What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

James Cowl

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
I?m just about ready to drop the order to Van?s for a slow build RV-8 kit. I?m already working the empennage so I figure with the eight week time line for shipment I need to move forward.

I?m looking to use a James Cowl. As such I need to delete the standard Van?s cowl in my order. So ? looking for recommendations of the RV-8 James Cowl group ? yes or no?

I?ll be using a stock IO-360 from Van?s ? the 180 hp version.

Thanks,
Carl
RV-8A, sold
RV-10, sale pending (and it breaks my heart)
RV-8, tail kit

Not an RV-8 flyer, but I'm very happy with my SJ cowl and plenum, in terms of both looks and performance. In my experience, the SJ cowl took some additional hours related to the intake air/filter assembly. The cowl itself was no more time than a Vans cowl, and maybe a tad less due to its excellent finish quality.
The plenum offers spectacular cooling in my case. The downside is the necessity of removing it to access top plugs or injector nozzles. Since nozzle tuning for FI is an iterative process, the plenum really adds to the turn-around time. Would a do an SJ plenum and cowl again? You bet. :D

Back