What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reno PRS, Rookie School... 2013

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
If you go to www.airrace.org, click on "For Pilots" then "Rookie Schools", this is what you will see:

For over a decade, the Reno Air Racing Association has sponsored the Pylon Racing Seminar (PRS) as a unique and productive opportunity for race pilots to prepare, practice and become certified to race in the National Championship Air Races each September.
The 16th Pylon Racing Seminar [PRS] will be held June 12-15, 2013 at Reno Stead Field. Deadline to enter is May 3rd, 2013.
It is the objective of the Reno Air Racing Association Board of Directors to assemble the most experienced, skilled, trained and race-certified pilots to compete at the Reno National Championship Air Races. To accomplish this objective, RARA along with the individual racing class organizations provide PRS to all pilots — offering race practice time, education, training and certification to all pilots and allowing them to race with maximum competitiveness and safety at the Reno National Championship Air Races.
Who is certified to race?
Pilots and alternate pilots certified to race in the Reno National Championship Air Races must have competed in the same racing class in Reno within the past three races, or received Race Class Pilot Certification during the Reno Pylon Racing Seminar, including:
Ground School
Formation Flying
Reno Pylon Race Simulation Flying
Passing the check ride by the FAA Certified Race Class Check Pilot
Who must attend the Pylon Racing Seminar?
You must attend PRS if you fall into any one of the following categories:
Never raced at the Reno National Championship Air Races
Raced in a different race class at the Reno National Championship Air Races
Not raced in the same race class in Reno within the past three years
PRS is a pilot certification program, not an aircraft qualification period. Although it is recommended, a pilot need not fly the plane he or she will race. However, any aircraft used must be of the same class for which the certification is being sought.
All phases of the certification must be completed during the Pylon Racing Seminar for any pilot who has never raced in Reno. There are no exceptions.
RARA makes no guarantees that there will be time available in September for a pilot to become certified in a new class or re-certified in a class in which he/she has previously raced at Reno. If time is available in September, pilots who complete in the Ground School portion of PRS will be given priority to become certified.
With an increase in the number of aircraft entered to compete in all classes, the time available for pilot certification during qualifying periods in September may be reduced or even eliminated. If the race class fields are filled by certified pilots who need to practice and qualify their aircraft, they will be given priority over pilots who need to complete the certification process.
MEDICAL REQUIREMENT: RARA requires each contestant, regardless of class, to have a current Type I or II Medical Certificate issued within six (6) months of any NCAR. A current Type I or II Medical Certificate is also required for PRS. Additionally, RARA highly recommends that all race pilots complete an EKG and a stress test and document same in the NCAR Race Entry Package.

The 2013 Pylon Racing Seminar Application​

I hear that this year's enrolment is the largest ever at 21. There are requirements for formation training and flip to inverted and recovery in addition to all that goes on in the seminar. That mystery I will get personal exposure to in a couple of weeks. In preparation I have taken some formation training with the MidsouthRVators at Pine Bluff, Arkansas and my friend Charlie Heathco who also has a RV-6A. Gerald Loyd (former Army helicopter pilot in Viet Nam with a DFC) has me set up to fly again with the MidsouthRVators Saturday and Sunday (6-1 & 6-2).

In the interest of preparing for the flip-flop, as Bob Mills calls it, I completed an upset training program with Don Witt at Sumit Aviation in Springdale, Arkansas. In a few days I went from no aerobatics to doing aileron rolls, loops, Hammerheads, Humptybumps, split-S's and more. Don is a former USAF F-4 pilot in Viet Nam. He signed my certificate Thursday.

Bob Mills has asked me to come to Reno on Wednesday the 5th of June which is the week before the actual FAST formation training and the Pylon Racing Seminar for more training.

I may very well fail at any point in this process but I intend to share the experience as well as I can as long as I am still a part of the experience in this thread.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
?..
I may very well fail at any point in this process but I intend to share the experience as well as I can as long as I am still a part of the experience in this thread.

Bob Axsom

I don't think that the effort you have put in to get to Reno could ever be considered a failure. Keep up the quest!

Quest for speed

I don't think that the effort you have put in to get to Reno could ever be considered a failure. Keep up the quest!

Very well said Brian!

Bob,
Reading your post made me want to watch one of your favorite movies so I did just that. "The Worlds Fastest Indian"
It's on Netflix. Great movie.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again next weekend for more formation flying!

Here's a photo from two weeks ago. (sorry about the canopy glare)

P1110817-1.jpg

Mark

bob,I have been involved with reno for over 30 years on both the operations side and the crew side. even though I have never met you personally, having read your posts here I can see the level of professionalism that you put in to all of your endeavors, be it flying, aircraft mods, or the work you have done for cancer research. With the amount of hands on and the level of the instructors at rookie school, from what I see the only way that you will leave without your race card is if YOU decide that you are not ready to race and the only thing that means it you go back next year and get more time on around the sticks before you race. Good luck and remember, have fun!

bob burns
RV-4
N82RB

The Adventure begins

Sunday my autopilot failed and Monday my right LASAR mag failed so I had some road blocks or opportunities to withdraw with grace and honor but I pressed on. I got home from working those problems at 3:30 this morning I replaced the failed mag with one I had repaired in Canada. I got everything done and the timing set at around 8:30 PM last night. It ran on that mag but it was TERRIBLE. I had a new one in my inventory that Red Hamilton had advised me of and I bought a short time ago. S-o-o-o I thought maybe they did a bad job on the repair. I ought to at least give it a Hail Mary try - sure enough the new one ran like a charm. That delighful event ocurred at 00:20 this morning. Then I installed the repaired autopilot and ran the ground checks. That went well. At 02:20 I had the cowl back on. I went home and baked the Salmon that I thawed out yesterday, had dinner and went to bed at 04:56.

Made it to Goodland, KS before dark tonoght. There are no lights on the plane in race configuration. I stopped here several times last year with all of the races in the northwest and the trip to Reno to work in Bob Mills' pit crew. I was met by Curtis who filled the tanks and gave me tiedown ropes and Dave Faust who I had met here before. Crop Duster, RV-7 and Pitts owner.

Tomorrow I hope to refuel in Wyoming near Salt Lake City and continue on to
Stead at Reno.

Some Reno Air Race e-mail Traffic is starting to come in. Sport Class President Lee Behel sent one today with a long attachment that I have to (and want to) read but I need my sleep first.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
DAY 2 pre PRS

I tookoff from goodland Kansas this morning and refueled at Bringham City, UT before arriving at Stead in Reno at 16:13 by someone's time. Bob
Mills went through a slide package he put together so we accomplished some work on the formation requirements. More tomorrow. I got to the room at 20:30 Local time what ever that is and I hadn't eaten since the spoon full of eggs, sausage link and cup of coffee this morning. In the hotel restaurant I had a bowl of chicken soup (VERY GOOD BUY THE WAY), half a turkey sandwich and two glasses of ice tea. Now I'm back in the room and it is 22:30and roll call is at 07:30 out on the ramp at Stead. Maybe I'll catch up tomorrow.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
If you have time... Carson City Airport kCXP is having an open house on June 15.
Nice small town gathering of planes and people. About 30 mi south.

Flew two Formation hops today at Stead

I decided to stop this effort after the second flight today. No more reports are planned. Thanks for the interest, I think it would be a good shared experience but I'm not the right guy.

Bob Axsom

Thanks Guys

I'll probably be going through there on the way to Montana, Idaho and Washington races later this year Dave. Your airport at Goodland gives me a good first fuel limit leg. Always good to see you. Jason Rovey (RV-8) and Bill Beaten (Harmon Rocket II) are still going to the PRS this year perhaps they will get a chance to post some observations and experiences.

Bob Axsom

I decided to stop this effort after the second flight today. No more reports are planned. Thanks for the interest, I think it would be a good shared experience but I'm not the right guy.

Bob Axsom

Bob,

I hope that you will share a bit more with us. Can you tell us what it was that made you decide to call a halt? You leave the impression that it was the formation experience. I have a passing interest in formation flight and your experience may be helpful to others. If you prefer, just PM me.

Formation experience Was the Reason to Call a Halt

I really don't have any experience that would relate to someone wanting to participate in formation training. It wasn't a technical decision.

Bob Axsom

Passing images

The Chocolate Stars bought in Goodland, Kansas FBO ended up being eaten like jerky after it cooled in the room at Reno

IMG_7090_zpsa99805b6.jpg

IMG_7091_zpsca2bb137.jpg

Actually tasted pretty good.

Bob Axsom

Aviation Niches

I really don't have any experience that would relate to someone wanting to participate in formation training. It wasn't a technical decision.

Bob Axsom

That's the nice thing about aviation, there's a niche in there for everybody. I don't dig air racing, but do like formation. You the opposite. Keep on doing what you like to do, and do it safely.

Reno

That's the nice thing about aviation, there's a niche in there for everybody. I don't dig air racing, but do like formation. You the opposite. Keep on doing what you like to do, and do it safely.

Well said; Stu!

Bob; celebrate the fact that we're all individuals and as such we're not all smushed together like your bag of Chocolate Stars!:D

Last edited:
Flew home Saturday 10.1 hours flight time

No head winds anywhere and VFR all the way, Flew south avoiding the high peaks and restricted areas over Las Vegas, NV to Prescott, AZ and refueled, 3.3 hrs. Leg 2 Prescott over Albuquerque to refuel at Tucumcari, NM 3.0 hrs. Final leg Tucumcari over Amarillo, TX direct to Fayetteville, Arkansas (Drake Field) arriving just before dark at 22:44 CDT, 3.8 hrs. Good tail winds on the last leg - much 200+ knot GS time. It was a good adventure, I gained much experience, including formation flying and limited aerobatic training but it is good to be home.

For Ron I guess I can add a little bit of feedback:

1 - I think formation flying requires a lot of precision and to do that special techniques are required. Some time spent on these techniques would be worthwhile. Things like triming the pitch skewed to favor descent so that the pilot only applies small increase in stick force in the UP direction and relaxes stick force for the small upward and downward corrections respectively can make for much more stable station keeping flight (I know - maintaining position).

2 - Riding with an instructor that gives a running commentary as he/she is performing the corrections and maneuvers for correcting spacing, acute, sucked, high and low positions, breaks, crossovers, formation changes, parade and route alignment views, angles and adjustments for rejoins, etc. is much more educational than riding with one that just does it and says nothing.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Bob and I have had this discussion: He worked very hard towards this goal...harder than many or most would, given the obstacles. He flies very well, and dedicated himself to this mission, despite the need to delve into a few areas of aviating unfamiliar to him (basic aerobatics and basic formation). I admire his courage and dedication in making a splendid effort. I also respect his decision, both as his instructor and as his friend.

The hill did not appear unclimbable, and an offer was made to take some time to think it over and move forward. However, the decision had been made, and once that is clear, there is no question about the correct course of action. Bob came to that conclusion himself, and as he said, it was not a technical decision. As much as I would have done just about anything to help my friend realize this dream, to push or cajole further, in this environment, would be to invite, at best discomfort, and at worst, danger.

Bob's a superb SARL racer...there are perhaps none better out there. As Falcon said so well, we can celebrate our individual niche...especially when you are as good at it as Bob is!

Bob's a helluva good pilot and a helluva good man. He made this decision on his terms...'nuf said.

Repectfully,
Bob

Bob,

Thank you for bringing us all along with you. I always enjoy reading of your quest to be the fastest. Racing is something that is on many of our bucket lists and although we can't always check that item off ourselves it's great to live vicariously through you.

Thanks Bob Mills

Bob and I have had this discussion: He worked very hard towards this goal...harder than many or most would, given the obstacles. He flies very well, and dedicated himself to this mission, despite the need to delve into a few areas of aviating unfamiliar to him (basic aerobatics and basic formation). I admire his courage and dedication in making a splendid effort. I also respect his decision, both as his instructor and as his friend.

The hill did not appear unclimbable, and an offer was made to take some time to think it over and move forward. However, the decision had been made, and once that is clear, there is no question about the correct course of action. Bob came to that conclusion himself, and as he said, it was not a technical decision. As much as I would have done just about anything to help my friend realize this dream, to push or cajole further, in this environment, would be to invite, at best discomfort, and at worst, danger.

Bob's a superb SARL racer...there are perhaps none better out there. As Falcon said so well, we can celebrate our individual niche...especially when you are as good at it as Bob is!

Bob's a helluva good pilot and a helluva good man. He made this decision on his terms...'nuf said.

Repectfully,
Bob

I would like to clarify one point. I am not a dreamer. Last year I was invited to the PRS by Lee Behel e-mail
but it was not possible. This year I sized up all the requirements and progressively satisfied every one of them,
spent several thousand dollars in the process and flew to Reno to participate in the seminar. After our private
pre-PRS Formation Practice I decided that I did not belong there and returned home but it was never a "dream"
or "bucket list" item to me. I do not regret making the effort, I learned a lot and experienced much but
I was deadly serious in the pursuit.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Just heard that there was a mid air at PRS today, luckily both planes landed safely.

Bob, any details???

Two L-39's came together yesterday. One landed without incident and the other elected to belly land after an aborted landing attempt. No injuries but two very likely totalled L-39's.

I hadn't heard about any issues today.

Tim

"Officials say it was a minor accident, referring to it as "trading paint."

22588531_BG2.png

Last edited:
Tim, thanks------probably the same incident that the local radio is only now reporting.

Good that the pilots are both OK.

I heard about this tonight from a pilot who was there today - it sounded like a pretty intense time until he got it on the ground. According to what I was told, it tried to roll inverted when he (tried to) put the gear down....

I heard about this tonight from a pilot who was there today - it sounded like a pretty intense time until he got it on the ground. According to what I was told, it tried to roll inverted when he (tried to) put the gear down....

Hey Paul! I think he got the gear down OK but the tires were flat. You can see the air hose next to the airplane 'cause they are getting ready to re-inflate the tires. :D

But seriously, it's this kind of accident that puts the air races at risk. I will be the insurance companies and lawyers that will doom the races. I'm just glad that no one was hurt.

It would be interesting ...

I've flown in 50 races and it is something that I take some interest in from several perspectives including drag reduction,
thrust improvement, performance (speed) testing, wind analysis and race strategy. It is common knowledge that I do not
like formation flying I think but I know many pilots that derive their greatest satisfaction from it. RARA thinks so much of
it that two days before the start of the actual PRS are spent on formation flying.

It would be interesting to know how that emphasis on formation flying related to this incident. If it doesn't relate at all, what
does that say about the value of it as a requirement for a license to race at Reno? Would making a 100 meter free style swimmers
participate in synchronized swimming make them better racers? Would making a pilots who want to fly formation participate in a
race make them better formation pilots? It makes no sense to me.

But... I was there:

IMG_7092_zpsfa5ecf22.jpg

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Mid-air

Air hose pictured probably to inflate bladders to lift airframe high enough to get crash recovery cherry picker under for lifting. Note the edge of pavement- that is actually the end of runway 14, about 8000ft long, he came to a stop with just feet left! Reason for bellying in on landing was plane was unstable when gear was extended & actually tumbled when first tried to extend. He finally got it down on the third attempt, I assume he had to keep the landing speeds up to maintain controllability. Other plane involved made a relatively normal (emergency) landing. I didn't see the actual collision, was walking behind the bleachers & noticed a blue puff of smoke in the infield, ran up into the bleachers in time to witness the second belly approach on rwy26 by the tail damaged L39, he appeared to actually tap the runway a couple times before over shooting & going around to belly in on rwy 14.
My understanding is this was caused by a botched formation rejoin.
To say witnessing this gave us a very uneasy feeling is an understatement.

I'm sure You are right

It is just not for me. That's fine, it is probably better that we went our separate ways. I could say I wish I had figured that out before flying from Arkansas to Reno but really it was an adventure and I'm not sorry for the experience. You can't get that sitting at home.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I've flown in 50 races.<snip> It is common knowledge that I do not like formation flying I think but I know many pilots that derive their greatest satisfaction from it. RARA thinks so much of
it that two days before the start of the actual PRS are spent on formation flying.

It would be interesting to know how that emphasis on formation flying related to this incident. If it doesn't relate at all, what
does that say about the value of it as a requirement for a license to race at Reno? Would making a 100 meter free style swimmers
participate in synchronized swimming make them better racers? Would making a pilots who want to fly formation participate in a
race make them better formation pilots? It makes no sense to me.

But.. I was there:

Bob Axsom

Bob,

I'll see if I can help you make some sense of it. We've had conversations about it, but your post brings together a few items that may help make a good explanation.

With respect to the pre-PRS formation training, it is actually the classes that conduct the FAST formation training. The Jet, Sport and T-6 classes all do it, and RARA is very happy we do, as it helps prepare the pilots for the rigors of PRS. However, it is done completely outside the purview of RARA, and prior to the airspace waiver taking effect. The 2 days of FAST are not intended to make formation airshow pilots of attendees..not by a wide margin. Those training days are there to give vets a chance to re-hone skills, and more directly to allow PRS rookies to learn and sharpen procedures that will be used in the Reno arena. That training allows all race pilots to become familiar with each other, and gives them all a head start heading into PRS. In years past (before the dedicated FAST days), those with no formal formation training had the daunting task of learning basic formation while trying to learn Reno race course skills at the same time. Today, the overwhelming reaction of attendees is that the dedicated formation days are worth their weight in gold.

So why formation?..

The racing you and I do in SARL is quite different than the racing done at Reno. SARL racing is no less racing, and the motivations of the pilots are very similar. Both are a test of pilot, machine, preparation and execution, as you well know. Both are fun, exciting, challenging and gratifying.

However, there are vast differences in the arena, and the flying demands are radically different..truly. In saying that, I do not say one type of race pilot is better than the other..just that the events are very different.

One is X-C racing, with timed starts, little passing, sometimes done on autopilot...except for turns, and includes navigation work. Weather and winds dictate altitude selection and strategy. Its fun, and we are, in a sense, racing with ourselves, and hoping we do a better job of that than our competitors (and that is not a hit..I love that challenge!). Occasionally we get to pass another aircraft, and the league has done a good job of rule-making to make that safe.

The other is head to head, from the chute to the checkered flag. Formation is a part of the game from start-up, through taxi, takeoff, rejoin, transit to the chute, down the chute, and while on the course. After the start, its what we call "uncooperative formation"..but rest assured, there are formation and passing contracts that are in force at all times...and were written in blood.

Formation in the latter environment has to be second nature. As I said above, its not airshow flying at all. That has a set of special demands unique to it. Formation in this environment is very tailored, and is very much mission-oriented. It is a close cousin of military formation flying, where formation was a basic, underlying skill essential to mission accomplishment. In that environment, pilots fly in formation to and from the mission, and then have a tactical contract with the rest of their flight during the mission. Basic formation skills need to be automatic, so the pilot can focus on the mission. Reno racing is kind of like that, with respect to formation.

If Reno was flown in marked and separated lanes, in a relatively 2D environment, then perhaps your 100 meter freestyle analogy might apply. However, Reno is most definitely not like that, and our version of synchronized swimming is essential to the safety of our event. I cannot imagine coming down the chute line abreast, wingtip to wingtip (I know, that's redundant ;)), 1-2 ships widths apart, with a group of pilots that did not have a basic competence in formation. That basic competence is achievable by anyone, but it does have to be there. It is essential to the smooth execution of all the elements of Reno racing that I listed two paragraphs above. FAST and PRS are designed to develop that basic competence. Prior experience and/or preparation is, IMHO, also essential. That's what I was hoping you and I could accomplish, so we could get past the basics and onto the "mission-essential" formation work. And as I've told ya mano-a-mano, I totally respect your decision.

Now as for the Race 777 incident..you pondered how the formation emphasis related to this accident. Caveat: The following is my opinion. I was airborne, leading a flight of 5 at the time of the midair and subsequent situation. I listened to the second half of it and held for the runway to open, but I didn't witness it visually. It was all discussed in detail over the next days. From all reports, it was not a formation rejoin accident. There were 4 aircraft on the course: 2 students and 2 certified racers. Two aircraft were flying in close company around outer 4, headed to outer 5, and were wide on that turn. One was Race 99, who was hit in the midair. 777 was coming up from behind, and was much faster..reportedly 80+ knots of closure. Some reports say he had just come onto the course from the Queue (a holding pattern above the course, used in PRS and during qualifying). Others said he was just flying the course. In either event, 777 ended up inside the other 2 aircraft around pylon 4, and closed from inside to outside the other aircrafts' turn, and apparently tried to avoid them by flying under them. That's how his tail hit 99's forward left fuselage. From all reports, the events after that were incredible, and the pilot brought a very damaged airplane in. No armchair quarterbacking here..just glad everyone made it back on the ground OK.

With that background, to your question about how formation relates. Though it was not strictly formation maneuvering, all standard Reno Race Course rules, and flying contracts as defined by the race class were in effect, and in many aspects it does come back to some basic tenets of formation..even when it is "uncooperative formation". Those (again IMHO) are: general SA of aircraft in your "flight" around you, recognition of closure and aspect ratio, discipline to fly to the contract in place with those in your flight, decision-making matrix when something goes off-plan, and always leaving yourself an out. I'm sure there are more, but that's a good start. None of those are bullets fired at the midair pilot..I was not in his airplane, and did not see what he saw. I'm giving those items as formation tenets applicable to any Reno race or practice session.

So the gist of it, in response to your question about applicability of formation skills, is..if your gonna fly near other airplanes around pylons at 50 feet, its pretty imperative that you have a solid comfort level flying near other aircraft, and a solid grasp of all procedures related to flying near other aircraft..or formation.

As for making better formation pilots by having them race..dunno..maybe, maybe not...might make them racing addicts though! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

To keep the positive vibe going on PRS and Reno Racing...

...here is a video, made by the 15 year old son of a friend and fellow SWA pilot that lives here in Reno. They were out at PRS last week, and Aidan shot and edited this neat little piece. A few airplanes you'll recognize!

The dream is definitely still alive in many...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkMD8mvPeRo

Nice job Aidan!

Cheers,
Bob
Race 49

To keep the positive vibe going on PRS and Reno Racing...

...here is a video, made by the 15 year old son of a friend and fellow SWA pilot that lives here in Reno. They were out at PRS last week, and Aidan shot and edited this neat little piece. A few airplanes you'll recognize!

The dream is definitely still alive in many...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkMD8mvPeRo

Nice job Aidan!

Cheers,
Bob
Race 49

I bet if your two sons each had a computer, editing software, and some cameras, they could have put something like this together also.

I bet if your two sons each had a computer, editing software, and some cameras, they could have put something like this together also.

I'll have to get them set up. In September, it'll be planes and girls (there are a lot of both at the Races)...we'll see which one gets more air time! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

2 questions???

1. insurance: does this incident. ( okay, crash if you prefer) affect the RARA insurance, the pilot or whom?
I can't imagine the racers have much more than some liability coverage during racing, and perhaps some hull during ferry and other 'normal' ops.
when racer 1 hits racer 2, I imagine it's chalked up to 'racing', unless some criminal negligence can be shown. Once you enter the field, you basically are waiving most kinds of insurance, no? ( sure was that way when we raced stock cars!)

2. Ralph Inkster - what are you doing there???? :) just curious!...turning wrenches on some of the sport class qualifiers?

Well they do require special insurance and special coverage

I had a very difficult time getting the coverage. My agent took several months to get it and it was only obtained from the very last possible source. However, when it comes to settling up after an accident that is a whole new situation and you can expect the insurance company to take the cheapest legal way out including scrap.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Perry,

Race pilots are required to carry specific levels of liability coverage to participate. Hull is optional. I carry both, and pay an extra amount to cover Reno racing, which has a higher deductible for hull. Each pilot and owner has their own deal with their broker and underwriter, so I can only speak about mine. With that coverage in place, I would say that no pilots are waiving any coverage by entering the field, unless they are doing it outside of their policy...which would be pretty foolish IMHO....especially with respect to the required liability.

I'm sure the investigation is ongoing, but in general, in a situation like the recent midair, one would think the pilot that caused the midair (and his liability coverage) would be responsible for damage to the other aircraft, and property damage, if restitution is sought. His hull (if he carries it) would be responsible for the damage to his aircraft.

Will his premiums go up? Will the premiums of other racers go up? Will RARA's premiums go up? Hard to say...one would think yes on the first, and unclear on 2 and 3. Depends on the emotional and fiscal reaction of the brokers and underwriters. It definitely happened after the Ghost crash, but that was a very different event. I'll find out when I renew in a couple months! Fingers crossed! ;)

Hope that answers the mail on your Q. :)

Cheers,
Bob

1. insurance: does this incident. ( okay, crash if you prefer) affect the RARA insurance, the pilot or whom?
I can't imagine the racers have much more than some liability coverage during racing, and perhaps some hull during ferry and other 'normal' ops.
when racer 1 hits racer 2, I imagine it's chalked up to 'racing', unless some criminal negligence can be shown. Once you enter the field, you basically are waiving most kinds of insurance, no? ( sure was that way when we raced stock cars!)

2. Ralph Inkster - what are you doing there???? :) just curious!...turning wrenches on some of the sport class qualifiers?

2. I went down to act as Crew for Bill Beaton (HR II) & sit in on the PRS ground school, also to get an idea of what would be needed to support a Sport Class racer there.
Actually I was there to snoop & learn all of Bob's speed secrets!
Great meeting Jason, Tom & other members of the 'Metal Mafia' (non composite planes). Special thanks Bob for your help & hospitality!

The pleasure was all mine Ralph! And with all that building I see in your signature, I think you might be the secret weapon! ;)

2. I went down to act as Crew for Bill Beaton (HR II) & sit in on the PRS ground school, also to get an idea of what would be needed to support a Sport Class racer there.
Actually I was there to snoop & learn all of Bob's speed secrets!
Great meeting Jason, Tom & other members of the 'Metal Mafia' (non composite planes). Special thanks Bob for your help & hospitality!

Back