What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Oregon

Pacific City, Oregon

I like to fly into Pacific City, Oregon. The runway is narrow and about 1700 feet long. There are no serices there, just parking. There are a couple of places to eat just off the north end of the runway. The service is not always fast, but it is friendly. There is a motel adjacent to the airport property. The beach is just a short walk from the airport, and Cape Kiwanda is about a 30 minute walk north up the beach. They launch and recover Dorys in the surf just south of Cape Kiwanda.

Pacific City is off the beaten path. A nice quiet place to visit.

Bob Severns

Last edited by a moderator:
The Starduster

at Independence, Oregon (7S5) has hamburgers so big, you might not be able to take on full fuel...even if you're flying solo. Come on by...and don't forget to sign the RV visitors log!! Restaurant is open 6AM to 3PM, 7 days a week.

Fuel as of 1/17/2007 is 3.65/gal

Tell Dave I sent ya!

Bob

We've been to the Starduster Cafe several times. The food and service are good. We were there in our RV-6 with a friend in a T-18 about a month ago.
We haven't had many VFR days in the south end of the valley lately. Hopefully, the freezing rain and fog will be behind us soon. Our airplane needs excersize.

Sunriver S21

Sunriver (S-21) is a great place. The Resort has many offering such as a 6 mile canoe float, horse rides, all within a short walking distance from the tiedowns. Many pilots come just to dine in the lodge restaurant. The resort van will pick you up, and take you, just ask for it at the FBO. This year they added courtesy bikes for all that fly inn. 26 miles of bike paths

Whoa!

Sunriver is a wonderful destination, especially if you like to golf or bike. Flying there from the Willamette Valley, you get to fly by The Three Sisters.

Here is something a little more primitive in the Eagle Cap Wilderness Area in NE Oregon:

http://www.minamlodgeoutfitters.com/gettinghere.html

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/minam-lodge/2269271007

If you are thinking about going into Reds Horse Ranch or Minams, bring you PA-18, C-180, C-185, etc. Leave your RV at home. Rough field conditions exist as runway is also used as a horse pasture according to caretaker.....:eek:

more info

Thanks for the caveat Joe. I probably should have vetted my post a little better. I have been into Red's Horse Ranch a couple of times in a Cessna 182 with Randall Henderson flying, but haven't taken my RV-4 in there yet. They are end to end in a narrow canyon, and density altitude is a real issue on hot days. I didn't walk the strip at Minam Lodge, but there is gravel on Red's that can ding your flaps and horizontal stabilizer. We lost a belly strobe when we camped at Red's. The caretaker gave us stakes and some rope to put around our plane at night to keep the horses from rubbing or nibbling on it.

Do a google search for "landing at minam river lodge" and you will see some more videos of landings there and at Red's Horse Ranch. Don't land there unless you are an expert pilot experienced in mountain flying and have the appropriate aircraft.

We flew from Red's and then landed on the Alvord Desert in SE Oregon. There are hot springs available there, and lahotian cutthroat trout in nearby Mann Lake. Google Alvord Desert Hot Springs. I haven't visited the hot springs myself, but you may burn your fanny or worse at the hot springs (174 degrees at source), so proceed at your own risk there too.

Tillamook

Tillamook, (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KTMK) on the Oregon coast, has a nice cafe and of course the Tillamook Air Museum. When my wife and I flew there last time we were watching the P-51 do a low pass over the airport. We then landed and the P-51 landed on our heels. Very cool as we both pulled up to the same ramp to park. The museum has many books and videos in the gift shop and the musuem it self is excellent for being contained in a blimp hanger with over 30 War Birds.

Overall it is a nice lunch stop and great place to take a passenger.

http://www.tillamookair.com/

NickAir

Air Museum @ Hood River 4S2

Folks,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fantastic air museum at 4S2. It has numerous historic aircraft, including the first Jenny, that's right, serial #1. Not to mention that they all are flown regularly. A really good collection of old autos also. From the west, it's fun to fly just to the N. of Mt Hood, then return thru the majestic Columbia Gorge down low.

Today's Oregonian has a feature article on them here: http://www.oregonlive.com/info/drivetime/index.ssf?/base/automotive/1226701510276740.xml&coll=7

Check out the museum here: http://www.waaamuseum.org/index.php

Welcome to Oregon!

Jerry
N18XP RV6a

Give Siletz Bay S45 a try

You can walk to the excellent Side Doors Cafe across 101, then continue walking to beach. No need for courtesy cars for a day on the beach!

Salishan resort will also supposedly give you a ride if you call ahead, but haven't done that myself.

I've been to siletz bay and ate at Salishan lodge. They use to have a great Sunday brunch and monitored 122.7 and would come and pick you up. It has been a long time (20 yrs) since I did that though....

Last edited:
Gold beach is great. I think there is a courtsey car located there if you reserve it. If you go and want an awesome place to stay on the river, stay at Tu Tut tin lodge and go catch a few spring chinooks....

McMinnville: MMV

The FBO will rent you a car for $5, which you can take downtown to any of many restaurants/tourist activities. Also, the Evergreen Museum is across the street from the airport and they will come and pick you up.

http://www.sprucegoose.org/

It's where the spruce goose is now located.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Independence has been mentioned....and bears repeating. Excellent omelates, great atmosphere....and it seems half the houses have an RV or two in each hangar.

Lenhardt Airpark: 7S9
An awesome strip, with a great group of guys. Friday morning a crowd gathers to eat doughnuts. There's quite a few RV's on field, and the gas is almost the best price in the state. Calm wind runway is 20. Very close to Aurora.
Tillamook hasn't been mentioned yet. The air museum there is a must see also. If you can catch a ride, the cheese factory is a great tour as well. Especially with all the samples!

No need even for...

Gold beach is great. I think there is a courtsey car located there if you reserve it. If you go and want an awesome place to stay on the river, stay at Tu Tut tin lodge and go catch a few spring chinooks....

...the car since you can walk to the Jet Boat dock for a neat ride...

http://www.roguejets.com/

http://www.mailboat.com/

6.jpg

...a little different from Tucson...:)

Newport

Susan and I did a flight Sunday to the Oregon coast and landed at Newport (KONP). Had not been there for a few years and were astonished at the level of friendly service we encountered. We were greeted on unicom by Terry Durham who guided us to parking, then he fixed us up with a courtesy car which turned out to be a retired police car, a huge black Ford sedan complete with red spotlites. This was a real hoot to drive as other cars stayed well away. No siren or overhead lites tho...

We drove into town, did a bay tour recommend by Terry then went to a charming 50's style hamburger joint called "Flashbacks" complete with Elvis memorablilia etc... Excellent food, great service.

Newport also has the world class Oregon Coast Aquarium just a couple miles S of the airport, a must see. http://www.aquarium.org/

Best of all, every Saturday they host a BBQ at the airport for visiting pilots from 11am~1pm and we will surely check that out soon. They welcome you to bring any of your own fixin's, dessert etc if you wish. Last time they had freshly caught halibut, I understand.

They have 3 courtesy cars, but might be best if you call ahead, especially on Saturdays if you need one. 1.541.867.7422

Bend oregon

Flew into Bend Ore (KBDN) today delivering some late x-mas presents to the nephew. Santa's sleigh was a white and black RV-9A with Rudolf (an o-320 lycoming and garmin 296) leading the way.

Had lunch at the resturant above the FBO. NEW OWNERS!! As of three months ago, open 7am-7pm 7days a week. Food was good, prices fair and the place was clean. Great view of the runway and of planes a comming and a going as you dine, deck outside for the warm summer months ahead. They are a couple miles out of town and probably get little support other than us aviation guy's. Give em a brake and make them a destination, I'm sure they would appreciate it. Besides, I told them I would put a good word out for them.

Also, Gibson Air Services back in business on field (original FBO from the 50's) if you need anything (two bldgs south of resturant).

Tell them doug sent you.

Twin Oaks Airpark, Breakfast

EAA chapter 105 first Saturday each month Fly-In breakfast. $5 ($2 for kids) still buys you blueberry pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, juice, coffee, oh and GRITS! We serve 200 to 400 hungry folks from 8 to 10am.
The Stark's Twin Oaks Airpark 7S3 has about the best price on 100LL too.
This month I flew in and did my turn as cashier. The cooks and KP duty rotates alphabetically and they were on the end of the alphabet so you would have seen Mr R.V. And his brothers flipping cakes and such. Always great company and lots of aircraft to see.

Farm land on the way...
2hz79qv.jpg

Final runway 22
24gm5oo.jpg

Willamette River...
9rjbjd.jpg

Final KUAO 35 white building far right is Van's
2q2i7gl.jpg

when you're ready to separate the men from the boys, fly into historic Red's Horse Ranch near La Grande, 6OR9. you get one shot, one direction. there's a dog leg in the runway, gravel, and deep trenches on each side, and down mountain winds, downwind, in the afternoon. fun, been there 3 times. https://www.airnav.com/airport/6OR9 [don't land with a lot of fuel or a fat passenger]

3S7 Nehalem Bay/Mazanita is our favorite Oregon beach spot.

Typical Oregon Coast
28lb692.jpg

Manzanita beach. Airstrip is carved out of the trees just ahead of my wheel pant. From the strip to the beach is all state park, camping of all types, even horse camp if she will fit in you ride. Town is two miles beach walk North. We rent bikes for trips back and forth. 20 bucks each for 24 hours.
730z76.jpg

North approach over the bay. Windsock can't be trusted...
m9rfj9.jpg

x3rm.jpg

ic65ap.jpg

Several tent camping sites on the field. Yurts, Trailer, and more tent sites across the street along with showers, ice, firewood...check Oregon State Parks website.
2z5ov3t.jpg

Some more scenes South
3tvdz.jpg

iq91dd.jpg

Timely

I plan a scouting trip Nehalam this weekend. My wife wants to camp with the horses this summer and this campground has corrals on some sites with lots of trails

My plan is to let her and her girlfriend drive down and I will fly down, then while they ride horses I will fly my RV

Cheers

You'll love it

I plan a scouting trip Nehalam this weekend. My wife wants to camp with the horses this summer and this campground has corrals on some sites with lots of trails

My plan is to let her and her girlfriend drive down and I will fly down, then while they ride horses I will fly my RV

Cheers

Great place for duel purpose trips. We were thinking about this summer, two in the plane and two in the Miata. The -8 has more baggage room...
Sand Dune Pub is good food with outdoor dog friendly seating.
Crabbing is great fun http://www.wheelermarina.net

PM received. Thank you.
WOW
Thats all I can come up with after looking at the pics. :) Just... WOW.
Well done. ;-)

Dennis

Tillamook

We flew into Tillamook for the first time a couple weeks ago. Great stop: brand new terminal (note the terminal/FBO is on the opposite side of the field from the air museum), courtesy car (we were there for a few days so got a rental car from E&E Auto Body), instrument approach, and sometimes better weather than directly on the coast. We met Warren, the airport manager, on the way out. He was very friendly and offered to put the airplane in a hangar if they had extra space next time we?re in town. He also let us know there?s camping on the field with power and bathrooms. Fuel was $5.75. We?ll be back.

Also, for the beer fans, in addition to the fantastic Pelican Brewery in downtown Tillamook and Pacific City, there's also a newer, highly-rated brewery near the museum: De Garde Brewing.

The area itself is beautiful, of course.

Turning final into Tillamook:
WP_20140918_011-XL.jpg

Back