What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

confession

mattsmith

Well Known Member
I think it is time for a confession, I know absolutely nothing about fiber glass, and I mean nothing besides it makes you itch. I have started fitting my cowl and when that is done I will start on the canopy skirt so I have a lot of questions I have tried to get answers from the internet but most of the time that answers one and creates two more. Are there any good books that explain how to work with glass as it pertains to aircraft, I saw a DVD on Vans website is this a good source? Where is a good place to get the supply?s needed and how much do I need? I know I need to use epoxy resin but what kind, I have heard the brand name west systems used a lot around here but when I Google it comes up as west marine, is this the right stuff I was told don?t use the kind of glass that is meant for boats? Do I need to get glass cloth and if so what weight and style? Like I said I have a lot of questions so it would probably be better to get some kind of book or DVD.
I belong to the local EAA chapter and have asked these questions there but no one has any experience with glass ether.
Oh yea what is flox

Thanks for any help with this, Matt

Matt,

Give me a call over the weekend and we can talk about fiberglass. I'm no expert, but have learned a few things and maybe can help with your cowl etc.

greg

Having someone local is by far the best way...

my nearest builder is one hour away...still extremely helpful.

I got everything from ACS and will have plenty to share when I am finished. I'll keep a little for repairs. Working on my cabin top/trimming transparencies. Both are messy but a nice change for awhile. Have fun.

Epoxy

There are many brands of suitable epoxy; West Systems is readily available and works fine. The West Systems website has a lot of great information. See: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

Sam James has a DVD/VHS tape ("Fiberglass 101") that is helpful. Available from Spruce and James Aircraft.

Flox is short for flocked cotton-cotton fibers that have been ground into a fine fibers/almost like a powder. Flox is mixed with epoxy as a structural thickener to make a paste. Adds strength, but is used only where necessary because it's really hard to sand compared to straight epoxy.

Dan Horton ("DanH" in the forums) has written several great articles here on VAF to show the techniques required for most tasks. A good one to learn how to do fairings is at http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22931&highlight=fiberglass+cloth

This one has some tips on what to buy.

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited:
flox is actually very finely Chopped fibers, and that is the reason it is able to transmit forces- they move along the fibers. The main reason it isn't used all over the place is because it is Heavy

"micro" is microspheres mixed into the epoxy resin/ hardner mix, and is not structural, it doesn't carry any load. it is used to form lightweight shapes. they are really small glass bubbles, hence the light weight

Sounds like you are moving right along.

Matt, do you have a Tap Plastics in your area? I got all of my supplies there, and some, but not all of the employees are knowledgeable. Regarding flox does not work well as a filler. It is too hard to sand. Use microspheres for that. Call if you have more questions Steve 707 972-3582

Matt,

The marine grade resin is what you need. West Systems can be ordered from Spruce and is recommended. Also order the hand pump as it automatically mixes the resin and hardener for you. Also West Systems 410 filler as well as flox will be needed. The 410 filler is light weight and easy to sand. The flox should only be used when strength is required but is dirt cheap. Buy a box of latex gloves and blue painters tape at home depot aviation. All this stuff is easy to use and you will adapt quickly, nothing to be concerned about however if you can get some local help the first time it will shorten the learning curve.

Pat

Thanks for all the replies; I think I at least have a starting point. Greg Arehart
stopped by and straitened me out, thinks Greg. One question I forgot to ask everyone is do I need to do anything to the finish on the empennage tips and wing tips as far as protection if I don?t plan to paint for a year or so?

Matt,

No, I don't think so. Mine were unpainted for almost a year and lots of folks have left theirs unpainted for longer. Might be more of an issue if you lived in someplace like southern Arizona and left the airplane outside.

greg

Back