What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reno

Thanks for posting.

Great to see Neil Wischer made it - he was wait-listed so apparently there were some no-shows?

I assume/hope there are more opportunities to qualify, because I don't see Bob Mills on the list in his Glasair III, and I thought another pilot was going to race his Rocket-6.

Thanks for posting.

Great to see Neil Wischer made it - he was wait-listed so apparently there were some no-shows?

I assume/hope there are more opportunities to qualify, because I don't see Bob Mills on the list in his Glasair III, and I thought another pilot was going to race his Rocket-6.

Plenty of time left to qualify - this was just day 1!

We qualified 28 pilots today in the Sport class.

There were 5 planes that had some sort of issue before the sat 1200 dead line. I was the last stand by to make it.

This years speeds will show lower because the way the speed is calculated changed.

Come by and say hi. We are outside by the T-6s.

Interesting to see a 7 in the 240 range! Wonder about the emp mods. Love the name . . .

YES

Pit pass is a must. you will be glad you did. I am missing this year but have seats and pit passes always.

Is it worth it to pay for the pit pass? My wife and i will be there Saturday.

You mean there is someplace other than the pits?!

I spend most of the week at the races - almost never get into the grand stand area myself....

Work piled up on me so I'm not heading out until tomorrow morning - but I'll be there!

Here is something interesting. The FAA has granted waivers for speed.

The Glasair has a Vne of 300 knots. But note that there are speeds over 400 being clocked by Glasairs.

Jeff Lavelle holds sport gold qualifying and lap records in race 39. 401 is slow for him. He is breaking in a new engine....

Last edited:
RENO Biplanes -Phantom

Not RV related but still experimental.

If you are at Reno this week. Get out there a bit early and watch a purpose built race 230 MPH biplane in action. Phantom, Race 62 is an incredible example of what happens when an experimental design is optimized for going fast and turning left. 62 is scheduled to fly in Thursday's 2A heat at 0855 hrs.

- larosta

Here's a question...my friend's Glasair is clocked at 254 mph. I thought that was pretty good. I know of another Glasair that will do 260.

How do you get from the 250's to over 400 (Jeff LaVelle)? In a Glasair? Or an RV?

Start with installing a twin turbo IO-540 from a Malibu ...
Same way to get an RV-7 to 240, start with a large turbo and a lot of work.
Bear in mind these are lap speeds, straight line speed is higher.

Pete

IMG_4408_zps5fet8x31.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

IMG_4421_zpspq166iqu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The preceding is how to make GIII RG go fast. This is mine, should fly in spring. N360KT reserved.

Cheers
Howard Rhodes

Last edited:
Speed

And ADI and probably special fuel and obscene power settings. Oh and a special prop that allegedly is junk after FIVE hours.

Got it all. This is Jeff Lavelle's package. The package was put together by the builder of Jeff's engine. Got it covered on all bases. No the prop is not junk after five hours.

Last edited:
Reno 2017 Almost In the Can See You Next Year

We finished our support to the airplanes with too many wings today. So far it has been a great year here at Reno and I trust that Sunday will bring the same.

Axel and all of the other RV guy's out there on the hard wooden benches at 0 dark 30, I enjoyed watching you race again this year and continuing to demonstrate the spirit of what Reno is all about. Keep up the good work and we will see you next year.

-larosta

Fantastic! My friend, Glasair pilot and 777 pilot for American, came in 2nd (Silver) yesterday in the Championship race.
Way to go Eric!
See you there next year.

Axel and all of the other RV guy's out there on the hard wooden benches at 0 dark 30, I enjoyed watching you race again this year and continuing to demonstrate the spirit of what Reno is all about. Keep up the good work and we will see you next year.

-larosta

We had a blast. The metal mafia tent was the center of activity all week.

Sorry if i was short with any one. As the week goes on we really get compressed with time and tasking.

Lots of folks interested in the RVs. It was a pleasure to meet so many RVators.

You can get out there too. All it takes is a commitment to it.

Back