What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS 4500/3500 question

Dave12

Well Known Member
I am in the process of buying a RV9 that is very tastefully appointed with AFS 45/3500 displays. I?m curious what these displays offer up in the mapping department? Low Altitude Enroute, approach, sectional, airport diagrams? I?m behind the curve on these. Up until now I?ve been a D180 and Skyview man.

I am in the process of buying a RV9 that is very tastefully appointed with AFS 45/3500 displays. I?m curious what these displays offer up in the mapping department? Low Altitude Enroute, approach, sectional, airport diagrams? I?m behind the curve on these. Up until now I?ve been a D180 and Skyview man.

If the 4500 is a ?S? cpu model, you can display approach plates and airport diagrams through a support subscription through AFS. The other charts are only available on the 5000 series.

Also both of these 4500/3500 can be upgraded to 5400 touch with all the newest bells and whistles without too much effort.

Yes, but will be costly

I think that's only if you have the "S" model. If you don't the cost isn't far off from a repurchase, if I recall correctly.

Also both of these 4500/3500 can be upgraded to 5400 touch with all the newest bells and whistles without too much effort.

I recently upgraded my 3500EF non-S to a 5400T and kept my 3500EM non-S. I can share my experience if you PM any questions.

Back