What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail cone frames fluting

tsnevo

Hello all
Looing at step 04, page 02.
I am not sure to what extent the fluting should be and what is the expected results (I understand the technique and principle).
Thank you
Tsachy Nevo.:confused:

They should be fluted so they will lay flat on your work surface. You?re removing the bow in them.

As well as getting them flat I think the light bulb coming on moment ;-) for me was later on the kit which was aligning the holes. If you look at the tail cone skin obviously the holes are in a straight line. If you pick up the frame and look down the line of holes you are going to rivet the skin to you will see they are not in a straight-line. If you watch the holes as you gently flute you will pull them into a straight-line.

I'm sure you just cleco the frames to the skin as they are pretty thin but you will have tensions in the structure.

Also remember that the tailcone is a conic form. The flanges of the frames are not oriented exactly 90 degrees to the skins -- close, but the flanges should be tweaked somewhat to lay flat against the angled skins.

Back