What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming AST hinges??

rgmwa

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me if the long piano wire hinges that fix the AST tabs to the stabilator need to be primed, and if so what about the inside surface of the hinge barrel?

It's probably a dumb question since the Section 5 information says that all non-alclad aluminium components need to be primed (although it doesn't specifically mention the hinges). I've been priming all the usual non-alclad bits, but for some reason it didn't occur to me until after I'd riveted the AST hinges on that I'm probably supposed to prime those as well.

I haven't been able to find any clear information in any of the builders logs or by searching the threads, so here's hoping somebody can tell me I don't have to drill out all those rivets to get the hinges off. :(

hinges

G'day Robert,
I normally just primer the surface of the hinge that mates to the support structure. This way, when you paint the completed airplane, you will not a any issues with compatibilty to the finish paint system. Generally speaking, staying with a single manufacturer's paint and priming systems produces the best bond and finish. And. we usually don't decide on the finish paint systems until we're well into the construction process.
I also replace the plated steel hinge pin with a .091 stainless steel hinge pin for appearance and corrosion.
Enjoy a great New Year!
Chuck
RV-4 deceased
RV-3 flying
RV-6XL flying

My 1955 Cessna 180 has a multitude of similar hinges, all unprimed bare aluminum. Minimal corrosion if any after 55 years, I'd say don't worry about it unless you are on a coast.

Priming AST hinges

I believe the piano hinges are anodized and should not need a protective coating.

Art Pennanen

Chuck, David and Art.

Anodized hinges would make sense, as it would be next to impossible to prime them properly. A close look with a loupe shows that the hinge surface texture is finer that the surface of a piece of angle stock, so I think you're right Art. They are probably clear anodized.

Anyway, I've kept on riveting. Thanks all.

Back