What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A Nose Gear bolts?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi All,

I am upgrading my old nose gear to the newer fork and decided to purchase a new gear leg as well.

I checked the drawings and I can't find the bolt that attaches the leg to the engine mount.

The only bolt/washer/nut combo I can find is the one for the gear to fork:
-AN365-524 Nut
-AN960-516 Washer
-AN5-17A Bolt

Is that the same set used for the leg to engine mount as well?

Thanks,
Dan

Dwg 46A of the updated plans show

AN5-20A bolt
AN960-516 washer
MS21045-5 all metal lock nut

Bolt is inserted upwards through a 1 inch hole in the lower firewall.

Thanks Gil!

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the bold placed downward? that way, if the nut fell off, the bold would still be held in place due to gravity?

Dan

Thanks Gil!

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the bold placed downward? that way, if the nut fell off, the bold would still be held in place due to gravity?

Dan

That was the old way of doing it...:)

The problem may be tapping out the old bolt, you will need some sort of pulling method.

If the old bolt is loose and falls out you may need an oversize bolt.

No matter which way you install the bolt, (mine is installed from the top and has never been a problem removing) be sure to measure the shank at each end.... near the head, and near the threads. The bolts have a little taper just at the end of the threads and there is where the motor mount contacts in shear. If installed with the taper of the bolt within the tube, the bolt is only supporting the head end in shear during a side load on the nose gear and can cause the bolt to shear off in extreme cases because it is only holding shear by 50%.I went with the next longer bolt and adjusted with washers.

As far as removing the bolt on my 6A, I just clamped a vise grip on the bolt head, and just tapped it out with a small hammer. Very easy to install, just tap in and install washer and nut as the threads appear out the bottom... there is room to do this without a hole in the firewall on a 6A. I did need to add a washer under the head for the best fit.

Thanks Gasman,

My order for the new gear and fork was placed today. so I am hoping to match drill and get it installed next week sometime.

I have been making fixes to the airplane since I purchased it and can't wait to get it in the air.... safely.

All the best,
D

Back