What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D180 version?

redmark

I just received the avionics kit this week and installed the Dynon, SL40 & GTX327... Should the D180 version be at 5.3.1? My unit reports 5.3.0

Thanks,
-Ron

Last edited:
Dynon 5.3.1

Hi Ron,
If you are going to have the autopilot, you should upgrade to 5.3.1

There have been a couple of threads on this, so a search might be worthwhile for background info.

Tony

Dynon D180 version

I understand the new Dynons have the upgrade port on the back of the unit, so you simply remove the unit, take it to your computer and do the upgrade.
This explains the disappearance of the dongle from the Tunnel Harness on page 31-14 rev. 3.

Have those of you that have recently recieved the avionics found this to be true?

Art Pennanen

Dynon D-180 serial port

I understand the new Dynons have the upgrade port on the back of the unit, so you simply remove the unit, take it to your computer and do the upgrade.
Yes, that is true. The serial port is connected to the Dynon harness with 6" wires. I understand that the serial port can also be used for downloading flight history from the Dynon to a PC. If one did that frequently, a serial port under the panel would be convenient.
Joe
See picture:
DSCN4216a.jpg

Yes, that is true. The serial port is connected to the Dynon harness with 6" wires. I understand that the serial port can also be used for downloading flight history from the Dynon to a PC. If one did that frequently, a serial port under the panel would be convenient.
Joe
See picture:
DSCN4216a.jpg

Joe,
Your serial port is very cool. I plan to do something similar, right now I just have it dangling out of the hole in the tunnel cover. You need access to the port frequently. The PAP have you downloading the Dynon data log after each flight test card. Plus, you may want to make changes to your checklists as you become more familiar with the aircraft, and load any upgrades to the firmware.
Tony

I also received a DB 9 pig tail off the D180's DB 25 EFIS connector but the total length including the d-sub shell is less than 6". I'll need to extend the length before I can mount it externally.

Also, I applied the 5.3.1 update but the D180 still says its at 5.3.0. I didn't see an error, everything seems to be working and I don't have the auto pilot install at this time so I'll skip it for now.

-Ron

9 Pin Sub connector

Do you have the optional second Dynon D100? When you in stalled the wiring harness that came with the finishing kit did it have a 9 pin connector that was installed in the tunnel under the instrument panel?

John
RV12 N1212K

John,

No, I do not have the D100... yes I do have the DB9 in the tunnel. So seems to I have two locations with the DB9 for updating... the tunnel and the pig tail on the back of the D180.

-Ron

Last edited:
5.3.1 is an update to the Dynon Support Program only (but not the firmware files contained within) to help RV-12 owners more smoothly update their systems since it requires the Vans-provided settings files. Prior to this update, you had to go through a couple of iterations to get everything to take correctly. See the release notes here. If you have 5.3 firmware on your product, you're up-to-date.

For future reference, when we come out with a new firmware version, Vans updates (usually within a short time of the firmware being available) the settings files that enable your RV-12 FlightDEK-D180 and EFIS-D100 systems to be updated (with all of the latest settings).

As a quite note, we're wrapping up testing on 5.4, which should be out probably in a week or so. The big feature here is a big update to the pitch algorithms for the AP in pitch. It includes a bunch of "knobs" you can adjust to really dial in the performance. Part of what Vans does when they create these settings files is set some of these up so that it should work for all of you basically "out of the box".

Dynon update!

So let me see if I got this straight! Every time you guys (Dynon) come out with a software update, Vans will update their Settings files and we will down load them from his web site before running the Dynon update. Correct? I'm looking forward to reducing that slight pitch oscillation in altitude hold. Turns are much better now since the last update. Good work Dynon.

John
RV12 N1212K

Only 1 D-Sub will work

.. yes I do have the DB9 in the tunnel. So seems to I have two locations with the DB9 for updating... the tunnel and the pig tail on the back of the D180. -Ron
For those of you who have a D-Sub in the tunnel and another one on 6" wires as part of the Dynon wiring harness, be advised that the D-Sub in the tunnel will not work. It could be removed to save weight. The reason that it will never work is because the connecting wires that go between the Dynon and the Control Board have been cut off and attached to the new D-Sub six inches behind the Dynon.
It is lots of trouble to remove all of those screws on the tunnel cover in order to connect a PC to the Dynon. The latest method is not much better (pulling the Dynon out of the panel to connect to the D-Sub on the back). At OSH I looked under the panel at Van's red RV-12 and noticed that they left the D-Sub hanging below the panel. That is much handier, but requires two hands to push the male and female D-Sub connectors together. A D-Sub permanently mounted to the underside of the panel is the best solution. One hand can be used to plug the serial port in without even looking.
Joe

How do you identify the correct version settings file?

For future reference, when we come out with a new firmware version, Vans updates (usually within a short time of the firmware being available) the settings files that enable your RV-12 FlightDEK-D180 and EFIS-D100 systems to be updated (with all of the latest settings).

If the Van's settings file is version dependent then it would be useful to be able to identify the files intended version compatibility. The file name "FlightDEK-D180_locked_settings.efs" gives no clue to its version. The creation date of the current file on Van's website is April 16, 2010, which is older than the version 5.3.1 released by Dynon on 7/1/10.

Did those of you running 5.3.1 do ok with the older settings file, or did you get a more current one from Van's?

Dynon Ver 5.4 Released!

Scott, Are the Vans RV12 Download files updated to work with the new 5.4 release for the Dynon? I await your humble reply!;)

John
RV12 N1212K

John,

I can confirm two things... the unlock file currently (9/3/2010) on Van's site will allow 5.4 to be install BUT you will loose all the Van's settings. No big deal for me as I'm still weeks from flying but others may want to wait for the new Van's unlock file.

-Ron

Last edited:
Dynon update

Ron before you uploaded the new software did you download your original setting first? If so after you do the Dynon update I think you can upload your old setting back in.

John
RV12 N1212K

I saved my checklist and setting... I was able to get back my checklist but no other settings returned.

-Ron

Last edited:
Scott, Are the Vans RV12 Download files updated to work with the new 5.4 release for the Dynon? I await your humble reply!;)

John
RV12 N1212K

I believe the 5.4 lock file is about to go on line. It is currently installed in N412RV.
I think the plan is that from now on the lock file name will contain info so that customers can tell which software release level it corresponds to.

Scott,
Just to be totally clear, will the 5.4 lock file be labeled 5.4 or is the one on Van's web site that is there now (unlabeled as to the version level) the correct one for 5.4. I am not sure exactly when you you meant the labeling of level will take place ("from now on").
Thanks,
Larry

Scott,
Just to be totally clear, will the 5.4 lock file be labeled 5.4 or is the one on Van's web site that is there now (unlabeled as to the version level) the correct one for 5.4. I am not sure exactly when you you meant the labeling of level will take place ("from now on").
Thanks,
Larry

My understanding is that the Dynon release level (example - 5.4.0) will be incorporated into the file designation in some way so that customers can correlate it to a specific Dynon update. I don't know how exactly, because I think the actual file name can't have periods in it. I think it will just be part of the named link you click to get the file.
If the current file doesn't have anything making it obvious that it is release level 5.4, then the new file hasn't been posted yet.

So yes, I meant from now on (as suggested by many of you guys here on VAF)

Thanks Scott,
There is no indication on the zip file on Van's site, but when you click on it, a pop up appears with another name of the file to download and it had a -3 within that name, so it must be for the 5.3 version. I hadn't clicked on the zip file before and hadn't even thought to do so (didn't know that more info would show up after clicking !). Hope this helps everyone else also. I think you need to add a computer with internet access to the suggested list of tools required to build the RV-12. I don't know how you could maintain the plane properly without one and it sure helped with the build process also.

OK,
I am not the most literate on the computer. I went back and clicked on those lock files again and each time I did, the -# in the pop up changes so my previous message is in error. There must be a designation that will be incorporated right in the zip file name.
Larry

Last edited:
Dynon 5.4 Data Logging Interval

Has anyone been able to change the Dynon 5.4 internal data logging interval from 1 second to any other value? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks,
Bob Kibby "N712BK"

Sorry this feature is Locked

Bob, Sorry this is part of Vans Locked Setting and we as owners are unable to change this feature. Send them a polite email and let them know you want it unlocked. It gathers to much data and makes the file a bit over whelming.

John
RV12 N1212K

Back