What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AZ to SC

FlyinTiger

Well Known Member
Fall is a beautiful and cool time to fly. I shared my most recent trip to pick up this beautiful RV-7 on Facebook, but for those without it, perhaps it is appropriate to post here as well.

To those buying a flying RV of any kind, let me encourage you to pick it up and ferry it yourself. Get the required transition training when you’re first looking. Join the local EAA chapter and ride along with all your new friends before you buy.

After the inspection and purchase is all complete, or whenever you can, fly with the current owner at least once, twice is better, if they will agree.

There’s no better way to become intimately familiar with your new plane besides cleaning it and flying it.

I was fortunate enough to find an RV-7 that hadn’t been advertised yet, built by an A&P who still owned it. The prebuy inspection went well and I gave him a cash down payment. I returned a few weeks later ready to ferry it from Prescott, AZ back to my hangar near Columbia, SC. Search patiently. The right one for you is out there.

PRC-P52-L41-E98-HSD-25M-6J4-SC45

I opted to fly to a nearby airport to save on cheap gas, took a sight seeing detour up through Marble Canyon, overnight in Oklahoma to see my wife who was there on business, then a leisurely flight home the next morning. 12.1 hrs logged, including taxi time. I planned three hour legs where I could but cheap gas is sometimes not spaced as evenly as I’d like it. LOL

Remember to ask for any extra parts if the owner has any. Log books. Plans. Seat foam and additional cushions. Fuel dip sticks. Oil. Tires. Etc. Ship it or account for everything on a calculated weight and balance.

I took advantage of the tailwinds at 11,500 and then 9,500 the second day. At 50F rich of peak it sipped 8.5 gallons per hour. The injectors aren’t balanced for LOP operation. I saw 183 kts TAS, 150 kts indicated, 180-202 kts ground speed during the cruise portions of the trip.

RV-7, QB, IO-360 angle valve, 200 hp, Hartzel C/S prop, Day/Night VFR, 1114 lbs empty.

A word to the wise, no person let’s go of an airplane easily that they put so much time and effort into building and meticulously maintaining. Allow for some time to let the builder tell stories about their pride and joy, learn how the N number came to be, let them talk. You’ll learn a whole lot about your new airplane that is valuable. I’m grateful the builder did such a fantastic job and maintained it so well.

Along the way be prepared to talk with curious people who come out to say hi when landing for fuel. Take pictures. Stop and see friends. Enjoy that flying RV!

Last edited:
Prepping for departure.

Recommend visiting Marble Canyon.

Oklahoma

The Mississippi River

About to land at SC45.

Last edited:
Back