What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX 345 Software Updates

rv4ator

I purchased & installed the GTX 345 in Nov 2016. At the time I was told that we home builders could install the transponders but could not perform any software updates to the 345, only dealers could do it. Has that changed?

I could not find on the Garmin website what the current software version is. In my 345 I have v2.03 XPDR, 2.02 ADSB & 6.0 GPS. I do not no if these have been updated or if still current.

Steve or anyone, is my unit current? If not, do you know if Garmin will be at the AOPA fly-in at the end of April in Camarillo, CA & be performing updates if I bring the unit to them?

The Garmin guys did an update for my GTX 45R today at SnF. They can do it for the experimental group. Most of the current changes impact euro customers. The one good in this software update for us allows the GTX to separate airborne vs ground tcas alerts.

Last edited:
I purchased & installed the GTX 345 in Nov 2016. At the time I was told that we home builders could install the transponders but could not perform any software updates to the 345, only dealers could do it. Has that changed?

I could not find on the Garmin website what the current software version is. In my 345 I have v2.03 XPDR, 2.02 ADSB & 6.0 GPS. I do not no if these have been updated or if still current.

Steve or anyone, is my unit current? If not, do you know if Garmin will be at the AOPA fly-in at the end of April in Camarillo, CA & be performing updates if I bring the unit to them?

Hello rv4ator,

Yes, GTX software updates are done by Garmin dealers, and we normally perform these updates for EAB customers at SNF and OSH. We are doing them this week at SNF.

Here is a previous posting explaining that we are installing V2.10 in GTX 345 transponders this week. It also contains a link to the service letter explaining the software changes in V2.10.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1151671&postcount=2

Thanks,
Steve

GTX 335 updates

Steve,

Granted this thread is about the 345 but my comments are probably relevant. I was excited about the recent offer for a GTX 335 with GPS at a significant savings of $2995. I need to replace my older Collins TDR-950 soon and get on the ADSB out bandwagon. Is it my understanding that I can install the transponder myself, do all the wiring, accomplish the ground and flight tests but I will not be allowed to download the latest software to an SD card and do something as simple as a software update?

On a day to day basis how will I know if the transponder software is even up to date if there is no posted data anywhere?

I am sure I won't be the only RV driver curious about this issue. So we can build entire airplanes but only Garmin will be allowed to update my transponder? I am very pleased with everything Garmin that I own but unless there is something I don't know (which is a pretty common occurrence) how does this pass the common sense test?

Oly

Last edited:
Just to clarify a bit, unless you are an FAA repair station with the appropriate rating and test equipment, you cannot do the required ground tests, technically speaking the ground tests should also be repeated after a software update or when the unit is R&R'd as well.

Transponder

Yeah copy that Walt. I guess I was referring to the ground taxi tests. I would of course have my avionics guy do the transponder check.

Thanks for the input

Last edited:
Back