What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flux, Fabric or what?

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Just a question on some cosmetic repairs of fiberglass. While installing the rudder tip last night I chipped some of the trailing edge and side while pushing it in place. I suppose it cracked while notching out that end.

IMG_1883.jpg

My idea to repair is to sand the notched out area down maybe a mm or two and replace with a small piece of cloth or maybe two. Before it cures push it back in place (protecting the aluminium with tape) and allow to cure for a day or so. Then come back and sand it to the right shape.

The other thought is forego the cloth and just mix up some microballoons and use that but would like to hear what others think.

Thanks!

I'm not a FG expert but I think the micro-balloon option would be fine. Otherwise, you could cut up some glass fibers small enough to fill the void.

Fiberglass is some messy stuff. Doesn't start out messy but in the end I look like a 3 year old making a cake!

I think I'm getting a bit better at working with it. Actually using these empennage pieces to test out all the techniques I've read about. This week I'm going to rough it up a bit and try skim coating. Also going to try a micro coat to have a smoother appearance.

Quick question on sanding, if I'm going to an extremely smooth look what grit paper should I use? By smooth I mean the look of the pieces when you get them from Vans.

Back