What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Texas

Gordonville: Cedar Mills Marina

Identifier: 3T0 (centered in this sat image)

Always a favorite with the N. Texas bunch. Resturant is a 10 minute walk from the East/West grass runway. Usually land to the west and take off to the east (runway slopes to east).

Last edited:
Stephenville: Hard Eight BBQ

A DFW bunch favorite!

Airnav info: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSEP

Plenty of runway. Walk west out of airport about 1/4 mile. You'll see it. Frequent stop for several of us in the N.TX area. If going on a Sunday make sure to get there before church lets out.

There is a breakfast place about 300' north of the BBQ place.

Hard Eight centered in this sat image.

Last edited:
Roanoke: Blue Hangar Cafe

My home field (52F). Cafe centered in this satellite image.

Gene and his wife Christy run a nice breakfast/lunch place. Great folks. Gas out front.

Last edited:
Graham: Clayton's BBQ and Dairy Queen

My home field (KRPH)

Both Clayton's BBQ and Dairy Queen are within walking distance of the field.

Airnav info here: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KRPH

Hilltop Lakes: Hilltop Lakes Resort

Restaurant about a five minute walk east of the field.

Identifier: 0TE4

Watch for stickers and arriving just after the church next door to the place lets out. Texas shaped pool <g>.

resort.jpg

Brenham: Airport Diner

The airport diner in Brenham, TX is styled in the 50's, with waitresses in poodle skirts, home-made food, and real Blue Bell ice cream, direct from the little creamery in the heart of Texas.

San Angelo: Chinese Food onfield

San Angelo, SJT - some really good Chinese food onfield in the commercial terminal (non-secure side), fast and cheap. Excellent service and cheap self-serve 100LL at Skyline Aviation, midfield west side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas Air Museums

Silent Wings - Lubbock Int (LBB) - At the old terminal building on the west side.

CAF HQ - Midland/Odessa (MAF)

Lonestar Flight Museum - Galveston Scholes (GLS)

Cavanaugh Flight Museum - Addision - (ADS)

Vintage Flying Musuem - Fort Worth Meacham (FTW)

A small CAF musuem at Burnett (BMQ)

Frontiers of Flight - Dallas Love (DAL)

Small Museum in Slaton outside of Lubbock (F49)

Kerrville: Cowboy Steakhouse

...posted somewhere else....I moved it here....dr

The best steakhouse in the Hill country of Texas is in Kerrville, Texas. It's called the Cowboy Steakhouse. Take a tour of the Mooney factory if it doesn't offend anyone :), and then enjoy the best steak ever,cooked over mesquite and oak wood. The steak and menu selection is very good, the wine list is HUGE (over 600), the service is Texas friendly, and the decour is artwork in itself.

It is a dinner only establishment but reservations are not required. Ten minute drive smack to the middle of town on Main St if you are coming from the Mooney factory.

Cowboy Steakhouse
416 Main
Kerrville, Tx 78028

830-896-5688

Last edited:
Cooper's BBQ in Llano, TX

Llano, TX (KAQO) is home to Cooper's BBQ - darn good food if I may say so! It's @ 81 nm NNW of San Antonio and @ 150 nm SW of Dallas.
theline1ci8.jpg

On my way up from Zuehl to Llano I took these pictures of a castle-home the locals say is based on crazy King Ludwigs design .......what people do with their money - they could have bought a nice RV instead!
castlereducedqy9.jpg

It's just SE of Lake Buchanan, @ 5 miles........
castle2cr9.jpg

Last edited:
Gillespie County Airport KT82 strip is 5002 ft by 75ft.
The Hangar Hotel and Airport Diner in Fredricksburg are a neat trip. The Hotel seems pretty nice and the diner is good and clean. Both are on the ramp of the airport. You can eat lunch and watch other planes come and go. They have a website, www.hangarhotel.com that has photos and hours of operation.

New Braunfels - Freiheit Country Store

One of our favorite stops when we're goofing off on a weekend is New Braunfels (KBAZ). They have a couple of courtesy cars available and we take them to an AWESOME local joint called Freiheit Country Store. It's located about 2 miles from the airport.

Here it is on the map. KBAZ is located in the lower right corner and the marker is on Freiheit Country Store.

They have two terminals on the field. You want to go to the new City Terminal.

NOTICE: They just opened a tower for KBAZ and the frequencies are currently unpublished in the current AFD/Sectional. (As of 5/15/2007). The next release of the AFD/Sectional will show the frequencies.

PS: The courtosy cars are retired cop cars, so they can be a whole lot of fun to drive. We ended up getting lost, so I had to hook a u-turn. To have a little fun, I waited until I met someone coming from the opposite direction and then I made a very aggresive U-Turn directly behind them. :) :) INSTANT BRAKE LIGHTS!

Enjoy,
Phil

Last edited:
More far afield LOE day trips in Texas

There are other magnificent site within a couple hours drive of LOE. A good overview of the options is covered in the PDF publication at:
http://www.thc.state.tx.us/publications/brochures/Mountain Trail.pdf

Among the choices are Hueco Tanks SP (world-class rock climbing and outstanding pictographs), the Davis Mountains (and the observatory), and the arts community at Marfa (you can fly into Marfa). A gentle walk up McKittrick Canyon in Guadalupe Mountain National Park (www.nps.gov/gumo) is spectacular, especially if the leaves have started turning (probably a week or two early) and the park's Permian Train is an absolute "must do" for any serious geologist or amateur paleontologist! (However, it is a seriously steep hike that would require the entire day from LOE.)

Guadalupe Mountains National Park

It is an easy 2.2 hr RV flight to Carlsbad, NM (KCNM), pick up a rental car and drive approx. 50 mi SW to the Visitors Center. Pick up some info on the hiking areas and see some spectacular scenery. The energetic types need to take the 3,000' uphill trek to the top of Texas. I recommend the McKittrick Canyon trail to the Pratt Cabin (not Jay's) and on up to the Grotto. The trail starts out following a dry gulley and ends up along a spring-fed stream under large Cottonwood and Maple trees. Allow about 3 hours for the round trip. Take the usual desert precautions such as sturdy shoes, sun protection and water.

Griff's good, but Zeb's better

Hey Doug, Next time your at ACT and hungry, check out Zeb's Backyard grill on China Spring hwy. about 1/4 mile before Griff's on the right. Really better burgers. Mike Anderson

Sweetwater (KSWW) Allen Family Style Meals

If you are in the Sweetwater area, try Allen's Family Style Meals. No menu, just sit down and they bring you Fried Chicken, Ham, roast, all the vegies you can imagine, and cobbler for dessert.

In addition, the WASP Museum is located at Avenger Field (KSWW). It was the training base for the WASP in WWII. Well worth the stop.

They do have an airport van to get you there and back.

Dallas area for the April Race

Hello I will be in the Mesquite Tx area for the races on April 4,5,6. I will drive down with the inlaws and only go to the races on Sunday. I would like to do some RV type of thing on Saturday the April 5th. Last year I attended a local EAA meeting and got to enjoy Paul Dye's presentation on Space Shuttles. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
Flying RV-6

Commemorative Airforce Museum

It had been a while since I had been to the CAF Museum in Midland, Texas (MAF) and the exhibits change quite often, so I checked it out today.

I always enjoy this museum, but like some other things it does appear to be in a bit of a recession. The number of aircraft on display in the hangar was down quite a bit and the B-29 is not airworthy but I read that a big donation has happened that may put her in the air again. Despite all that there were things to amaze and delight.

The first surprise that the Late Leeon Davis' DA-11 was on display.

IMG_0642.jpg

There was absolutely no interpretation of this unique and amazing airplane but there it sat, with no ropes, and I got to see it in the flesh for the first time. I knew that Leeon strived for lightness and that made me expect that workmanship would not be a high priority. That is wrong, wrong, wrong. This airplane is beautifully built. Gross weight is 375 pounds and cruise speed around 125 mph. How about this for an alternative engine controversy? Leeon bypassed the auto engines and went straight for the lawn mower engine.

IMG_0636.jpg

There is a big dispute. I had previously read that the Briggs and Stratton is 18 HP, but on the data plate it said 20 HP. Did Leeon do a dyno test?

IMG_0638.jpg

I don't know how many screws hold my RV-6 tanks on but it is a bunch. Each similar tank on the DA-11 has 5 visible top screws attaching it to the wing.

IMG_0633.jpg

Another highlight was the Polikarpov I-16 Soviet 30s era aircraft that is said to be the first airplane in the world with enclosed cockpit, mono-wing, retractable gear and controllable pitch prop.

IMG_0632.jpg

To add an RV slant, there in the ramp side of the display hangar was Mark Frederick's F-1 Rocket.

IMG_0646.jpg

WWII fighters, bombers, gliders and observation craft and RV derivatives. Looks like CAF is expanding.

Oh, there was even some sexist nose art.

IMG_0644.jpg

But the aircraft owner is a woman!

Last edited:
Galveston

My wife and I went to Galveston today. After we landed one of the folks at the FBO came out in a golf cart and offered us bottled water and a snack. We were then given a ride to the Moody Gardens Hotel in a nice SUV even though it is only a short walk away and we did not buy any fuel.

I have never been treated so nicely by an FBO.

The food at the hotel was great. Overall it was an excellent way to spend a few hours on a Saturday. Next time I will buy gas. I promise.

Luis Luciani
RV8, Yankin' and bankin' but straight and level when with the wife

I did a sight seeing trip down around galveston around 20:00 last friday weather wasn't bad thank god especially after the **** me and my 3 friends went through at Brazoria county and the Winsock Grill. Little background, 3 times in a row now I have rented the ole spam can for me and some buds to go eat and three times they were either closed during supposed normal business hours(card has hours as does a quick call to confirm the hours). The last straw was Friday, I had called early in the week and confirmed the hours and made reservations for 3 friends and myself at 7:30. Friday comes along and I called around 10:00 to make double sure everything was in line. 19:15 we arrive at LBX and the owner opens the door for us and says sorry guys we are closed i'm just here to let everyone know. After asking why, he said the health inspector had come in and found some issues that were "beyond there control" and although they were fixed within the hour the county wouldn't send the inspector back out until sat. Freakin ridiculous. just a heads up guys. On a side note though he did give us all some drinks and let us sit in the A/C for a bit.

Brenham, "Southern Flyer Diner"

I visited the diner at Brenham today for the first time.

It doesn't have a memorable name. The theme is 50s and the location is Texas, but none of this is reflected in the blah name that few probably know, even though they know the place.

I got a simple lunch so can't comment on very much of the fare, but I did have a couple of impressions. The malts are highly touted and I was looking forward to a real malt, which is hard to find these days. Mine was OK, but had little malt flavor. I found out that you can order "extra malt" at an extra cost. I will do that next time.

The big surprise was the french fries, one of the few things on the menu that is not listed as "made from scratch." They were, far and away, the best fries I have ever had. They are very light with a brown crispy outside. Really wonderful.

Next time I will have to try the chile.

"OK" Malt??????

Larry--Larry---Larry,

Visiting the "mecca" of creamery cities (Brenham, Tx--home of Blue Bell ice cream) and then saying a malt from the Southern Flyer restaurant in Brenham is "OK" is like--is like--going to a Mexican food festival in Hatch, New Mexico, and saying the green chile enchiladas are not authentic, or going to Hershey, Penn. and saying the milk chocolate was a little "off".

But seriously, good to see you again---and what a pleasant surprise for Louise. I think you made her day!

All the Best.

Cheers,

db

Dell City, TX

Spanish Angels Cafe 103 Main Street, Dell City, TX 79837. Just a short walk from the airport.

Pete
**** Paso, TX
RV-12 wannabe
Kitfox III owner

Lancaster, Texas (KLNC) - January 2011

The Runway restaurant at Lancaster, Texas (KLNC) reopened a few months ago. If you haven't been to LNC in a while, it might make a nice change of Saturday eatery. Hours are 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. seven days a week. Home to Aircraft Salvage and an aircraft museum -- it might make a good meeting spot. You might even see a former Russian military helicopter spooling up on the ramp like the one shown in the link below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pratt.c...52AM?pli=1&gsessionid=j-nkKBYPWJp3MMBulllE6Q#

Chris

Last edited:
Tyler, TX (KTYR) -- Skyline Cafe

Surprised this has not been mentioned before but there is a nice restaurant in the old terminal building right at the base of the control tower at Tyler, Texas (Pounds). Plus there's an aviation museum in the same building as well as an outdoor display of Korean and Vietnam war era jets.

I stopped by today for the first time and, of course, forgot my camera. So I'm sorry there are no photos to accompany this.

Food was good and very friendly folks there. The restaurant is the Skyline Cafe (903) 593-7455 open M-F 7:30 a.m. -- 2:00 p.m., Sat 8:00 a.m. -- 2:00 p.m. and Sunday 11:00 a.m. -- 2:00 p.m. Breakfast and lunch menu. Tyler is subject to TSA security due to a few airline flights per day, so you have to call the restaurant (see number above) when you land and ask them to let you through the gate. No big deal -- they saw me taxi in and were there to greet me without having to make the call.

The museum ($5 admission) shows the history of flight with particular emphasis on local people who served with distinction. The outdoor display has static examples of an F-104 Starfighter, FJ-4 Fury, Douglas Skyraider, F-4 Phantom, F-100 Super Sabre, F-105 Thunderstreak, F-111 Aardvark, A-4 Skyhawk, T-3 Buckeye, T-37 trainer (painted just like Doug's RV-6 :)), Lockheed Jetstar.

The airline flights use a new terminal on the east side of the airport so there's no mixing of traffic. The old terminal is in the center of the field.

Tyler is about 100 nm ESE from NW Regional (52F) my home base, so an easy flight from the DFW area.

NOTE: The Wings of Freedom Tour featuring a B-24 Liberator, B-17 Flying Fortress and P-51C Mustang will be at Tyler airport March 11-14, 2011. Rides and tours are available. www.cfdn.org for info.

Has anyone flown down to Brazoria lately to eat at the Windsock grill? Haven't eatin there in a while and they are notorious for weird hours. How has the food been lately?

Has anyone flown down to Brazoria lately to eat at the Windsock grill? Haven't eatin there in a while and they are notorious for weird hours. How has the food been lately?
Well, since I live 10 minutes away and have the CT there, I'll go for lunch soon and report back :)

Bristow Helicopters has expanded its operations there and moved into the airport offices (they're in trailers now) so I expect that the Windsock gets more routine customers during the week.

TODR

Went about a month ago. Food was good. Fuel price wasn't. They are closed sundays. I think their also closed on mondays but I havent been lucky enough to have the time to fly around on mondays. That work thing is always getting in the way.:)

I hear ya on the work issue!!

I've tried three seperate times to eat there after my initial lunch run and all three times they were closed. Once I even called and made reservations and called before I left SGR and they were closed when I got there. The food was good that first time and I keep promising the wife I'll take her for shrimp poboys there(they are good) but they are always closed!!

windsock grill--LBX

The grill is closed and should be opening under new managment in a few weeks.
G.P.

LBX Aka... Texas Gulf Coast Regional Airport

Which means on the radio its often "Texas Gulf Coast Regional Airport Brazoria County"... :p

Cross Wind Cafe

LBX
Brazoria County
Texas Gulf Coast Regional
The grill has reopened and is open Sundays 1100 to 1400.

Crosswind Cafe Angleton TX-Airport Cafe - OPEN

Got a little more info for pilots wanting to fly down and get some good food.

Manager: Taylor Stanley

Ph: 979-849-5995

Hours:

Monday-Friday 11-2 and 5-9
Saturday 11-9
Sunday 11-3

South East Texas Fly-In/Cook-Out

KJAS hosts a Fly-In/Cook-Out every 3rd Saturday of the month and we would like to extend an invite to the VAF community if anyone is interested. Our new Full Service FBO, "Bravo Aviation" offers a fuel discount for all of those in attendance as well.

We have a great local group as well as plenty of attendees from other airports in the vicinity. We frequently play horse shoes, washers, etc for those with a competitive spirit. It typically kicks off around 10am-11am till everybody has had enough. Give us a call @ (409)381-8151 if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you there.

Summer Cool-off?Galveston Schlitterbahn!

Last year, Louise and I took our niece and nephew?s family down to the Galveston Schlitterbahn Water Park for the day ? and were surprised at just how much we liked it. The water is clean and refreshing, there are slides if you like excitement, and the river has lazy regions, a rapids (you ride a conveyor belt up about 15 feet, then take the long and wet way down), and even an area with tidal waves ? quite fun! Best of all, when it is 97/97 (Heat/humidity), it is a very short walk from the ramp at Galveston Scholes field (KGLS) ? in fact, it is about the same distance as the ?common folk? have to walk from the auto parking lots.

OK, so it costs $50/day, and the demographics of the RV world means that most of us are ?old farts? by comparison to the kids and young families that populate the park. But we learned a little secret ? the cost of keeping a home pool is exorbitant (not to mention the time involved). A Season pass costs a little over $100, and it takes us ten minutes to fly down from our airpark. And with a season pass, you don?t feel guilty about not staying all day ? in fact, we like to pop down there Sunday morning before the crowds get there about noon ? two hours of cool peace, then hop in the plane and be home quicker than the rest of them can get to 61st street on their way out!

So we are now confirmed season ticket holders ? the RV makes it quick and painless to get down and back, and we don?t really care how much time we spend on a particular day ? we?ve already visited enough times to more than pay for the passes. It is quite reachable in short order from any of the Houston area airports ? and heck, if you fly in from an hour away, it is still far easier to get to the front gate than if you fly to New Braunfels (their ?mother ship? park). You can bring your own food and drinks (no alcohol, but you?re flying anyway?), which saves a ton of money.

We?re thinking of organizing an RV fly-in day if anyone is interested ? heck, we might even be persuaded to stay past noon! ;)

Paul

Christmas in N. Texas

Lake Texoma and Dallas area lakes are showing a lot more beachfront property these days. The draught continues. Cedar Mills - 3T0 - is off my wingtip. The marina restaurant was closed today, so check the schedule before landing and making a fruitless hike. Fortunately, an aircraft about to depart gave me the heads up and saved me some exercise.

We might get some rain Christmas day.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Happy holidays!

Chris

Grand Prairie Municipal Airport (KGPM) "mixed up burgers"

Grand Prairie Municipal Airport now has place called "mixed up burgers" in terminal building if in area. Open 7 days at week, see web site for hours, mixedupburgers.com. Short taxi ride away at Great Southwest Parkway and I-20 is Texas Roadhouse and new outlet mall.

Abilene TX Fly-Ins

Just to let everyone know, there are two fly-ins going on in Abilene, TX in the next few weeks. The first is a bi-plane fly-in at Elmdale Airpark (82TS) on the 27th of April from 9-2. Anyone who flys in will get a meal and discounted gas, and any and all airplanes and people are welcome. The second is an EAA fly in breakfast the next weekend 4 May at Abilene Regional Airport. For details about the EAA fly-in please go to www.eaa471.org.

Thanks and hope to see you out there!

Rex

Abilene TX Fly-Ins

Just to let everyone know, there are two fly-ins going on in Abilene, TX in the next few weeks. The first is a bi-plane fly-in at Elmdale Airpark (82TS) on the 27th of April from 9-2. Anyone who flys in will get a meal and discounted gas, and any and all airplanes and people are welcome. The second is an EAA fly in breakfast the next weekend 4 May at Abilene Regional Airport. For details about the EAA fly-in please go to www.eaa471.org.

Thanks and hope to see you out there!

Rex

Back