What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any interest in a Flap hinge fairing?

N2756C

RV9A builders - any interest in covering the exposed flap hinge/bolt area with a small fairing?

We've been toying with a new fiberglass mold for this part and created some samples. I'll test them on my aircraft in the next week or so and will post photos.

While the wings and fuselage of the RV9(a) are very aerodynamic, the exposed hinge area stands outs 'in the breeze'. Any ideas on how other builders have addressed this (if at all)?

We make parts for the windscreen and sliding canopy that fit the 9 that can be seen here: http://www.pilotlights.net/pilot_light_ecommerce_012.htm

I'll post some photos of our test parts tonight.

Robert

Intrest - Yes

Robert

If you could post some before and after speed numbers, I would be interested enough to at least checkout the product.

I'm interestred in flying cross country and would like any efficency advantage I can get as long as the price is in range.

Just one other thought do you think you will be offering a discont if I buy all farings as a set. IE windshield, Canopy, and hinge. That would make it more attractive to get the whole whammy.

Thanks.

I'm still early in the building stage but that would be interesting, if the price is right.

If I get only ½knot, I don't care... it's for the look!

Flap hinge fairing - RV9A

Here are a couple of shots of the fairing for the RV9A flap hinge. As you know, there are six (6) hinges.

Let me know if you guys have any interest and we can make some parts - I'm guessing it's about $150 plus shipping for a set of six (6). The parts are primed and need final trimming. I don't think we make them any cheaper given the labor.

I have no flight test data yet and can't even guess the impact on airspeed. I did test for clearance during retraction and extension of the flaps and see no problems.

Robert

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37380545@N07/3440755112/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37380545@N07/3440752846/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37380545@N07/3439935847/in/photostream/

(I can't seem to get Flikr photos to show up in the posting so I've pasted the links above)

R

Last edited:
Funny...

I was just fitting my flaps and the flap control rods yesterday and thought to myself while I was bolting on the flaps "gee, those hinges will look ugly" and wondered if there was any covers for them in the kit. Checking the plans I realized there weren't and was kind of disappointed. Talk about a timely post...count me in as someone who is interested.

Would they fit the aileron hinges on a -7? That would enlarge your market, might even work for the -6 at the same time.

Robert

Here are a couple of shots of the fairing for the RV9A flap hinge. As you know, there are six (6) hinges.

Let me know if you guys have any interest and we can make some parts - I'm guessing it's about $150 plus shipping for a set of six (6). The parts are primed and need final trimming. I don't think we make them any cheaper given the labor.

I have no flight test data yet and can't even guess the impact on airspeed. I did test for clearance during retraction and extension of the flaps and see no problems.

Robert

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37380545@N07/3440755112/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37380545@N07/3440752846/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37380545@N07/3439935847/in/photostream/

(I can't seem to get Flikr photos to show up in the posting so I've pasted the links above)

R
They look really good. When are you going to start production? How do you want payment? How are you attaching them to wing skin? Was thinking of making up a mold myself-but you've saved me the agro. Fuel drain fairings?
Mike H 9A/8A SOLD

Flap hinge fairing availability

Guys,

We can start making some and probably ship within two or three weeks. I have one set I can sell now. A second set was made but not primed.

The images I have show the trimmed part and I'll probably change how I trim mine so that more of the bolt area is covered. The parts we sell will be primed but not trimmed. This should give you the ability to fit them as you'd like. If you're still building, adding 3 or 4 nut plates to attach these is a good idea.

For anyone looking for our RV Windscreen and Canopy fairings, they're in stock and are $499 each with a $100 discount when you buy both. I can knock another $20 off when all three (windscreen, canopy and flap hinge) are purchased. By the way, the windscreen and canopy fit in the same 18x18x18 box saving freight (averages $55-$60 for most domestic residential addresses via UPS Ground).

Email me directly if you have additional questions at sales "at" pilotlights.net

Thanks,

Robert

Add me to the list

Good work Robert! (and good timing too)

I had been looking for something exactly like this and came up with nothing. I was thinking about rolling my own as an upgrade after first flight and before paint. Now that I have seen these, the plan has obviously changed. I am ready to take a set as soon as you can supply them.

My fuse kit is in town - delivery tomorrow - and I had been planning to start riveting on the bottom wing skins this evening. I guess that will have to wait. Judging by the pictures, the wait will be worth it.

On the speed issue, I would not expect any gain because the area of turbulence behind these fairings would surely produce at least as much drag as the bare hinges. We are talking pure cosmetics here (and who said there was anything wrong with that!). On the other hand, if there was a matching fairing on the flap section of the hinge that would move inside yours with reasonably small tollerances, then we would have a very aerodynamic combined assembly. Different left/right/centre versions would be needed. How about it?

Loman

Interesting idea

I like the idea of a matching piece on the flap that is tapered to fit inside the inner radius of the fuselage portion...

I think we need to work on this.

Any ideas on how builders will want to attach these parts? I understand some of the composite planes simply bond them down. For us, if the fairing covers the bolt and nut, it will need to be removable so nut plates are needed but it is a challenging spot to add them after the fact. Maybe rivnuts? but I have very little experience with them. Other ideas?

(My flight test will use 3M double sided tape so hopefully I'll still have all six attached when I land)

Robert

pretty cool, but even with the curved leading edge - how do you know you won't have more drag due to the wider opening on aft side? You might be faster without the fairing.

Updated information

All,

We're modifying the mold a little to make it fit better and be a little more symmetrical. We are also developing the "matching" part that would mount on the flap and have a radius that is just a tad narrower than the wing mounted part. When used together, the flap portion could be permanently fixed to the flap and the wing mounted part could be removable to service the hinge and bolt assembly.

More photos and details later. Builders can elect to buy just the six wing mounted parts or the complete set of 12 pieces.

We'll probably move forward to make them for the RV10 next (I'm building a 10).

I'll post updates as the new parts are produced over the next 2 weeks.

Maybe a larger version for the 10?

I know im in the 9 forum... but I thought I'd ask. The 10 uses the same type of flap, if you made some I'd definitely be in! :)

Fairings Update

All,

We're modifying the mold a little to make it fit better and be a little more symmetrical. We are also developing the "matching" part that would mount on the flap and have a radius that is just a tad narrower than the wing mounted part. When used together, the flap portion could be permanently fixed to the flap and the wing mounted part could be removable to service the hinge and bolt assembly.

More photos and details later. Builders can elect to buy just the six wing mounted parts or the complete set of 12 pieces.

Robert,
I'll take a set of 12 for my 9A when they are available. Let me know cost and how you prefer payment.
Mike H 9A/8A SOLD

Any News

All,

on the new designed flap hinge fairings? Getting ready to close up the outer lower skins and would prefer to use platenuts where I can to attach fairings. Still want the full set of 12 fairings.

Mike H 9A/8A - SOLD

Status

All - we've been modifying the molds and running some tests on these fairings. We just decided that the previous mold was too wide so we're streamlining the profile to better fit the wing mounted hinge bracket. Our goal is to make this fit nicely so that you don't necessarily need the matching flap portion and it just clears the flap attachment bolt.

Mounting can be via nutplate or rivnut or even using double sided tape. For the flap mounted fairing, we're streamlining this to ensure it matches the new profile of the matching wing mounted part.

Since these are handmade molds and parts, we're still working with them to find the best combination of materials to make the part small, light and with a thin profile.

I should have new photos by the end of this coming weekend and I'll post them here.

Thanks for everyone's interest in this project.

What's happened to

the flap fairings that was being 'tweeked'? Still interested if you ever get them into production. It's been 2 months since your last posting.:confused:

Mike H 9A/8A SOLD

Back