What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NACA scoop/fresh air vent

GigAir

Friend
Referencing plans page *29-21 figure 3: instructs you to trim the forward portion of the NACA scoop/air vent, (part SV-10) and install it in the appropriate location. However, when doing so, the contour of the cavity of the scoop, and the skin do not match?..leaving a prominent 1/8? lip where the exterior skin overhangs the cavity.

On the other hand, if you move the scoop aft and allow it to follow the contour of the exterior skin inlet, it yields a 1/2? gap on the forward end of the air vent, where it was trimmed.

We are scratching our heads. *Every other NACA scoop I can remember on other aircraft, blends in uniformly with the skin of the aircraft, with no skin ?lip. And virtually every part in the RV-14a kits, has been an excellent fit.

I would think you would want a smooth aerodynamic airflow, instead of a lip around the cavity. I checked the two RV-14 prototypes, but they both have the original ?flapper valves fresh air vents. No resolution from Van?s thus far.

Has Anyone else seen this? Advice?

Greg Novotny
Gig Harbor, WA
RV-14a #140209
empennage built
wings built
fuselage nearly built

A properly shaped NACA inlet has sharp corners.
The skin edge is not supposed to locate so that it leaves the corner radius of the vent visable. Search some builders web sites for what it should look like.

Back