- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit49 View Post
Building the harnesses is half the fun.
Just get the tools off eBay (DMC Daniels). They aren't too bad if you do some searching.
Or go for the Steinair tools.

There are guys out there that will draw your installation up for you.
Then you just follow the drawings as you go.

Let me know if you need some pointers. Im better at avionic than metal(and fibreglass)
I know that Stein and others build beautiful harnesses, but if the cost surprises you like it did me, it really is not hard to build your own - just time consuming. It's just a bunch of single wires. Buy a few tools and practice. Then measure three times, label everything, use service loops, test all connections before installation, and off you go.

My time wasn't worth enough to pay somebody else to do it for me, but I'm a fireman, so your hourly rate may be different

Chris
Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 PM

Default Panel brace

Justin,
I dropped mine to allow for radio and transponder.
You’ll need to check for leg room if your tall. I really need to move my seat back about 1-1/2”
Here’s my layout and a pick with the instruments in- the carbon fiber switch panel just sits in front of the dropped brace and flushed it with the front of the panel. Hope this helps with decisions.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:40 AM

Smile wiring

Approach Stack install pro hub and they make harness for your radio and EFIS or any other acc.When you up grade in the future makes it easy.Good people.
Bob
Old 01-18-2018, 08:42 AM

Ditto on dump the EIS, it’s redundant. You’ll punch buttons on it only to tweak “flow-cal” during calibrations.
However some of them report airspeed/altimeter, if so you may want that back up
Tim Andres
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM

ok slightly off topic but your complaint about 402C puzzled me. I looked at my project (I bought it at something near the QB stage) and there IS NO 402C. There it is on the plans, but not on the airplane. So thank you for bringing this to my attention
Old 01-18-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
and there IS NO 402C.
I'm glad the shared knowledge on this site has saved someone yet again! haha

RV-4 N249P O-320, Warnke Prop, GRT Sport EX
Old 01-18-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Plans keep changing...

I appreciate everybody's input and I've decided that F-402C is probably left unchanged. I'm not and engineer and certainly not a Test Pilot so we'll just leave it as is... My latest ideas have all been above "The 402C Line". I think letting the radio trays sit on 402C for support is probably easier than modifying anything. I am familiar with the use and operation of the equipment I have already, and I like that the EIS is visible as a back up if the EFIS fails.

But I'm sure that's a whole other conversation on reliability, failure rates, blah blah blah... In 7000+ hours of flying, I've never had a (or what felt like a) serious problem and I'd like to further mitigate that by somewhat planning for the unexpected.

Anyways, design/build/modify/steal/purchase some sort of battery redundancy to the Gemini ADI and EIS, and that's the minimum I'd need to get to the ground in a big problem. Or turn around and find VMC conditions.

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

p.s. It also looks like I'll be learning to build a wiring harness. My goal is to fly to SnF 2018 so I'd better hop to!

RV-4 N249P O-320, Warnke Prop, GRT Sport EX
Old 01-18-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
p.s. It also looks like I'll be learning to build a wiring harness. My goal is to fly to SnF 2018 so I'd better hop to!
The Garmin manuals have some good explanations on how to make the harnesses.

Or you just continue asking in this thread and we will try to help you out.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:36 PM

Look at the links in my signature. I have pics in there that will be helpfull.

I dont have that piece installed. I did however, work out a different solution.
VAF 2018 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:36 AM

Default EIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
I would hide the EIS since it is redundant and use 2 1/4" backup gauges. That's what I am doing on my 4.
While I understand that panel space in the -4 is even more of a premium than the -8, I will say that I have my EIS in the panel and I'm really happy that I do. It provides nearly instantaneous display of engine parameters after startup while I'm waiting for the EFIS to boot, and it allows me to monitor certain things that may not always be displayed on the EFIS. In addition, I find it very convenient for resetting/adjusting total fuel quantity after fill-up. I have mine back-mounted to the panel:

Skylor
RV-8