What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspection and check ride in Alberta

riobison

Well Known Member
Hello

Is there anyone in the Red Deer or Calgary area that could help me with a pre purchase inspection on an Rv4 or a 6?

As well for insurance reasons is there someone in the same area qualified to check a guy out on the plane?

Thanks

Tim

Jack Dueck Eaa Member

Jack Dueck is an EAA member/teacher who flies out of High River Alberta. He would be a good guy to ask.

"Jack is a contributing member of the EAA and is the current President of the Chapter. He is an EAA Technical Councellor and instructs SportAir Workshops all over Canada.

Jack Dueck has been a homebuilding enthusiast throughout his aviation career, now spanning fifty years. Jack restored a CF-PII, an Aeronca Chief, 11AC, a Luscombe, then "slow built" a Van's RV4 that flew in 1999. "

http://www.eaahighriver.org/members.htm

Ralph

You could try Ralph Inkster for the pre-buy, he runs Custom Aircrafters out of CYBW.
Email or PM me and I'll send you his contact info.
(Jack is great too...)

Last edited:
Pre Purchase

I did not have a positive experience with Ralph Inkster and the work that was completed on my airplane.

Of course, you may (and I hope others do) have a different experience.

Paul
RV-8

Different experience

I did not have a positive experience with Ralph Inkster and the work that was completed on my airplane.

Of course, you may (and I hope others do) have a different experience.

Paul
RV-8

Sorry it didn't work out for you Paul.

I've had some dealings with Ralph at Springbank. I don't know what your experience encompassed, but I recommend him, especially if you're like me... wanting to do your own work but would like some experienced support.

At any one time, he has multiple RV's in his hangar at various stages. He's worked on dozens of RV's. Right now I believe he has a 10 that has been sitting dormant for awhile, a 6 he's building himself, a 7 that has the engine mounted and currently being wired, a 6A that was a wreck after the hangar it was in collapsed in a windstorm and he's rebuilding, his personal 6, and transient planes for annuals, mods, etc. He's also done maintenance and mods on Rockets.

He is capable of more than vanilla maintenance. He's done some very interesting things such as modifying an RV to a "round tail", to give it an antique look. Unfortunately, it is his airplane and he's too busy working on others so it isn't flying yet. I look forward to the reports when it happens.

He's an RV flyer. He has a share in a 7A and has a 6 that was neglected and he brought back to life.

He brought an Egg Subaru to life after the builder/owner was in over their head, largely figuring out how to make things work firewall forward himself. There are posts with vids on here somewhere. Last report is that it is still doing well. Don't know the hours.

I've never been turned down to borrow a tool, advice on a tricky situation, or just good discussion about RV's.

Again, sorry your experience didn't work out. For others out there, visit and see.

Insurance?

Tim: I have never heard of insurance implications regarding or requiring a pre-buy inspection? Is that a Canadian thing?

Thanks.

Insurance reasons

Tim: I have never heard of insurance implications regarding or requiring a pre-buy inspection? Is that a Canadian thing?

Thanks.

I believe he meant that he will be requiring a check out in the airplane after purchase to meet insurance requirements.

Yes, that is correct on the check ride for insurance requirements.

Does anyone know if in this day and age if the insurance companies will allow a person to take the In Motion off for several months at a time?

Such as when I?m out of the country working.

Thanks

Tim

I can't say so with absolute certainty, but in the past I have been able to make whatever changes I wanted during the policy year (adding, subtracting insured pilots, suspending the policy while the plane was on a leaseback, etc) with just a phone call to the broker. I would think you could get a definitive answer with a phone call to any of the insurers that people have mentioned in this thread. From personal experience, I know you could with a call to Dave Fitzpatrick and his crew at Air 1.

Back