What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Breather Hose

rvbldr3170

Hi All,
What have some of you done with the oil breather line. I don't see where there is room for an air/oil separator, so I assume you just run the hose down and out the center tunnel.
Anyone?

Oil breather

Hi,

I ran a rubber hose to an aluminum line that terminated over one of the two exhaust pipes on the left side. Simple, and per the plans. I have been thinking about installing the Air Wolf mini air-oil separator at the next annual, though. You should have room for this depending on how your engine is set up.

I do aerobatics almost every ride so I do get some oil spillage.

Rick
RV-4 N999XS

Oil Breather

Merle-

I ran a rubber hose to an aluminum tube that runs down the left gear leg inside the faring and exits on the inside of the wheel faring. No oily belly, a little oil on the trailing part of the left wheel faring.

Brad

I was just looking at an RV today that did it like I have seen on a number of aerobatic planes - run a hose all the way down the inside of the fuselage, and exit at the tail. no oil on the belly - but it adds several pounds of tubing though....

I was just looking at an RV today that did it like I have seen on a number of aerobatic planes - run a hose all the way down the inside of the fuselage, and exit at the tail. no oil on the belly - but it adds several pounds of tubing though....

And with that distance, the diameter of the tubing should be increased to reduce restriction.

breather

I ran the breather from the inv oil system to the middle of the gear leg (tube sticks out , no oil on the belly (need to be cut facing foward)
Peter RV6

Merle-

I ran a rubber hose to an aluminum tube that runs down the left gear leg inside the faring and exits on the inside of the wheel faring. No oily belly, a little oil on the trailing part of the left wheel faring.

Brad

I watched a presentation by the NTSB at Oshkosh two years ago about another pilot that had done this to keep oil off their belly. Apparently moisture from combustion condensed and froze inside the line which caused pressure to build in the case and the front oil seal to blow out. The off airport landing totaled the aircraft.

Keeping the line in the engine compartment (and the end just above the exhaust pipe) will prevent any moisture from freezing inside.

I watched a presentation by the NTSB at Oshkosh two years ago about another pilot that had done this to keep oil off their belly. Apparently moisture from combustion condensed and froze inside the line which caused pressure to build in the case and the front oil seal to blow out. The off airport landing totaled the aircraft.

Sorry, forgot to mention to cut a "whistle slot" in the rubber hose section of the breather tube inside the cowling; this will prevent any pressure build up due to freezing condensation in the section of the breather line exposed to very cold air. Have been using this system now for about 800 hrs, often in single digit temps, resulting in substantial spare time from not having to wash the oily belly.

Brad

Back