What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting wire past the F-1004C and D bulkheads

RV10Rob

Well Known Member
It seems like the "bottleneck" for running wire down the sides of the RV-10 fuselage is the F-1004C and D bulkheads (the ones by the wing spar). They have only two 3/4" holes each. What's the best practice for getting more wire past there? Van's won't really say whether drilling more holes or enlarging the existing ones is okay.

-Rob

3rd hole?

IIRC, there is one more hole up higher, take a look just under the door sill.

Mike, I did miss that hole up there the first couple times I looked. That's the second hole, though, so there are still only two per side.

I'm planning on using an "old" Dynon system, so I need to run pitot, AOA, and static lines through there, in addition to all the wires, so I'm curious if/where others have poked extra holes or enlarged existing ones.

-Rob

Just went out and checked----

I added a couple of holes each side, same size and spacing as the originals.

Not an engineer, but as I recall, local tech consular told me it was OK.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike... I called Van's again and this time got the OK, assuming common sense on hole spacing. I added another 3/4" hole on each side.

-Rob

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere (maybe I'm just bad at searching :) ), so thought I'd drop a note for future reference - some people add the third hole but also add one or two doublers to that area - cliffsrv10.blogspot.com has a post about it (no way to link to his posts directly, search for "conduit holes").

IMHO the multiple doublers and amount of rivets he used seem to be overkill, but that's just me - I plan on adding one doubler.

Holes

I added 2- 3/4" holes per side. I installed 4- 3/4" conduits from flap tube area to tailcone and 1- 3/4" each side from under door sill down and under baggage floor to tailcone. I used those for battery cable and static line. I have quite a bit of wiring fore to aft with the 900x. Mag, ahrs,adsb, are all in tailcone. Plus all of the other wiring, landing,taxi,strobe,nav,trim,flaps,antennas,pitot,AOA,OAT,mic jacks,stick wiring,battery cable,static and pitot lines. It starts to add up quick. Hmmm hope I didn't miss anything.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere (maybe I'm just bad at searching :) ), so thought I'd drop a note for future reference - some people add the third hole but also add one or two doublers to that area - cliffsrv10.blogspot.com has a post about it (no way to link to his posts directly, search for "conduit holes").

IMHO the multiple doublers and amount of rivets he used seem to be overkill, but that's just me - I plan on adding one doubler.

I checked with Van's back when I needed to do it, they said it's fine.
A doubler is not necessary.

Back