VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-14-2018, 10:17 AM

Default 6A Brake Lines

Greased my wheel bearings yesterday with my mechanics assistance. While looking at the brake lines where they circle around the lower gear leg then attach to the caliper, he suggested we might want to cut and flare the metal lines and replace with a length of flexible brake hose for ease of maintenance in the future. Has anyone done this? Is there any reason not to other than crating a place for potential leaks? Do the calipers need a hard line the full length? Thanks in advance for the input.

Mike
Old 01-14-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWH265 View Post
Greased my wheel bearings yesterday with my mechanics assistance. While looking at the brake lines where they circle around the lower gear leg then attach to the caliper, he suggested we might want to cut and flare the metal lines and replace with a length of flexible brake hose for ease of maintenance in the future. Has anyone done this? Is there any reason not to other than crating a place for potential leaks? Do the calipers need a hard line the full length? Thanks in advance for the input.

Mike
I don't understand what problem the mechanic is trying to fix. What maintenance issues are the hard aluminum lines going to cause? All you have to do to disconnect the line is to loosen a nut. Same as with a flexible line.

To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with terminating the hard lines early and replacing with a high pressure flex line. Just money, time, and another potential leak. This is a fairly common modification.

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 01-14-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up

Don't cut and add a flexible section.

Simply replace the entire line down the leg into the brake caliper with a flexible Teflon hose line. in most cases with a -6A this will not add any extra connections in the overall brake system.

You also have the option of using smaller -3 hose instead of -4 hose. The -3 hose also has the option of being fabricated with -4 end fittings.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 01-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Kyle & Az,

I think he is preparing for brake pads. I guess you wouldn't have to remove the calipers to change the inner pad if there is a flexible line there. Just a thought he had. We were always changing things that were allowed on my Skyhawk to ease maintenance. Now with the RV we can do much more. I don't thing I would spend the money to make all the lines flex unless there was a need to replace the whole line. Again, just a thought.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-14-2018, 04:13 PM

I replaced mine from the fuselage down to caliper. Reason is that I couldn't replace brake pads without disconnecting the hard line. With the flex line, I can remove the caliper from the wheel to replace pads without disconnecting the line. This removes the need to bleed the brakes again. I hate bleeding the brakes.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:44 PM

Just received my new Teflon / SS brake lines from Tom Swearengen at TSFlightlines. There extremely high quality and run from the fuselage to the calipers eliminating the aluminum tube altogether. I know a lot have gotten by for years with no problems using the aluminum tube but they just seem marginal and bare bones for such a important line. There’s a lot of movement and vibration in the gear. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 PM

Default Brake lines

I started with -3 braided Teflon lines all the way down . They were made up buy the local race car shop to my specs with crimped on fittings. Race cars use aircraft fittings almost everywhere.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 PM

I've never disconnected the hard line to replace pads. Do you have a service loop down near the caliper like called for in the plans? That gives you the ability to pull the caliper loose to change the pads without disconnecting any hydraulics.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I've never disconnected the hard line to replace pads. Do you have a service loop down near the caliper like called for in the plans? That gives you the ability to pull the caliper loose to change the pads without disconnecting any hydraulics.
I do have the service loop, however didn't feel comfortable with the amount of flexing required of the hard lines to remove the caliper. Maybe I'm overly cautious...

Chris
Old 01-14-2018, 05:43 PM

Probably. My '91 -4 (1000+ hrs) has the looped hard lines that were installed when it was built. If the installation is done correctly, there's very little likelihood of issues fore the life of the plane. If you use non-teflon hose, you'll be faced with time-limits on the hose.