What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 baffling is baffling

flion

Well Known Member
I'm sharing my Kitlog entry, which has pictures of the problem I'm having. Basically, the CB-1007 does not seem to fit my engine and will need some pretty extensive surgery to go around the oil relief valve. Because the baffling kit on my RV-6A fit so well, not to mention the left rear section of this kit, I'm suspicious that I'm missing something obvious or simple. Can some of you who have fitted your IO-540 baffles post some pictures of the right-rear? Thanks. And for those of you at Oshkosh, have a great (and safe) time!

Thanks, Joe. Actually, you had a couple of useful shots in there but I'm still not seeing why mine is having an issue. I'll keep staring at it until I figure it out.

ND vs WD?

Patrick,

Is your engine a narrow deck one?

I had exactly the same issues fitting Vans O-360 baffling to my narrow deck engine. The cases between the narrow deck and standard deck engines look similar, but end up being quite different at the rear baffle area and around the forward section.

Patrick,

Is your engine a narrow deck one?

I had exactly the same issues fitting Vans O-360 baffling to my narrow deck engine. The cases between the narrow deck and standard deck engines look similar, but end up being quite different at the rear baffle area and around the forward section.

Yes it is a narrow deck. You can see the banana plate on the cylinder in the first photo of the Kitlog entry. So, what did you do? Any pictures?

Ok, that wasn't so bad. Here's the Kitlog entry. I still need to replace the CB-1007B brace. And I'm going to revisit this thread when I get to the front of the engine (sometime after it's been hung on the mount - I'm just doing the back now to make things easier before I hang it). I suspect, with my luck, that the front will take more work, so I thought I'd document it here, indirectly through my Kitlog site, for anyone else who might have a narrow deck engine to hang.

Yes it is a narrow deck. You can see the banana plate on the cylinder in the first photo of the Kitlog entry. So, what did you do? Any pictures?

Mine was a narrow deck O-360 so the mounting ears are different. I had to cut away the rear baffle on the pilots side so much around the hole for the mounting bolt I had to make a doubler plate. I had to make a new support angle piece under the oil pressure regulator.

Around the front it was just cut to fit, not the usual nice fit I expected from the new baffle kits.

As I said, the cases look similar but the curves and bulges are quite different. :)

Question, what is the width of the baffling material on the rear and sides incliding overlap. Would 3 inches in width for the sides work. MacFarland has a low friction, but flexible baffle material I was thinking on using instead of the Vans supplied. They claim much less friction and better sealing.

Question, what is the width of the baffling material on the rear and sides incliding overlap. Would 3 inches in width for the sides work. MacFarland has a low friction, but flexible baffle material I was thinking on using instead of the Vans supplied. They claim much less friction and better sealing.

I think yes. I have a pretty consistent 1/2" gap between the top of the baffles and the cowl. I did 2" of material sticking up over the top and one inch down the sides, fastened 1/2" down.

Joe,
Did you make the round domed cap that covers the aft engine mount bolt?
Thanks,
Jerry Folkerts

Back