What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

max temp of proseal

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i need to have aluminum welding done close to an inspection hole in a fuel tank. the inspection hole doubler and nutplates are sealed with flamemaster. a call to the mfgr. was an exercise in futility. i can't find any info in the msds sheet. i am wondering what the max temp is i can heat the area to without damaging my sealant. any info is appreciated.

What are you welding?

I'm not sure what your welding, but the RV tanks are made from 2024 (welding not recommended for 2XXX series aluminum)..but you can make a heatshield per say for the nutplate area with some water soaked rags or paste insulation. TIG/MIG welding doesn't create as much heat as torch welding. I have seen Proseal handle some pretty good heat, but do not have factual temperatures.

not a van's tank. my own design. 5052 aluminum, very weldable. the welds will be 4-5'' from proseal and not a continuous weld. spot 1/2'' skip a couple inches etc. i was thinking about a wet towel and my take on it is that will work but would like to see any opinions.

Proseal

I can not fathom a worse smell that the smell of burning proseal while attempting to weld a piece of alum. It?s kinda hard to describe. You will definitively remember it though.

Can you have a wet cloth or something over the proseal area to keep that cool while welding?

yep, with a working temp way above boiling i can keep it cool enough with a wet towel. welder says it probably won't even get too hot to touch in that area.

Back