What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

longer throttle control

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Having a carbon fiber panel with quadrant, we need longer (all three) cables. Are any of the cables listed at Aircraft Spruce good replacements? If so could someone please indicate the series? If not another source would be helpful?
We are also looking for eyeball firewall penentrations. I did read on here the steel, six bolt ones were the best bet. I purchased one with an internal bore of .260" . It's too big for the heat boxes cables and too small for Van's throttle. The heat boxes need .187", where would I find some that would fit the three quadrant cables?
Thanks Ron

Not saying it cannot be used but the quadrant end has attachment points and so does the other end. The secure cable attachments would have to be remade in order to use the extentions. I would rather replace.

Ron,

The answer is, it depends......

You should only need about 3" longer than the factory supplied cables to install the Aerosport panel. The same is true for the throttle quadrant option too. The depends part is based upon which engine model, the engine supplier (Lycoming, Barrett, Mattituck, Aerosport, etc), and variations in the routing may cause minor variances from one build to another.

I wasn't aware of the extension that Mike highlighted from ACS. Those look very interesting and are definitely significantly less expensive.

Most of Geoff's install docs are now online.

I've got my throttle quadrant installed, but no engine yet. I haven't order my cables yet, or I would share the part numbers.

bob

quadrant cable length

I had the same problem because of the custom console I made. I talked with Vans and they make longer custom cables. I bought 3 cables with longer lengths than Vans stocked and they were $70.00 each. It didn't seem to make any difference on the length with price.

Greg Hale
www.nwacaptain.com

Bob,
Will the Aerosport carbon panel require longer cables for standard panel position (not quadrant) with the lycoming io-540? I have the as-shipped Van's cables and hadn't realized this.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

Ron,

The answer is, it depends......

You should only need about 3" longer than the factory supplied cables to install the Aerosport panel. The same is true for the throttle quadrant option too. The depends part is based upon which engine model, the engine supplier (Lycoming, Barrett, Mattituck, Aerosport, etc), and variations in the routing may cause minor variances from one build to another.

I wasn't aware of the extension that Mike highlighted from ACS. Those look very interesting and are definitely significantly less expensive.

Most of Geoff's install docs are now online.

I've got my throttle quadrant installed, but no engine yet. I haven't order my cables yet, or I would share the part numbers.

bob

Bob,
Will the Aerosport carbon panel require longer cables for standard panel position (not quadrant) with the lycoming io-540? I have the as-shipped Van's cables and hadn't realized this.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

Yes, but it really depends on a bunch of builder specific variables. What engine accessories are in the way and the specific routing of the cables will impact the exact length.

The instructions state that about 3" longer than the factory length will likely be what most people will need.

The position on the Aerosport panel for these cables is in a different location than what Van originally intended, which is why longer cables are needed. I am aware of one person that got the prop and mixture cables to fit and only had to order a throttle cable. But he also stated those two cables were really tight.

If you engine is mounted, you may want to consider running some string along the intended cable path before you place an order. These cables can get expensive and you only want to order them once.

bob

Seth
The Van's cable is larger than the hole in those firewall pennentrations. I ordered the six screw type as recomended on here and the hole cannot be enlarged in my opinion.
Thanks Ron

Back