What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 firewall forward kit?

Stewie

Well Known Member
Hi All-
I have an O320-D1A converted to injection, fixed pitch. Vans does not list a firewall forward kit for the -4. I spoke with someone in the office and she sent me the FWF parts list for an o320 fixed pitch -7 and said I could modify it to fit a -4. I'm unsure though which parts I need to modify/substitute and speaking with a tech at Vans was frustrating as he stated "every engine is different and we haven't built a -4 here for 20 years".

I'm curious if anyone out there has put together their own basic FWF kit list? Perusing the archives, it seems that there is not a lot of savings versus buying piecemeal, but there would be considerable savings in time and shipping to make a single order to Vans of (most) everything I need for FWF.

Any help would be appreciated. I should note I am a novice builder/pilot, if that helps shape your advice.

Thanks,
Eric

FWF Kit

Hi Eric,

I understand your frustration as I dealt with the same issue when I was finishing up my 4 about three years ago. I think the reason they don't provide more guidance is because everyone routes their cables, fuel lines and just about every other item differently with the 4, versus the more standardized 7, 8 and 9 (and so on . . . ) kits. I recommend just going through the pain of ordering what you need specific to your FWF setup, or you'll end up not using a lot of what they send you. I did use their various FWF kits as a guide, but there's no great way to do this.

I do have to say I spent a lot of money on UPS shipments as you'll find you'll just need a couple small things here and there.

I recommend starting with the exhaust and then working around that, as that takes up a lot of your real estate under the cowl.

Cheers,

Rick

Back