What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy "electric tape"

PRE911

I have had the electric tape on the canopy for the fairing lay-up for 7 days now, and need about 4 more days to finish the process. (am just sanding up the the edge of tape and need more time to finish. Timing is not good to take off electric tape at this point and replace it.

Anyone experience any negative effects leaving electric tape on more than 48 hours as told not to do under section 5.19 (cleaning and use of liquids)?

Advice please,
Thanks in advance,

Rich

I didn't leave mine on all that long but it seemed to come off pretty cleanly. At least on mine, the adhesive wasn't showing any signs of a potential problem.

No issues

Used electrical tape for two RV8 canopies (2 separate planes). Left on for days, probably closer to 3 weeks and no issues.

The caution is in Section 5 because electrical tape is somewhat a generic term.
There is good quality stuff made by 3m and then there is stuff bought at the dollar store.
Even 3m makes a lot of different tapes. All with possibly different adhesives (and possibly different effects on acrylic).

Since it is known that some tapes have cause problems if left on for too long, it is suggested that the time be limited as much as possible.

Back