What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Paint and Sikaflex

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for a paint to use on the inside of the RV-8 canopy skirts, that Sikaflex 295UV will adhere to well?

The Sikaflex is not the only thing holding the skirts on at the ribs or bottom of the frame, but it will be the only thing on the top edge as I am not drilling any holes through the plexiglass.

As you can imagine, I really don't want to have it separate there. I was thinking a two-part epoxy paint would be best, but I need it in a matte black, and the Akzo-Nobel two part paint I have is white, and only order-able in gallon+pint quantities. I guess alternatively, I could put an additive like black oxide into the Akzo-Nobel to color it black, but I don't know if that would weaken it.

I can try experiments on it, but I was hoping if anyone has gone this path before me, I might save doing a bunch of trial and error tests, given that a prep/paint/Sika/dry cycle is over a week.

Mask it

I masked the skirts in the area of Sika before painting. I like the way it turned out.

type of Sika

Blain - I was thinking about that. Did you just keep using 295UV between the fiberglass and steel, or did you use the Sika 921?

Back