What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cracks in Engine mount PC

prkaye

Well Known Member
Doing my annual recently I noticed these cracks in the Engine Mount finish... I assume these cracks are only in the Powder Coat, but I thought I'd post them here for opinions... should I be worried about these, or do anything specific about them?
t6axc2.jpg

They will need to be cleaned up for painting and while you are at it put some dye on it to check for cracks. Most of them look like paint cracks but you need to take a closer look, especially at the lower one extending from the gusset.

To verify that the cracks are only in the paint/powder-coat, do you recommend that I chip/peel away the coating around those cracks to get a closer look underneath?

A good quality paint thinner should resolve the powder coat. Use proper personal protection, gloves mask etc, and dampen the powder coat with the thinner. it will not take too many applications before the coating will wipe right off. Lacquer thinner used to work although with new paints I am not sure if you can still get it.
Check with a local paint supply house, car quest, etc for products.
It just looks like flaking powder coat but as it is no longer offering any surface protection from rust you should clean it off, check for cracks and repaint the local area.

This issue is typically caused by poor prep prior to the application of the powder coat. You may find some surface corrosion under there so treat accordingly after you strip it for inspection. I have found over the years that Vans vendor(s) seem to be a bit hit and miss in this regard. This is one of the worst I have seen.
Poor prep when painting "wet" typically shows up during the process. With powder coating, it just bridges over and makes it appear to be sound when it may not be.

any recommendations for what kind of paint to use on this after stripping/cleaning?

The Van's powdercoat color is a stock color, and you can get it in spray cans. I don't have the number handy, but you can find it via a search here.

Unless You're Removing the Engine...

Spray painting may not give you very good coverage. Clean to bare metal, inspect, and brush on a high quality anti-corrosion paint. I'd rather deal with a few brush marks than be unsure if everything was properly covered.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Powder Coat

Bob and Jay are CORRECT there is rust under that PLASTIC coating. When it is that much rust its actually ripping the powder coat off. It is usually caused by a break in the coating like the adel clamp. Could be in other places too? Remove blast inspect refinish or replace. Lot of weight and power out there to not trust it.

Back