What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting an RV-10 Questions

Jimd

Well Known Member
I acquired an RV-10 tail kit and it is missing several parts.

For instance, the E-910 elevator stiffeners. I have the material to make these but don't see the material call out specifying the thickness. If I am missing something I'd be happy to have someone point me to the specs.

I thought maybe I'd find it on the vans website when I searched the part number but it only states the part number and cost.

If I had even one of these, I'd just measure it and keep going.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

I have no idea on the thickness. My empennage kit came with these stiffener plates which were labeled as E-910, so I used the parts provided. Since my empennage was completed more than a year ago, I don't have access to be able to measure them.

You should probably give Van's a call on Monday to ask about the material and thickness. That or purchase the parts from them.

Sorry I can't answer your question.

If you still need the thickness, .062 I just riveted them to the spar yesterday so I had to get creative to measure them.

Most of the time, it is easier just to order replacement parts off Van's web site. Just search for the part number or browse "The List" to find the appropriate part number.

For those of us east of the Mississippi, shipping parts via Priority Mail is both the least expensive and quickest delivery. With that said, there is no inexpensive way to ship the larger parts, especially if they have to be created.

Most of the time, it is easier just to order replacement parts off Van's web site. Just search for the part number or browse "The List" to find the appropriate part number.

For those of us east of the Mississippi, shipping parts via Priority Mail is both the least expensive and quickest delivery. With that said, there is no inexpensive way to ship the larger parts, especially if they have to be created.

Not to hijack the thread....but, speaking of shipping large parts, has anyone had to ship the center wing spar separately? I purchased a fuse kit from a 3rd party and it does not have the center section (and I have not ordered wings yet). I emailed vans and they gave me a price, yet when I asked about shipping they got confused and thought I wanted the cabin top shipped separately. I have no idea how the lost in translation occurred! I assume the center spar can still ship ups ground without crating????

I just haven't followed up with vans as I am just finishing the elevators and don't have a need to spend the 1400$ today for a dust collection device.

Thickness

Thanks for the replies!

I determined the thickness by using their rivet callout length and deduced that the part was .060" and made them from scrap that I had from the RV6.

I had them riveted on about on about an hour after I started the thread so you can see that ordering these parts was not going to happen in this particular instance. I have since placed an order for a LOT of other parts that are missing from the kit I acquired. Flat stock like these parts was just too simple for an old school builder, but I don't have a problem with most of the more complicated or time consuming parts.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Jim

Back