What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT temps and a plenum

ALagonia

Well Known Member
Would like to hear from those 9 drivers that have an O-360 with a plenum and a FP prop. I have a three blade Catto.
How did you deal with high CHT temps? Not higher than Lycoming recommended limits but would like to lower temps if possible without flying at a lower HP.

CHT Plenum

I have a -9A with the James plenum and Cato 3 blade prop.
I implemented solutions to the ?zero fin depth? problem with Lycoming cylinders. There is a lot about that on other threads. I modified the air box to have channels passing air around the 0 fin depth area.

CHTS plenum

I got about 20 degrees F lowering of CHTs on cylinders 2 and 3 where I made the mod.

I have a two bladed Catto in front of a Sam James cowl and plenum that hides an O-360.

Setting the timing correctly helped lower my CHT's.

However, I think the problem with most plenums is that the builders tend to set them as low to the cylinders as they can. This is wrong. You want to give the air space to slow down before going past the cylinders. If you are still working on yours, get it as up high as you can.

What I did

Early in my RV9 time, my temps hit the 400+ range during climb out.
I did two things.
1- added cowl flaps, that dropped the temps 20+ degrees F.
2- changed my engine management, leave it full rich on climb to 6k or 8k or what ever your cruise is going to be.

Now I never see temps over 385 to 390F and cruise in the 320-350F range.

IO320 with GA prop set to high cruise pitch.

Early in my RV9 time, my temps hit the 400+ range during climb out.
I did two things.
1- added cowl flaps, that dropped the temps 20+ degrees F.
2- changed my engine management, leave it full rich on climb to 6k or 8k or what ever your cruise is going to be.

Now I never see temps over 385 to 390F and cruise in the 320-350F range.

IO320 with GA prop set to high cruise pitch.

The question is, what is high temperatures?

Lycoming lists 435*F as the max continuous and 500 as the max temperature.

If your CHT's go over 400*F in climb don't worry about them. The idea is to have less than 400*F in cruise.

Bill R said: "You want to give the air space to slow down before going past the cylinders. "

Please clarify that statement as I understand attaining "Reynolds Number Velocity" is essential to creating turbulence in between the fins necessary to maximize heat transfer.

The question is, what is high temperatures?

Lycoming lists 435*F as the max continuous and 500 as the max temperature.

If your CHT's go over 400*F in climb don't worry about them. The idea is to have less than 400*F in cruise.
The highest I?ve seen in climb is 428 on cylinder #4. In cruise I?m right at or right under 400 on cylinder #4. All others are lower.
I do keep the mixture full rich in a climb. And my fuel flow at take off is 15.3 gph.
I listened to the EAA webinar on leaning last night and getting CHT?s too low is not desirable. I would like to see mine a little closer to each other. I?ve been able to balance them out a bit and lower #4 experimenting with aluminum tape on cylinders 1 and 2 but at the expense of higher CHT?s on 1,2 and 3.

Bill R said: "You want to give the air space to slow down before going past the cylinders. "

Please clarify that statement as I understand attaining "Reynolds Number Velocity" is essential to creating turbulence in between the fins necessary to maximize heat transfer.
To be clear, I'm not an aerodynamicist, nor do I pretend to be one, and I could well be wrong.

My understanding is that if you give the air a chance to expand, it slows down. If it slows down, it using contact with the hot surfaces longer. If it using contact with the hot surfaces longer, it can absorb more heat.

In short, I put my plenum on as close to the cylinders as I could. I experienced high than desirable CHT's. I then raised the plenum and my CHT's dropped.

Last edited:
To be clear, I'm not an aerodynamicist, nor do I pretend to be one, and I could well be wrong.

My understanding is that if you give the air a chance to expand, it slows down. If it slows down, it using contact with the hot surfaces longer. If it using contact with the hot surfaces longer, it can absorb more heat.

In short, I put my plenum on as close to the cylinders as I could. I experienced high than desirable CHT's. I then raised the plenum and my CHT's dropped.

You're both right, within reason.

Static pressure + dynamic pressure = total pressure. Static and dynamic can be traded back and forth while total remains the same. We typically slow the air, i.e. reduce dynamic pressure, in order to raise static pressure, because we need a pressure difference between the upper and lower cowl volumes. That pressure difference makes air flow through the fins.

There are several ways to slow the air. Offhand, the three most common in our application would be external diffusion, internal diffusion (possibly Bill's internal expansion of upper cowl volume), and impact with a surface.

Note that Bill's plenum volume increase may not have resulted in higher static pressure, yet it may have increased heat transfer. Consider that in a typical GA installation, around half the fin area is not enclosed by baffle wraps. A considerable amount of the total heat transfer is due to random air motion within the upper cowl space, in contact with all the exposed fin and crankcase area, prior to the air actually entering the passages formed by fins and wraps.

Reynolds number enters the picture when we discuss flow between the fins. A low Reynolds number would indicate laminar flow. The required condition is Reynolds number high enough to guarantee turbulent flow, as turbulent flow considerably increases heat transfer from the hot fins to the air.

Returning to the OP's question, a plenum does not guarantee better cooling. A plenum lid is just a sealing device. The cowl inlets and connections to the enclosed space largely determine resulting pressure, as well as the availability of remaining velocity.

Last edited:
Back