VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Electronic ignition question.

Researching electronic ignition... Wondering if I need it.
Reading e-mags site, it says the unit doesn't work (well) below 1000 rpm. Is this the way the other brands work as well? I didn't notice it on the lazar site. (though it could be hiding there somewhere) I'm under the impression EI will help my idle smoothness.... Old wives tale?
Also, one site indicated I need to use the "non impulse" mag. Is this because the gears are different? BOTH my mags are impulse coupled... (O-320 D2J) Is there a brand where this doesn't matter?
Crank sensor or hall effect?
Whats the easiest most reliable way for me to get this done?
I guess what I want to know is which one (brand) do you guys like? Opinions welcome. I realize this is probably covered somewhere on this site, and if thats the case, and the arguments are current, I'd appreciate a point out. ;-)

Thanks

Dennis
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM

I have the lightspeed plasma III.
I like it, to each his own.
It is used in the right mag position. I start off of it. The left mag is impulsed coupled. I could start off of it if I had to.
I have the hal sensor. If my crankcase had already been drilled, I would have like the flywheel sensor (less moving parts). I couldn't bring myself to drill my brand new lycoming.
When I do a mag drop check, I get almost zero drop when I cutoff the mag. I get ~100 rpm drop when I cutoff the EI.

Oh, I think lightspeed is coming out with a new pickup.

I would buy this again.
N4IDH

Construction Log
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.”

Mark Twain
Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmadd View Post
Researching electronic ignition... Wondering if I need it.
Reading e-mags site, it says the unit doesn't work (well) below 1000 rpm.
??? They work great below 1000 RPM. I think what you misread was that the internal generator doesn't put out enough power below ~800 RPM to self-power the P-mags. They still work great and allow the engine to idle very slow below 800 RPM. The difference is they are being powered by the ship's electrical system at that point.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM

While I'm a little ways off needing to order the donk, I am still in two minds as to what kind of EI I'll install on it.

At this stage I'm torn between the E-Mag (self-powered, no possibility of phone calls to a cranky Klause) vs the LSE Plasma III that appears to be a better performer, but reportedly comes with some "not-quite-aviation-standard" wires and things.

For use in a -9A, with an IO-320 and a FP prop, what's everyone's recommendations?

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRviator View Post
... the LSE Plasma III that appears to be a better performer, but reportedly comes with some "not-quite-aviation-standard" wires and things.

For use in a -9A, with an IO-320 and a FP prop, what's everyone's recommendations?
News to me. They are about the same.

You roll the dice and take your chances with a mag, P-mag, LSE, G3i, or whatever.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 03-13-2011, 05:37 PM

Cheers, Bill.

I can only go by what others on the forums have said. I don't know anyone who's used either system personally. For reference, I based my performance and quality comments on statements already made here on VAF...
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeddz
But,,, pull the connectors from the wiring when you get them and install better connectors. Get pins, connectors, and a crimper from Stien Air. LSE's come with cheap Radio shack connectors. (Save a few bucks on airplane connectors, is it worth the trouble?)
Link HERE[
Perhaps I'm being cynical or maybe just expecting too much, but if it's such a great system that the Reno guys use it, why are there suggestions to replace parts of it to reduce problems? The E-mag seems to be simple plug-and-play.

So the tradeoff comes down to ease of installation vs possibly better performance, and if the performance gains aren't that great that those outside of racing will notice them, it makes the choice even simpler.

Cheers,

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:00 PM

I have read about that complaint before but in 260 hours with my P-mags I have not had an issue with the connectors. I think the trick is to properly support the wires.

The P-mags have an Adel clamp near the connector (and it can be moved as needed) so what I did was to put a double layer of shrink tubing over the wires where they pass through that clamp. This keeps the wires from moving. Thus, I have not had a problem.

By your comment on performance, I was thinking one produces more power than the other. I’m not sure this is the case. Besides, the P-mag can be tuned to your engine, thus it is more likely to give you better performance, when/if tuned properly.

The flip side of this one connector is that the LSE has many connectors and components that must be properly mounted and wired.

To me the bigger issue is a self-powering ignition vs. one that must rely on a battery that has to be replaced every few years. This adds weight and complexity.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Bill,

I think he was talking about the LSI connectors...
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Bill,

I think he was talking about the LSI connectors...
Duh!

Still, my comments about the P-mag connections are valid.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Duh!

Still, my comments about the P-mag connections are valid.
Yup, they seem to work very well as long as you use the adel clamp as designed. I also used ferrules cuz I had them.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook