VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-01-2020, 03:03 PM

Red face Been there

Thanks for the tips. I have performed those ground checks and passed. In fact I passed my first flight at 1550 threshold except for the ICAO number. Since I corrected that I have failed two subsequent flights. FAA said I need to correct the FID section.

Have decided to move to a non adsb airport.

RV-3 restored
Stearman - airworthy - first fight ferry to LA for DAR - March 27, 2019 Yeah! No squawks.
L3 building for San Diego Air and Space Museum
Helio Courier constructing
Old 01-07-2020, 06:34 PM

Default Just don't be Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer46 View Post
Just finished install of echoUAT-SkyFYX-EXT in my 9A. Transponder is a Garmin GTX330 (not the ES). I decided not to upgrade the transponder. Some of the uAvionix documentation does not mention using a mode S non-extended squitter transponder. Other uAvionix documentation says it works. A call to uAvionix verified that I should be OK.

It worked on the first flight but red-boxed 12% on the Baro-alt with the default threshold of 1550. Setting the threshold to 1200 fixed that issue. I am a happy camper. Both IN and OUT working perfectly.

Kudos to uAvionix.
The only issue with having a Mode S transponder is use of "Anonymous Mode" in the ADS-B will cause a Flight ID discrepancy, since the transponder will always transmit your tail number
Old 01-08-2020, 10:11 AM

Is anyone having issues with the Wifi connectivity? I'm planning to install my UAT-Echo this weekend but I want to make sure that it works well underneath all that metal. The reason that I'm worried is that a few years ago I moved my SkyRadar under the panel and couldn't get my iPad to connect. Put it back on the glare shield and it started working again. I hate that thing being on the glare shield so I'm looking forward to replacing it with the Echo. Assuming that it'll work.
Christavia Mk1 - Fuselage
www.myrv7.com
Old 01-08-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkelbach View Post
Is anyone having issues with the Wifi connectivity? I'm planning to install my UAT-Echo this weekend but I want to make sure that it works well underneath all that metal. The reason that I'm worried is that a few years ago I moved my SkyRadar under the panel and couldn't get my iPad to connect. Put it back on the glare shield and it started working again. I hate that thing being on the glare shield so I'm looking forward to replacing it with the Echo. Assuming that it'll work.
My Echo UAT unit is behind the baggage bulkhead (with the SkyFyx antenna in between the seats on the seatback bulkhead). I have no issues with wifi connectivity with my iPad up near the panel. Can't imagine you'd have trouble if your Echo UAT unit is mounted even closer up in front of the panel.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2021
Old 01-08-2020, 12:10 PM

Default Same location as Steve --

I get good WiFi connection even in my closed office 30ft away -- never had any problem with equipment in airplane.

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 01-08-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer46 View Post
Just finished install of echoUAT-SkyFYX-EXT in my 9A. Transponder is a Garmin GTX330 (not the ES). I decided not to upgrade the transponder. Some of the uAvionix documentation does not mention using a mode S non-extended squitter transponder. Other uAvionix documentation says it works. A call to uAvionix verified that I should be OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKAV8r View Post
The only issue with having a Mode S transponder is use of "Anonymous Mode" in the ADS-B will cause a Flight ID discrepancy, since the transponder will always transmit your tail number
That's probably why Garmin states their GDL 82, also a UAT ADS-B OUT unit, should not be installed with a Mode S transponder (e.g., GTX 330).
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned
Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 AM

Default Echo too

The Echo installation instructions also say not to turn on anonymous mode if using a Mode S transponder. It is only one sentence in the installation instructions but it is there.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:56 AM

Default PFD ForeFlight Screen

Does anyone can tell me if you have your iPad connected to EchoUAT wifi for ADSB-In traffic, when you open ForeFlight and have the split screen to show "PFD" style, does it act kind of attitude indicator also?
Just asking. Never flew with someone with uAvionix Echo installed. Thank you.
RC Pilot ( if that counts )
2019 VAF Contribution Sent
Old 03-26-2020, 12:38 PM

In order to get the attitude indicator in Foreflight, you need it connected to a Stratus that has an AHRS.

The Echo does NOT have an AHRS, so no attitude info.
You get weather and traffic on the map view.
uAvionixEcho ADSB in/out with GRT Safe Fly GPS
Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 AM

Default Great answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGlaeser View Post
In order to get the attitude indicator in Foreflight, you need it connected to a Stratus that has an AHRS.

The Echo does NOT have an AHRS, so no attitude info.
You get weather and traffic on the map view.
Thanks Dennis for the great and simple explanation. Cleared all my doubts. Appreciate it.
RC Pilot ( if that counts )
2019 VAF Contribution Sent