VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-11-2018, 01:37 AM

Wrap some gorilla tape around your fingers glue outwards, put it on the canopy adhesive and wait a second or two then quickly pull it off.

No solvents and no scratches from rubbing - worked superbly for me

Bit like hair waxing ......
Old 02-11-2018, 02:32 AM

I’m not about to try it without checking with the manufacturer first, but I wonder if eucalyptus oil would affect acrylic; nothing better at removing gum glues.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:22 AM

I drove up to Dayton, Ohio area to pick up a new canopy for my RV8 after cracking the original one during construction. The guys at Airplane Plastics (manufacturers of our Vans canopies) cleaned glue residue off my new canopy with isopropyl rubbing alcohol - like you get at Walgreens. They said they use that stuff by the case. I've used it and it works fine. Washing with water and mild detergent (like dawn) after the alcohol is a good idea.
RV-14 Wings - sold 2014
RV4 - Sold
Cessna 182RG - flying
New RV8 - Finished and flying 4/26/18
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
Old 02-24-2018, 09:58 AM

Just an FYI during my vinyl wrap iused isopropyl alcohol to clean the very edge of the canopy the the vinyl could over lap the edge onto the acrylic a tiny bit. It did not harm the acrylic a all.

Saw an A&P Destroy a Cessna window with brake clean one day on another field though so wouldn’t recommend trying that one.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
I drove up to Dayton, Ohio area to pick up a new canopy for my RV8 after cracking the original one during construction. The guys at Airplane Plastics (manufacturers of our Vans canopies) cleaned glue residue off my new canopy with isopropyl rubbing alcohol - like you get at Walgreens. They said they use that stuff by the case. I've used it and it works fine. Washing with water and mild detergent (like dawn) after the alcohol is a good idea.
As other have said, "mineral spirits" and "naptha" are sort of generic names and you don't exactly know what's in the bottle.

At least a bottle of isopropyl rubbing alcohol from the drug store/supermarket is clearly marked to be only one ingredient and water.

It was my favorite for removing many years of masking tape a plastic protector off my -6A canopy during construction.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 02-24-2018, 10:27 AM

Default Wrong cleaner

On another note, I grabbed the aerosol can of plexi cleaner to clean the canopy prior to a flight recently. Sprayed over a large area and started to wipe it off. It just left oily streaks, and would not come off! Looked closer at the can, and it was actually “stainless steel polish” for the tool box😳😱😤. I grabbed the can out of habit, but someone must have moved them. Grabbed ALL the clean towels I could find and got it off, with a lot of swearing. No apparent damage a few months later, but all the aircraft cleaning products are in a totally different area from the rest of the shop chemicals. Got lucky this time!!

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!