What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Level attitude..

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I recently rebuilt the panel on my RV-4 and added two Van's fuel gauges, marked in 5, 10, and 15 gallon increments. I want to "calibrate" the gauges by finding out how much fuel is in the tanks at each mark, and I want to do it at a level flight attitude.

When in level flight, are the cockpit longerons level? If not, can someone tell me the proper fuselage position in level flight, and where to measure it, so I can calibrate the tanks?

Thanks,

Chris,

You are correct, sir. You can use the top of your top longerons - the section about two-three feet long that sits under where your canopy comes down (in other words where you would rest your elbow if you were taxiing with the canopy open). Just raise the tail until those longerons are level.

Rick

Thanks, Rick, that's what I was hoping.

I'm going up tomorrow with a marked one gallon jug, level the plane, then add fuel until the gauge reads 5 gallons. Then I'll make a note of how much fuel it took, in both the level and 3-point attitudes. I'll do that for the 10 and 15 gallon marks. Then I'll top off to see how much I have when the tanks read 15. Finally, I'll make a chart to keep in the cockpit so I can estimate fuel while on the ground or in the air.

Does anyone have any info on how accurate the Van's gauges are in a -4?

Thanks, Rick, that's what I was hoping.

I'm going up tomorrow with a marked one gallon jug, level the plane, then add fuel until the gauge reads 5 gallons. Then I'll make a note of how much fuel it took, in both the level and 3-point attitudes. I'll do that for the 10 and 15 gallon marks. Then I'll top off to see how much I have when the tanks read 15. Finally, I'll make a chart to keep in the cockpit so I can estimate fuel while on the ground or in the air.

Does anyone have any info on how accurate the Van's gauges are in a -4?

mine are consistent, but not accurate- having said that, when it has said bingo, there has only been about 2-3 gallons left. when it says half tank, i've had anywhere from 6-9 gallons, which averages true

Back