What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SlickStart Booster Thoughts.

I have a RV with a factory rebuilt Lycoming 0-360-A1A. (275 HRS)

I just bought this aircraft last month and have flown it for 30 hours. I live in a warm/hot climate. The Engine does not like to start. I drained the battery once cranking it. I have an electric Fuel pump but no electric primer. For normal start I crack the throttle an inch. The Van's operator manual says not to pump the throttle during start. The engine just doesn't seem want to fire. It is now in the shop. They pulled the plugs and they looked fine. They are replacing the right magneto. It has 2 Slick Mags. One mechanic working on it recommended that I install a Slick Start Booster. I am trying to get a general opinion if this is worthwhile and if it would help fix the issue. I didn't build this airplane (4th owner) and when the Mech asked about configuration questions, I can't answer. Thanks for your inputs and suggestions in advance.

Before you replace a magneto with a new one consider a PMag (or similar) electronic ignition. It will solve your starting issues. You can run one PMag and one Slick Mag, a lot of folks do that.

Note that you reference a Van's operating manual, to my knowledge there is no such thing. The builder may have created a PoH but it's not from the kit manufacturer and although may contain great advice it probably shouldn't be treated as gospel.

Last edited:
First, a lecture: You own an EAB airplane. You really should make an effort to know what you own, inside and out.
You need to find out what kind of mags you have.
If you carefully turn the prop by hand, as you approach peak compression, do you hear a ?clank?? If so, you have an impulse mag and the engine should start without a Slick start. If there is no ?clank?, you have a retard breaker, and it is designed to use a Slick start module to start, although under good conditions it may start without one. (You can also look at the data plate on the mags, then look them up, to see if they are impulse, retard, or plain.)

I have a RV with a factory rebuilt Lycoming 0-360-A1A. (275 HRS)

I just bought this aircraft last month and have flown it for 30 hours. I live in a warm/hot climate. The Engine does not like to start. I drained the battery once cranking it. I have an electric Fuel pump but no electric primer. For normal start I crack the throttle an inch. The Van's operator manual says not to pump the throttle during start. The engine just doesn't seem want to fire. It is now in the shop. They pulled the plugs and they looked fine. They are replacing the right magneto. It has 2 Slick Mags. One mechanic working on it recommended that I install a Slick Start Booster. I am trying to get a general opinion if this is worthwhile and if it would help fix the issue. I didn't build this airplane (4th owner) and when the Mech asked about configuration questions, I can't answer. Thanks for your inputs and suggestions in advance.

Ask your mechanic if the mags are wired correctly. If it has a keyswitch, verify jumper is installed if there's only one impulse coupled mag.

I run into bad work ALL THE TIME done by A&P's. Just in the last two days I've run into A. a brand-new mag that was timed incorrectly, off five degrees and B. a trim servo motor on a Cherokee 6 that was installed backwards and was installed this way for years.

First, a lecture: You own an EAB airplane. You really should make an effort to know what you own, inside and out.
You need to find out what kind of mags you have.
If you carefully turn the prop by hand, as you approach peak compression, do you hear a ?clank?? If so, you have an impulse mag and the engine should start without a Slick start.

Bob, I have an impulse mag.

It's been running OK once started?
Mag checks OK?
If both answers are yes, I'd look somewhere other than the mags.

Do you have a manual push-pull primer?
If not, pumping the throttle WHILE CRANKING (not before cranking) will take the place of a primer. Cranking speed may not produce enough suction in the venturi to draw fuel up from the carb bowl through the jets and up to the cylinders. It's getting cooler in AZ which calls for a bit more fuel while starting.

I start my A1A with the throttle opened 1/4 inch from the idle stop.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

It's been running OK once started?
Mag checks OK?
If both answers are yes, I'd look somewhere other than the mags.
Do you have a manual push-pull primer?
If not, pumping the throttle WHILE CRANKING (not before cranking) will take the place of a primer. RV-6A KBTF

During Run up the Mags check OK.

Engine is running a Tad rough in flight which is why I took it to mechanics.

I do not have a Manual Push/pull Engine Primer.

Thanks

My 0-360-A1A will not fire when cold unless I prime it with the primer or pump the throttle.
You might try a healthy shot of starting fluid right before cranking it. If it fires, that would point away from the mags and toward a fuel problem.
Also, check for intake leaks.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

Back