than raw screen size. RV panels are not that big and finding the room to stuff it all in can be a challenge.

Last edited:
I just installed the TruTrak servo mounts and ran the wiring for GX auto pilot servos, do I need to change anything out for this nice new cheaper (price wise) setup?
Thanks Mike

Hello Mike,

I guess it depends on what you're asking. If you want to install your Trutrak autopilot as planned, then obviously you could install it as planned with no further changes. If you want to use your existing servo brackets with our servos, then they should bolt right up. The wiring is different, but depending on what you've got you might be able to re-use the individual wires without re-running them, and just change how they're connected on either end. Or if you were in fact asking a different question let us know and we'll try to help!

- Matt

Reference the GMC 305, is there any thought of making a vertical mounting module?

It will probably simplified the installation in an RV-4.

Hi Bruno,

At this time we don't have any plans to build a vertically-oriented version of the GMC 305. Sorry, I know those RV-3/4 panels are tight! Perhaps you might be able to squeeze it in at the top of your radio stack.

- Matt

What a fantastic setup.

I guess in a few years a panel remake will be needed.

Like someone already stated, where were you. Year ago...

Smilin' Jack

What is the inflight restart (alignment?) capability of the GSU25 ADAHARS unit? If I eliminate the Dynon D-6, add a GSU25 ADAHARS, an additional (second) TCW backup battery and GSU 22 magnetometer to my existing GSU 73 dual screen design, I can have two independent systems. The Dynon D-6 lasts about 2 hours on internal battery. I do not believe the TCW backup battery will last more than 50 minutes. If needed, can I de-power one half of my system and then bring it back up (align?) later if needed? The weight swap for the Dynon is a wash. To those that may question my need for this, may I quote a famous travel author and philosopher….

“Oh the places you'll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with…..….your RV.” Apologies to Dr Seuss

P.S. Yep..... I have extended fuel tanks

Last edited:
What is the inflight restart (alignment?) capability of the GSU25 ADAHARS unit? [...] If needed, can I de-power one half of my system and then bring it back up (align?) later if needed?

Hello Bob,

Sure, that would work fine. Although the GSU 25 only draws about 200 mA at 14V - less if it isn't connected to a magnetometer - so I personally would just leave it plugged in!

- Matt

Garmin's new products

Matt/Steve

Will the Gretx pitot mount work with the GAP 26?
Anyone want an unused pair of TT RV10 servos?

Good job on the new products.

Rick
Southampton, Ont

Will the Gretx pitot mount work with the GAP 26?

Hello Rick,

The GAP 26 uses the standard AN5812/AN5814 pitot tube mounting shape, so any pitot mast that fits a standard "teardrop" shaped pitot tube should work just fine.

- Matt

GAP 26 questions

1: Is the GAP 26 compatible with the Gretz pitot mount with predrilled holes?

8592721368_ec80b8ce7b.jpg

2: How many amps does the heated (un-regulated) version draw? (Or tell me recommended wire sizing for a typical RV-7 install :))

All the new products look awesome.

Thanks

1: Is the GAP 26 compatible with the Gretz pitot mount with predrilled holes?

2: How many amps does the heated (un-regulated) version draw?

1. Yes (see above).

2. At a temperature of -40C, the GAP 26 will draw approximately 12A. As it heats up it draws somewhat less. The regulated version will draw less current yet, depending on ambient temperature.

- Matt

1. Yes (see above).

2. At a temperature of -40C, the GAP 26 will draw approximately 12A. As it heats up it draws somewhat less. The regulated version will draw less current yet, depending on ambient temperature.

- Matt

I don't know how I missed the the above post on the GAP 26 ... maybe it's the excitement about the gear.

Thanks for the quick response.

I have a digiflight II with all the letters. If I installed the G3X with the -305 AP control head, would it would drive my A/P and have Alt preselect/capture, and FLC etc, and still retain the redundancy of the A/P AHRS if the G3X died?

Doug Rozendaal
F-1EVO

I have a digiflight II with all the letters. If I installed the G3X with the -305 AP control head, would it would drive my A/P and have Alt preselect/capture, and FLC etc, and still retain the redundancy of the A/P AHRS if the G3X died?

Hi Doug,

You can do this but you would need to need to get in touch with Trutrak to replace/upgrade your Trutrak Digiflight II head unit for a GX Pilot unit instead. The servos would stay the same.

- Matt

Not that I'm anywhere near making a panel decision, but this is definitely pushing me further towards Garmin instead of Dynon. Sounds pretty cool!

:)

Hi Doug,

You can do this but you would need to need to get in touch with Trutrak to replace/upgrade your Trutrak Digiflight II head unit for a GX Pilot unit instead. The servos would stay the same.

- Matt

Steve, I'm contemplating a panel upgrade with the G3X system on my RV-6. I currently have an S-Tec 30 autopilot. I intend to remove it in favor of your autopilot option but was just curious if you have any idea whether the S-Tec brackets would work with the new Garmin servos. I'm assuming all new brackets, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks, and kudos on the new upgrades and lower prices. :)

Steve, I'm contemplating a panel upgrade with the G3X system on my RV-6. I currently have an S-Tec 30 autopilot. I intend to remove it in favor of your autopilot option but was just curious if you have any idea whether the S-Tec brackets would work with the new Garmin servos. I'm assuming all new brackets, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks, and kudos on the new upgrades and lower prices. :)

Finally something I can actaully comment on before I get beat by everyone else! Indeed you will need new brackets as the Stec's are not similar to any of the current breed of experimental "industry standard" TruTrak designed mounting brackets (Dynon, GRT, AFS, TruTrak, MGL and Garmin).

Cheers,
Stein

My only comment is: I may have to go to work for Stein so I can afford to upgrade my old 6-pack :D

Wow, nice additions to the line.

A couple of questions:

are there any AP functions that are not supported with the TruTrak or Trio autopilot and the GMC 305? For example the level button.

Is there or will there be support for a TOGA input?

are there any AP functions that are not supported with the TruTrak or Trio autopilot and the GMC 305? For example the level button.

Is there or will there be support for a TOGA input?

Great questions, James. Integration between the G3X flight director with GMC 305 and third-party autopilots is one of the last items we are still flight testing, in between blizzards(!). All the FD modes which are currently supported by the G3X/Trutrak integrated system will continue to work as great as they always have. As for the newly added modes such as LVL, we don't anticipate any differences but we should be able to say more soon.

And yes, there is a support for wiring in a TO/GA button just like in the big airplanes!

- Matt

What is speed Schedueling?

Matt

From your first post "When the autopilot is off, the servo provides speed scheduling for the manual trim commands."

I think I hope I'm guessing I know what this means. Please splain-it

This just keeps getting better all the time.......

Thanks

is there an option of having your ap without the G3X. I have a dynon d180 and a garmin 696 and a full panel upgrade is out of the question. But I do want an autopilot in my plane.

From your first post "When the autopilot is off, the servo provides speed scheduling for the manual trim commands."

I think I hope I'm guessing I know what this means. Please splain-it

Hi Bob,

Speed scheduling is a fancy term from the certified world that basically means "electric trim runs slower the faster you're flying".

It's often the case that a trim motor that's usefully fast on the ground ends up being way too sensitive in cruise flight - those with flying RVs will be nodding their heads about now. Since the GSA 28 servo can control your electric trim when the autopilot is engaged, we thought it would be a nice feature to allow it to also be able to act as a smart trim speed controller when the autopilot is disengaged. So once you set it up, you get the benefit of slow and precise trim in cruise flight but fast and responsive trim in the pattern. I should note that there is also a fail-safe built in which connects the trim switch directly to the trim motor in the event that power is removed to the GSA 28 autopilot servo, to allow the trim motor to still run.

I can tell you that once you fly with speed scheduled trim, and you don't have to "stab" the trim buttons anymore, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. It's like having a really nice touring car with intelligent power steering. :)

- Matt

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought it meant. I have flown with variable trim speed and it's great! I love you guys.......
I hope my wife understands if she sees this.......

is there an option of having your ap without the G3X. I have a dynon d180 and a garmin 696 and a full panel upgrade is out of the question. But I do want an autopilot in my plane.

Hello,

Sorry, the G3X displays are an integral part of our autopilot system. Although the GMC 305 mode controller has a reversionary capability to fly the GSA 28 servos to fly level and hold altitude without any displays present, you would still need one of our ADAHRS units to make it work, plus at least one of our display screens in order to get it all set up the first time. However, there are other fine manufacturers of standalone autopilots out there who I'm sure will be happy to talk to you. And if you decide to upgrade down the road, our system can communicate with those autopilots too.

thanks,
- Matt

now, to put in another thought. lets say I go for a G3X and at this time just put it in place of my 696, which is on a ball mount off the right side of my panel, is this a plausable solution or is there just to many wires runing off the G3X and or also the G3X has to be panel mounted. My thought is someday the panel upgrade might be in the works, just not right now.

now, to put in another thought. lets say I go for a G3X and at this time just put it in place of my 696, which is on a ball mount off the right side of my panel, is this a plausable solution or is there just to many wires runing off the G3X and or also the G3X has to be panel mounted. My thought is someday the panel upgrade might be in the works, just not right now.

Mechanically there is not much stopping you from mounting a GDU 37x display wherever you like. We have seen this in at least one other airplane that had a very constrained panel. Electrically, you are looking at one or two runs of coax and a 50-pin connector with a small handful of wires running to the display, assuming a modest set of serial interconnections. Of course you will still need places to mount the ADAHRS, magnetometer, OAT probe, and so forth.

- Matt

Hi I all ready have the g3x system with GX-pilot TT, if i want the new ap control panel how much wire conections will be required?

Regards

I have:

GNS430W
G3X 3Screen with GSU 73 and GMU 44
GX pilot
GTS800
GTX330 (ES)
SL30
AFS AOA

Does the VNV function capture VNAV the same way as the GX pilot?
Will the VNV function ever work on an STAR like the G1000?

I will gain IAS for constant speed descends and climbs and Flight Director if I get the 305 controller but is that all I get if I add it? Smoother level turns with it?

Thanks

Wiring and Remote capabilities

Thanks Mike

I have a couple of questions that will help with where I am currently in the build. I have been split between GRT HXr and the G3x for awhile and there were a couple of questions asked regarding integrating your A/P Roll servo into an already wired wing when it comes to the brackets and wiring. I understand that the brackets will work, but looking at the picture of the servo, my wiring of a 9-pin D-sub connector with 2 sets of twisted pair 22 awg, a single 22 awg engage/disengage, and 2 ea 20 awg for power and ground will not work. By the looks of the picture, Garmins utilize a 15-pin D-sub. My bottom wing skin for that wing has been riveted but now would be the time to add any more wiring needed to drive the servo and possibly scrap the GRT thought process. Any specific info on the wiring of the servo you can provide for those of us at that stage?
My second question has to do with future plans for any remote capabilities such as a remote transponder like the Trig TR21 or TR22, maybe be able to control my SL40 or possibly control or send freq?s to a shiny new GTR?

Hi I all ready have the g3x system with GX-pilot TT, if i want the new ap control panel how much wire conections will be required?

Hello Hern?n,

Adding the GMC 305 to your system would require four wires: power, ground, and two data wires.

- Matt

Back