What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spark advance

N733JJ

Well Known Member
The Electroair Ignition went bad on me last summer on my way to OSH. Pre-ignition forced me down. Got some parts at OSH to,swap,out to get me home then ordered a new Electroair system. The engine runs strong and smooth but CHTs have continued use to run very high. I suspected my high CHTs were the result of the ignition firing too early and talked to Electroair about it. They thought it was fine but swapped it with another for me. Problems have continued.

Did some experimenting today and am now 95% convinced the problem is my ignition. When I revert to magneto only or turn off the advance on the Electroair temps drop about 30 degrees. Rough air today prevented me from getting solid data, I will try again on Monday and show it to Electroair. Hopefully, I can just dial back the advance and be on my way.

Does anyone have data on the spark advance they are getting with an Electroair or any other ignition system?

Scott A Jordan
N733JJ

Normal OPS with advance

Hey Scott:

Lean ?er out a bit to bring the CHT?s down a bit. Ignition advance allows this change but keeps power levels about the same. Seems to me that you are working the engine in it?s Best Power mode. Others may chime in, but that is close to the Red Box area.

Please report back with results!

You did set the MTH with the engine at TDC correct, those folks used to working with mags have made the mistake of setting them up with the engine at 25 deg.

The higher than normal CHTs are likely due to the spark advanced more than you had before. Assuming that you copied your advance tables from the previous installation or the system has fixed tables, it is likely that you have set TDC a few degrees advanced this time from what you had before.

Back