What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice! RV-4 wing root fairing replacement

STAP

Hi everyone!

My -4 is in for annual and a major avionics refit. During the tear-down, I've grown tired of the "low drag" fairings my machine came with (I bought, not build). They are heavy, easy to damage and are basically a pain.

They are similar to the James Aircraft wing root fairings but not as nice:

I'm considering going back to the basic RV-4 wing root. Does anyone else have sage advice? Maybe someone has gone through this already? Thanks everyone.

Pictures needed

The "per plans/kit " fairings are what I installed, and work well, although the fiberglass parts need a little re-work to keep from pillowing between screws. The problem you may encounter, is the attach screw holes/nutplates you already have will likely be far from re-usable, so they will need filled or re-located. A preferred option I would consider doing it over, is to use the flat fairing/rubber seal that is simple and effective.

Since I'm not the builder - I had heard that the per-plans fairings were basically "make it happen" parts. Your comment about the riv-nuts is right-on. I suspect they will be totally unusable.

Where can I find information on the flat fairing rubber seal? Is it a Van's part?

Flat fairing

For my -4, I made a flat fairing with a rubber gasket I selected from the Aircraft Spruce catalog.

It was fairly easy to make and has lasted well (13 years so far). I have been told, though I have no specific knowledge on this, that a good fillet fairing reduces the stall speed relative to the flat fairing. Perhaps, someone who has tried both can weigh in.

Good luck,

Thanks Dean,

Would you happen to have a picture, or can you take one and post it? I've seen other RVs with the fairing you describe and would like to compare.

I suspect my custom fairings are draggy. Plus they are a pain in the *ss.

Thanks!

BTW, some of the fastest RV's out there have used simple flat wrap fairings. They are easy to make and easy to install. And you don't have a big, floppy piece of fiberglass to contend with... or sand.

Thanks Dean,

Would you happen to have a picture, or can you take one and post it? I've seen other RVs with the fairing you describe and would like to compare.

I suspect my custom fairings are draggy. Plus they are a pain in the *ss.

Thanks!

Hi,

Next time I'm at the hanger, I will take a picture or two and post. The fairings, though, look remarkably like Derek's as shown in his earlier post.

Good luck,

There is an entire section of photos and text regarding how to make the flat wrap fairings on thins page: http://vincesrocket.com/finishing.htm
Thanks Vince. Unfortunately the underside of the -4 (at least *my* -4) looks to be a fair bit different from the Rocket due to the exhaust 'tunnel' - the fairing doesn't butt up against a flat surface on the underside. I'd like to see these the bottom of a -4 with the strip fairings if anyone's got one. I'm reworking the glass fairings on mine right now but I've considered ditching them several times.

Nauga,

I had flat wrapped fairings on my RV-4 also. Don't have any photos of them though.

I used cardboard to create a template so the wraps would butt up against the fuselage. I don't recall anything difficult about it. Maybe your 4 is different?

Here is my unfinished underside

Need to trim a bit more around the drain and add a grommet to the vent line.

You could do this

2vimupx.jpg

Yep!

Those are the aft sections from Team Rocket; fwd section unknown (could be stock RV parts?). I know the guy who runs the place, and the woman behind him.

$324 for the aft sections, plus shipping.

Carry on!
Mark

It's just hardware store grade.

Hi,

Ive made these for my other aircraft, elected not to use T4 or T6, as the hardware store aluminium was easier to bend.

Finished fairings

All,

First, thanks for the detailed advice. This little repair was straightforward and is MUCH better than before. A few lessons learned:

Buy the Aluminum from Spruce. Their standard sheets are enough for a couple of "redo-s" and were cheaper than local suppliers.

The rubber gasket suggested in this thread was great, cheap and easy. Recommended.

Use the cardboard box that the Aluminum comes in to make your template. A "thin" roll of blue painters tape and a sharpie works great for tracing the contours of your empennage after your get the first cut done.

I used air shears. I can't imagine using anything else to cut the metal.

IMG_4507.jpg

IMG_4508.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

Last edited:
Which is faster?

Is there any measurable speed difference going from stock wing root fairings to flat wrap fairings?

Thanks,

Robin

Back