What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD 822 weldment alignment?

SgtZim

Well Known Member
I'm working on the forward fuselage, bending and fitting the parts prior to assembly, and have an issue with hole alignment on the WD822 steel weldment. There seemed to be a problem when I fitted the cover panel on the gear tower, and I tried to cleco everything together including the outer skin to verify the problem. The skin matches everything fine except the weldment. If I were to guess the issue I'd say the weldment was not jigged well or the holes were not referenced correctly. All the holes are accurate relative to each other, but the unit doesn't mesh with the skins.

Waiting for Van's comments or guidance on this. Has anyone else had this issue?

Last edited:
update

Van's is going to cut out new skins without punching holes for me, and I'll use the old ones as templates to drill the holes - all except the ones over the gear weldment plate, then I'll match drill those after the skins are clecoed in place.

I'd suggest to anyone about to rivet together their landing gear towers, to cleco the outer cover plates on as a check before permanently riveting the weldment to the bulkheads. Easy check to see if you'll have an issue later. It is tricky to make prepunched holes line up - especially if your are working with more than two pieces in more than one plane - again I'm surprised this is not a recurring problem. Just me I guess. :)

Back