What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fresh Battery?

daddyman

Well Known Member
I have a Concorde RG35A located in my rear baggage compartment.

It is time for a fresh one.

Any thoughts on using a different brand (Gill) or something else.

My RV-4 is aerobatic, so I thought it would have to be a sealed gas controlled vented model.

Thanks for your opinions.

Daddyman

batteries plus has a replacement RG for a whole lot less then a pink one.
I got 8 years out of my last one.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

PC680 has been good for me, though I just had to replace the original after 3 years due to my abuse.
Great for an aerobat since there is no free liquid (same as the Concorde rg35a?) A possible concern for you might be the CG change. I see your Concorde weighs 30 lbs v. about 17lbs for the Odyssey. But the PC680 only has 1/2 the capacity. Do you need 35ah?

Assuming that your RV4 has a 320 of some flavor not sure why you need a 35AH battery instead of the standard 25AH the Vans battery box is designed for. You might at least consider downsizing to the RG25 if not going to the PC680. If for some reason you need a 35AH battery, the 680 wouldn't be good.

Yes, my RG-35a does weigh 35#. I thought a lighter batter would be better, but it would move the CG forward.
I have not yet done the calculation, but will now.
Do I need 35aH?
Maybe?

good to know that Batteries plus sells a less expensive version.
Thanks for the tip.

Daddyman
Dues Paid 2015

Batteries ++

I have the Batteries Plus version in my -4. Specs are identical (size,terminal location,amps)to the certificated $$ version. I have almost 5 years on mine and its never weak or given any problems. I think it was about $65.00. I will get another one when this one is done. from all I could gather talking with some battery gurus, most all the components for all batteries come from the same place (only speaking lead/acid). The cross reference for mine when I bought it was for motorized wheel chair applications. It is sealed and zero maintenance.

Pc.680

Hi

I replaced my concord with a PC 680 it saved 10lbs of wielght.

The batteries are forward of the c of g solo putting a, lighter one in moves the c of g back. I compensated for this by moving the battery fully forward in the battery bay.

THis then freed up all the area where the Concorde was for baggage.

A 680 works fine.

Sorry I don't have a solution, I'm just amazed that someone got a big battery in the back of a -4 with (I assume) no aft CG issues. O-360/constant speed prop maybe? What's your empty weight?

The PC680 is a strong little battery. Bear in mind, if you run it dead sometime... the warranty is invalid. My one year old refused to take a charge after running it down. They declined any coverage at all.

The PC680 is a strong little battery. Bear in mind, if you run it dead sometime... the warranty is invalid. My one year old refused to take a charge after running it down. They declined any coverage at all.

If it is totally flat you must recharge it with a "dumb" charger. The smart chargers (Battery Tender, etc) have to see some voltage before they will kick in. The dead battery won't allow the smart charger to energize, but the dumb charger will bring the PC680 back to life.

I left the master on for ten days and ran my PC680 totally down. A little dumb 2amp wall-wart charger brought it back overnight. That was five years ago and the battery was still cranking the O-320 when I replaced it this year. Amazing batteries!

Ditto Nauga!!

Sorry I don't have a solution, I'm just amazed that someone got a big battery in the back of a -4 with (I assume) no aft CG issues. O-360/constant speed prop maybe? What's your empty weight?

My thoughts exactly. Wow!
Cheers,

If it is totally flat you must recharge it with a "dumb" charger. The smart chargers (Battery Tender, etc) have to see some voltage before they will kick in. The dead battery won't allow the smart charger to energize, but the dumb charger will bring the PC680 back to life.

I left the master on for ten days and ran my PC680 totally down. A little dumb 2amp wall-wart charger brought it back overnight. That was five years ago and the battery was still cranking the O-320 when I replaced it this year. Amazing batteries!

Good story and stuff to know Sam. Impressive indeed. :)

Best & cheers,

Good question on the weight.
I have a CS IO-320, so a bit heavy up front which may have required a bit of ballast (battery) in rear.
Total weight WAS 1015# it was within the CG.
Since it was weighed, I have reduced weight by 15#, so I'm right at 1,000#, but will re-weigh soon.
Daddyman

You certainly have some great advice here. If for some crazy reason you do decide to consider Gill, reconsider. In 12 years of owning a certified plane my #1 problem was keeping the Gill battery charged. I continued to follow charging instructions per their recommendations and never got more than 2 years of life out of any of the Gill batteries. Either pay the extra and stay with Concorde or save a few pounds, $$ and get a PC680. Although some have had issues with these batteries, I believe most speak highly of them. I have 2 in my -7 and (knock on wood) have not had any issues yet.

nearest exchange size & weight

When I replaced my RG-25, I used the PC-925.
It's very close in size & weight, and really cranks when it's cold out, so it works for me. I was able to install on it's side, and use the same clamps etc. that held my Concorde in.
( pirep: the Concorde was still working pretty darn well after 8 years, even in winter, flying once every month or two...but I just didn't want it to fail somewhere away from home)

Perry,
Yes, I'm with you.
I could hear it straining to turn over my starter (yes, it is new -only 4 mtgs old), even with a trickle charger and light bulb heater.
I have "abused" it by completely draining it x2, and 4 years old, along with an occasional sparky short.
I consider the service it gave well within the green for good range.
Just do not want to be flying somewhere and not be able to re-start.
Since I have a constant sleep prop, a hand prop is not an option.

Daddyman
2015 dues-Affirmative

Back