What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Georgia

I would stay in Savannah and pop down to Jekyll Island. Any city could be "done" in a day. If you want to have a nice vacation come to Savannah and stay somewhere in the historic district and close to the river and TAKE YOUR TIME while strolling the city. Enjoy meals along the river front and watch large cargo ships steam up and down the river. Go to the Mighty Eighth Museum in Pooler (just to the west of Savannah and four miles from KSAV.) You can also visit Fort Pulaski and Tybee Island. I visited Savannah in 1991 and then in 1997. I ended up moving here in 1997.

day inadequate

opinion only here- - one day is not enough for savannah. ts mentioned 8AF museum, our local forts and river street. that would take a day alone. we have several many a lot of museums which warrant a visit, a good brewery, too many places to eat, america's most psychically possessed house, dead people in the east-west runway. . .. the list goes on. the bad news is the evil signature runs most everything at the airport.

Jekyll Island and RYY

I went down to Jekyll Island last weekend and it was a great time. We ate (and drank) at the RahBar. The music was good as well as the food. The RedBug cars are now $75 per day. Stayed in a ocean view room for $90 (can't think of the hotel name). The airport is nice other than no fuel. I will be back.

RYY has a place to eat on the northside of the field called "Elevation Chophouse" You can park within rock throwing distance. I thought the food was good.

Jekyll

Went to Jekyll for Easter weekend. Very nice. Read the NOTAMS, there's a warning for Alligators on the runway. Sure enough, when we landed there was a police car on the taxiway and an adult gator sitting there. Pretty cool.

Stayed at the club, rented a bike, saw the whole island and ate at Rahbar. Music was good, shrimp were AWESOME! Lowcountry boil left a lot to be desired. Otherwise, an absolutely wonderful aviation getaway!

Oh yeah, take some bug spray with you. Biting flies were nasty! And the club sold a small can off DeepWoods OFF! for $14!!!!!!!

Highly recommended!

Jekyll and HIDE!

Just got back from 2 days at Jekyll Island on my way home from Waxhaw NC (JAARS). Having had a chance to stop at alot of cool airports across the USA, Jekyll Island is no exception! Located right on the beach (it's an island!), old historic district with great hotel and great food! Before we even had the Rocket canopy open Richard Van Iderstyne who owns Red Bug Cars offered me a car FREE for the day! "Just tell other pilots about this place"was his quote. His rates are reasonable and you can reach him at 912-635-9330. Very Cool!
We toured the island and decided to spend the evening so we secured quarters at the Jekyll Island Club, a historic hotel. Being a Wednesday the girl offered me a room at half price with free breakfast, working weekends has it's advantages! Some sights worth seeing were: The sunset from the Rah Bah, Plantation Blvd and Da Beach (OK, better than Kuwait but being from Destin, even Hawaii has a tough act to follow) and many historic homes.
People were friendly, seafood and raw oysters excellent and bugs no worse than here at the swamp! Jekyll Island is an easy "Rocket Hour" from anywhere in the SE USA. Y'All Come!

Rob Ray
F16,RV4ormerly
HR2 Currently

PS: If you depart south, fly over Cumberland Island, famous for Wild Mustangs, (yep horses)!

Rocket at Jekyll

Jekyll Island Club

Red Bug!

Our "Cottage"

Killer Sunset

Last edited:
Gotta Love FREE...

Even Hilton Head has free popcorn, free coffee/tea, free courtesy car and pulls your airplane up front for you in the morning...very cool!

Smokey

and LZU EAA690 pancake breakfast - first Sat morning every month. Always well attended. The aforementioned Flying Machine restaurant has great food and service.

PDK is open - great food. Very busy airport. Be prepared for rapid fire ATC. Busiest class D, I think??

Vern's airport over there in Peachtree city is also home to Aircraft Spruce, right on the field.

Dublin is a nice midpoint between Atlanta and Jax. They'll give you a courtesy car to go into town.

Rome is cool - if you want to practice ILS approaches without a tower, that's the spot. I think the restaurant there has been opened/closed several times. not sure what current status is.

Village Deli - KDNL

Yesterday, my instructor came over to the hangar while I was finishing putting the wheel pants back on. Over my shoulder I asked him "so where we flying today?" He said "how about Augusta for some ASR approaches and lunch?".

We hop in the plane and go! In short order we were there (Winds were very favorable flying to AGS). We shot the ILS to 35 at the "big" airport, KAGS, then inquired about an ASR after lunch. The controllers there are very nice and said no problem. We land at KDNL (Daniel Field) and go over to the FBO for a crew car. Ryan, my instructor, knew of a great place for lunch - the Village Deli. Our options are 25 gal at $5.60 or $20 just for the car alone. We were like "screw that" and decided to walk the quarter mile to the restaurant which is just on the other side of the airport boundary fence. The local guys said just walk along the fence and there is a gate by the Pizza Hut.

The Village Deli is an excellent fly-to restaurant... huge menu full of delicious sandwiches. Would even be a great place to grab a cold one if you didn't have to fly back to home base afterwards. Googling it found that lots of other people agree with my review. Check out the reviews here.

After lunch we launch and get the ASR to Runway 17 at KAGS right away. Those are fun! Then we finished off the day with an ILS 10 at HQU.

The beautiful part of it is that if I were to use my flight benefits on the big airline it would take at least 4 hours to get to Augusta. The RV did it in 30 min on about 4 gal of gas!

Village Deli is in the plaza behind my plane
SEW_20080430-130000.jpg

Quick shot of Village Deli
SEW_20080430-120351.jpg

Quick shot of the terminal/FBO
SEW_20080430-130041.jpg"

Me and the boy at Jekyll Island

Driving to Jekyll takes over three hours. Flying the RV takes just over an hour. To me, this is one of the greatest benefits to RV ownership. Time saved. :)

jekyllaprsjc1.png

The visibility was typical Georgia in summer. About 7 miles. With flight following and calm air we cruised at 140 kts, landed on the island and rented a golf cart. We did a little sightseeing and had lunch at the Rah Bar on the pier. Afterwards it was onto the beach to toss the football a little. There was some kind of music festival going on with some blues bands, a couple beer trucks and lots of police. :eek:

Two hours after landing we loaded back into Catalina for the ride home. The coolest thing to me is that, if we drove, we would be obligated to stay much longer in order to justify the long drive. When you fly, it is more of a "get in -get out" situation. No need to hang around longer than you want. We left home at 8:45 and were back by 3:00. :D

http://picasaweb.google.com/besacks/Jekyll2008

Barnstormers Grill.......

has moved to the other side of the field at Peach State (GA2). It is now located in the new museum building and is REALLY nice. The facilities are first class all the way and the food is as good as ever. The aircraft part of the museum is not finished yet but promises to be a major aviation destination in the southeast. Ron Alexander has a good thing going on there.

http://www.peachstateaero.com
(The website pictures show the old restaurant.)

Four planes from our EAA chapter 38 flew up there for lunch today. I found out that you can get training in a Stearman or a Cub up there. Oh...to get checked out in a Stearman. :rolleyes: There is also going to be a restoration section of the museum where visitors can watch in wonderful air conditioned comfort! The turf airstrip is fine, but I know some pilots who are not comfortable flying in there because of the undulations. I have flown there several times and using 13 is much nicer than 31. I think there are plans to fix that.

Last edited:
Pigs and Wings at Perry, GA (PXE)

If you can land here....

finaldp9.jpg

.....you can attend the first Pigs and Wings BBQ competition to be held at PXE on Dec. 5 and 6!
Competing teams are scheduled to arrive and check in on the 5th with judging happening on Saturday the 6th. Since this is the first event of its kind at the airport, details are somewhat hard to come by, but it is a sanctioned event by the Georgia BBQ Association. http://bbqga.com/Events.html
I spoke with the airport manager who added that since judging starts at 10:30 am on Sat. it would probably be a good idea to arrive by 10 in order to sample the different Q's and get your voting in for the people's choice awards.
Expect to pay for a ticket in order to sample and vote.
Perry is a fantastic place for such an event. In the past, the airport has hosted community cook-outs which always have a nice turn out and lots of flying. If the weather is good, this event should be a real winner.

Last edited:
Pancake breakfast at Douglas, Ga.....

....on Saturday March 7th, at 9:00 ayem. Tom Reilly has invited everyone to the museum where another B-17 is being restored, a sister ship to the flying Liberty Belle. He spent 14 years and $3.5 million on Liberty Belle and is also working on a P-40. Don Brook's DC-3 is also there. The museum is at the north end of the field. $5.00 each.

See ya there,

Last edited:
Flat Tire Upon Landing

Well, we made it to Douglas after waiting an hour for the fog to clear at the home base. My landing was not bad, maybe a 7 out of 10, immediately upon roll out at about 45 mph, the tire went flat and I managed to make the taxiway before shutting down. :( The crash/golf cart came out and we were able to get enough air into the tube to taxi to the hangar.
Bob Harliss, who gave me my checkride five years ago, found me a good innner tube and showed me where the tools are. After a quick breakfast, I set about changing the tube. About an hour later - job complete and time to head home. We did not have time to check out the warbird restoration hangar, but will definately be back.
In summation - This was a great place to have a flat with plenty of help and a large maintenence facility with a very helpful owner - Bob Harliss. I offered to pay for the tube and use of the tools but he would not accept payment. I will make a donation to the restoration projects next time I'm there.
Cleve Thompson lent me his jack point thingy to screw into my tie down bracket. Thanks Cleve! Need to get one of those.
I have decided to keep a tool bag in my plane from now on with an extra set of tubes and essential tools. If this had happened almost anywhere else, my experience would probably have been much more frustrating and expensive. Thanks go out to Dave, Cleve, and Bob. :)

Last edited:
Douglas GA Pancake Breakfast

As Bruce said, the WWII Air Training Museum at the Douglas Municipal airport is awesome and the restoration efforts to restore some WII fighters, bombers, transports, & trainers are impressive especially to those of us who have struggled in the airplane building process. It would certainly be a great trip over to seed it!
It was too bad that Bruce had such a time with the flat but the rest of us pigged out on marvelous pancakes and sausages.;)
Here is the URL of some pictures I took . I am sorry that my little maroon bird N417CT took such a prominent place in the album. http://picasaweb.google.com/cleve3/DouglasPancakeBreakfast3709#

Last edited:
USA: Atlanta PDK Update

The Downwind is indeed still functioning, still has the best hamburger in town, and the best jambalaya (only occasionally as a special, not on the regular menu) I have found anywhere.

Also more good news, the 57th Fighter Group has been taken over by Pat Epps, and is scheduled to reopen in September, no date set yet. If you are staying overnight, or are not the designated pilot, they have the finest outdoor lounge imaginable. If you're the designated pilot, the food always was excellent; I am planning to go on their opening night and will verify whether that is still the case. For updates go to the57threstaurant.com.

Oldsam,
This is indeed great news! Thanks for passing it along and please keep us updated. I have enjoyed many burgers at the Downwind and was very disappointed when the 57th closed. It will be great to have it back!

If you are transient and purchasing fuel, you should be able to park at either of the 3 FBO's long enough to eat, I can't believe they would charge you if you buy something. I can't speak with authority, because I am based there, and pay a monthly tiedown fee to Signature.

If, when the 57th FG opens, I would think you could lean on Mr. Epps to park at his FBO, Epps Aviation, while dining there, since he is the new owner. I would expect he is a good enough businessman to know where his interests lie, but again can't speak for certain.

Mr Epps place is not a cheap place to stop at. I had very large fuel bill last time I was there for 20 minutes.

The Downwind is indeed still functioning, still has the best hamburger in town, and the best jambalaya (only occasionally as a special, not on the regular menu) I have found anywhere.

Also more good news, the 57th Fighter Group has been taken over by Pat Epps, and is scheduled to reopen in September, no date set yet. If you are staying overnight, or are not the designated pilot, they have the finest outdoor lounge imaginable. If you're the designated pilot, the food always was excellent; I am planning to go on their opening night and will verify whether that is still the case. For updates go to the57threstaurant.com.

According to their Facebook site the 57th Fighter Group has re-opened. I can't wait to get back there!

57th Back up and running

Just an update on the 57th Fighter Squadron at Peachtree/Dekalb (PDK) north of Atlanta...

My wife and I really enjoyed an evening of listening to live music on the patio of the 57th this past Friday. We didn't fly in; we drove through Atlanta on our way to North Georgia for vacation. If you haven't been, the 57th has a nice multi-tiered patio just outside the fence at PDK. They had a small band (two guitarist, a bass player, and a guy on a congo drum) playing. I don't know if there is live entertainment all weekend or not. But, I am pretty sure every Friday there is. Also, there is an airshow coming up at PDK in early June and the band said they were going to be there for that (Saturday).

We didn't eat at 57th. However, the meals that passed us on their way to the diners looked very tasty.

If you haven't been to the 57th you may want to check it out next time you are near PDK. I always enjoy the atmosphere there. Here is a link to their website.

57th

We ate at the 57th Fighter group a couple of weeks ago. If they are not running a special, you can use a restaurant.com certificate. They have newly joined restaurant.com. We had a code for 80% off on restaurant.com. We got a $25 certificate for $2. The food was great and we had a table adjacent to the runway. It was cool to see a Gulfstream taxi by.
If you fly in, epps will transport you via van to the restaurant which they now own. They did not charge us a fee to park when we ate there.

Come on out and Enjoy

Just an update on the 57th Fighter Squadron at Peachtree/Dekalb (PDK) north of Atlanta...

Also, there is an airshow coming up at PDK in early June and the band said they were going to be there for that (Saturday).

Here is a link to their website.

Just a reminder to all you RVer's in the ATL area that TeamRV will be performing at PDK at the Good Neighbor Airshow on the weekend of the 5th and 6th of June. Should be a good show this year.

Widget, do you know if we can fly in to the event? I know we'd have to work around the TFR but I can't find if they will even allow fly-in traffic.

Sure you can

you just have to be there before the TFR goes active. Go to the FAA TFR website in a week or so and it should be preposted listing the times it is active. Usually the show starts about noon and the field will be closed until the shows over about 4.

Look us up and say hello.

p.s. Sid, can you really read all that stuff on your web site for http://n376sl.com :)

Last edited:
KRYY - McCullom airport in Cobb county has a restaurant called Elevation on the field that has great hamburgers. I was there in a corp. jet and parked right in front of the restaurant. Another, less expensive place, is Lumpkin Co. Wimpy field near Dahlonega, Ga (9A0). It's been a long time since I was there, but we had a great time. I lived in the ATL area at the time and had a Cessna 170B. Took my wife and two kids for a picnic flight. The kids picked the airport because it sounded neat (Wimpy's). We just taxied off the south end of the runway through the grass and had a picnic under a shade tree next to a creek that borders the runway. It was an enjoyable short trip and no one seemed to mind... well there was no one there to mind anyway... It's a nice area and if you can get a ride into town, Dahlonega is a very pretty and historic town with a great restaurant (don't remember the name of it).

Yeah, it's funny

Not sure what you mean. I gave up that domain years ago. Does something strange come up for it now?

it all come us in Chinese or Japanese or some other character set that defies description. It's still on your personal page so I just clicked on it to look at your web..:)

in Dahlonega it's Probably

KRYY - McCullom airport in Cobb county has a restaurant called Elevation on the field that has great hamburgers. I was there in a corp. jet and parked right in front of the restaurant. Another, less expensive place, is Lumpkin Co. Wimpy field near Dahlonega, Ga (9A0). It's been a long time since I was there, but we had a great time. I lived in the ATL area at the time and had a Cessna 170B. Took my wife and two kids for a picnic flight. The kids picked the airport because it sounded neat (Wimpy's). We just taxied off the south end of the runway through the grass and had a picnic under a shade tree next to a creek that borders the runway. It was an enjoyable short trip and no one seemed to mind... well there was no one there to mind anyway... It's a nice area and if you can get a ride into town, Dahlonega is a very pretty and historic town with a great restaurant (don't remember the name of it).

The Smith House. It's been here for years and is very well known. It's a family style place that serves massive quantites of food.

As for the camping, there is a little camp area just on the north end of the field.

If you ever drop in just holler and we'll talk RV's

it all come us in Chinese or Japanese or some other character set that defies description. It's still on your personal page so I just clicked on it to look at your web..:)

Yeah, I can't change it because of the spam bot question. CTAF for 52F is 122.90 but it doesn't like 9 or 0.

'Widget' - You must be a 'Deltoid'...... me too (retired). Lived in Cherokee county for 11 years, now in Cinci...

Atlanta Braves - airport suggestions?

Might be able to swing down to Atlanta to catch a game sometime. Anyone have any suggestions for an airport and transportation to see the Braves?

Thanks,

Might be able to swing down to Atlanta to catch a game sometime. Anyone have any suggestions for an airport and transportation to see the Braves?

Thanks,

I usually use PDK. But my son was a ball boy for the Braves for the last two summers so I had built in transportation.

Yep

'Widget' - You must be a 'Deltoid'...... me too (retired). Lived in Cherokee county for 11 years, now in Cinci...

What gave me away? :)

Retired in 04 and never looked back. Come see us in Dahlonega. Always have a spot in the hangar and a cold one at the TikiBar in the backyard..

FBO's PDK?

PDK sounds like the place. Any recommendations for an FBO there? Probably won't need gas, but could buy some if it would help.

What about transponder checks? Anyone there do those?

Thanks,

BBQ at Perry GA - PXE

This coming Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011 is the second Pigs and Wings at PXE. Come out and sample some "Q". Sampling and voting started around 1 or 2pm last time IIRC.

http://www.bbqga.com/

Last edited:
Lunch available?

Is there going to be lunch available at this event? I'm trying to talk my wife into going, but the earliest we could get there would be 1pm. There's no schedule or agenda at the website, so I'm not sure what's going to be going on by then... more details please!

Aaron;

I was there last year and they were having a barbeque cook off competition which lasted pretty much all day or at least intill mid afternoon when I left.
food was great and cheap.

John Morgan

Yeah, sorry about the lack of details but I don't know much except for what it was like last time.
In brief: there were about 10 different teams cooking, at about 1 or 2pm the public was invited to sample from each team and vote on their favorite through balloting. There wasn't a huge public turnout and everyone ate well :p Our EAA chapter sold drinks and boiled peanuts.
Keep in mind that you are sampling BBQ. There were no side dishes, deserts, etc. but the samples were generous and we were very full by the time we left. I don't think the event gets widely publicized beyond the local BBQ aficionados and the pilot community. As it should be.
The weather will be excellent. I may be flying a dog to Valdosta but should be back to Perry by 1pm. Come out and say hi!

PS: The dog run just fell through so I will go to the airport in the AM and try to get some good info on the food. Will post here ASAP.

Last edited:
Save me some, Bruce...

...I'll be there in my -10 by 11:00 a.m. or so.

If anyone is interested in a -10, you can be all over mine and we'll go fly her.

Best,

Back