What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot

aviti

So I?m at the stage of the fuselage build where you install a doubler on the seat rib for the autopilot option. If you don?t plan to ever install the autopilot system can you skip the mounting doubler and other brackets? I?d rather not add extra parts that I know I will not need. Do these provide any function other than mounting autopilot components? In other words, are they required for structural support of no autopilot system is installed?

If you ever sell your plane your future purchaser will greatly appreciate your installing these simple AP brackets now.

I have zero interest in autopilot for various reasons. Cost, weight, time to install, inspect, troubleshoot are all considerations. I don?t fly to go places but rather for pure recreation.

The only valid reason to install the brackets would be for the next owner. I don?t anticipate selling this plane after all the years and money it will take to complete.

One other consideration is that it appears I went a step past the doubler install on the seat rib so it will take drilling out a few rivets to install it now. I wasn?t thinking in terms of future difficulty when I went past that step, only that I don?t want autopilot.

I?ll take a look at drilling out the few rivets and if it looks like no chance for damage I?ll put it in.

For safety I would install the autopilot even if I didn't think I would need it.
If you ever get into the clouds by mistake it can save you buy doing the 180 button and it will turn you around at your altitude and get you into clear skies or you can push the level button and it will take over if you get mixed up.
When Kirk gave the class on auto pilot he advised to always fly with it turn on so if you got into trouble all you have to do is push the button.
It can take some of the tension away if needed.
In smooth air it is great when doing a cross country flight.

I have never regretted installing mine.
Terry

Well technically speaking, to certify as ELSA the plane is supposed to be built strictly to the plans. Unless the plans say installation of the bracket is optional, then it should probably be installed.

Last edited:
Don't know if you're building the classic version or the iS version, but if building the iS version then the harness are prewired with the Sub D connectors installed in the wiring harness. It would be advised to follow the plans unless you're building EAB.

I had 6 airplanes before finishing my RV-12, and none had an autopilot. For 27 years I hand flew trips that frequently were over 1000 NM. I elected to put in the autopilot in my RV-12, and I got so spoiled that I put an AP in my Cherokee too. If you do a lot of cross country flying you will be glad you put in the AP.

I had 6 airplanes before finishing my RV-12, and none had an autopilot. For 27 years I hand flew trips that frequently were over 1000 NM. I elected to put in the autopilot in my RV-12, and I got so spoiled that I put an AP in my Cherokee too. If you do a lot of cross country flying you will be glad you put in the AP.
You'll never know how fatiguing a cross country flight really is . . . until you do the same flight with an autopilot or second pilot handling all the cruise legs.
I would not own a cross country airplane without one. Not to mention the safety aspect.

To each his own but I am not going to spend close to $100k to build a plane with a modern glass panel and not put an autopilot in it. Whether I use it not is a different matter.

As over priced as they are, there a tons of 172's out there for less than the cost of building a 12 if I wanted to own a 100kt plane without an EFIS and new radios and an autopilot.

Joe,

Looking back at the money I spent building 4 homebuilts over the last 30 years I could have bought a nice used Bonanza, but I would have missed out on a very educational and fulfilling build process. If flying is the priority you are better off finding a nice used airplane, but building your plane adds a whole new dimension to the experience.

Rich

Oh I agree. I'm building because I want to build. Buying would be quicker easier and cheaper. But then I'd miss out on the experience of building and that's an experience that I want to have.

But I still stand by my statement. The autopilot adds $2500 to $3000 or a 12ULS kit cost and under $2000 to an iS build. That is such a small percentage of the total cost it seems silly to leave it off when you consider the capability it adds even if you rarely use it.

Back