What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 baggage area

rcaligan

I'm New Here
Greetings all! A quick question from a new user:

Are there any modifications to the baggage area to increase the weight limit above 100 pounds? Thanks!

Plenty strong!

Yep, I have put my 180 lb frame all over that baggage area during the construction. Tough area, CG issues are the concern...Even that fragile cover that goes over the elev. push tube handles the roughest of walking/sitting/stepping/tools.........One comment though for all to watch out for. On our way home from OSH, we had about 100 lbs split between the baggage area and the rear seat next to Jim. I was in the pilot's seat, and a 200 lb. pilot almost set us on the tail when he stood on the step and pulled himself up. We had full fuel, and I imagine this would have been exagurated with less liquid gold, seeing it is all fwd of the spar. FWIW..
Glen

glenmthompson said:
Yep, I have put my 180 lb frame all over that baggage area during the construction. Tough area, CG issues are the concern...Even that fragile cover that goes over the elev. push tube handles the roughest of walking/sitting/stepping/tools.........One comment though for all to watch out for. On our way home from OSH, we had about 100 lbs split between the baggage area and the rear seat next to Jim. I was in the pilot's seat, and a 200 lb. pilot almost set us on the tail when he stood on the step and pulled himself up. We had full fuel, and I imagine this would have been exagurated with less liquid gold, seeing it is all fwd of the spar. FWIW..
Glen

Glen,
You got my attention. When i finally get my RV-10 finished I would love to haul four adults with some baggage.
Let's say I have four 180 lb adults with a total of 50 lbs of bags and almost full fuel. If the bags are stowed and the first two people in go to the back, will it sit on the tail? Especially if the third guy mounts the step?
John

Yepper...

Well, in 331JH, yep, this is the case....Jim in back, 100+ lbs cargo split between rear seat and cargo, me in front, and juan climbing on the step. She started to sit on her tail. I seem to remember too, during "heavy weight preflight taxi tests"( come on, we all did it! ) we did actually sit the plane on its tail when Brent got in...I am just gratefull that Brent has good reflexes! Please note also, N331JH has an empty cg only 1/2" aft of the fwd limit, so it is a pretty nose heavy plane to begin with.
Just a little care is all that is necessary. I observe this and mention only in passing, and am NOT worried/concerned/mad/disappointed.
Glen

interesting

i would be curious to know how likely the tipping scenario is. let's say you have full fuel, 100 lbs baggage, 2 x 180lb passengers sitting in the back seat, then a 3rd person on the step rail.

just running the numbers on a calculator, it looks like CG is slightly past aft-most design-CG. however, not sure what the arm for the rear axle is. from comparing pictures, it looks like that tipping point is certainly close and likely. having a person on each step would make things even worse.

does anyone have a moment arm measurement for the rear axle? maybe that is another reason pipers have one door!

Jae

It is the step that counts.

My friend broke the fiberglass rudder bottom when the back was loaded with two people and he had about 50 lbs in the bagage. I can't remember if both front people were loading at the same time or one was already seated and the other started loading.

The real question is what is the arm of the step.

Kent

Back