What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL-39 GPS Data?

Phil

Well Known Member
I am in the market for a new iPad and if I can get away without having to buy a cell-enabled version for GPS, that would be awesome.

Does anyone know if a GDL-39 provides the GPS data to Foreflight or Garmin Pilot similar to the bad elf or other external GPS?

My current iPad is cell enabled, so I can?t tell if it?s being assisted by the 39 or not.

Thanks,
Phil

The GDL 39 (or 39 3D, GDL 51/52) can output GPS data to any Garmin portable device or Garmin Pilot app. I am not clear as to whether it works with any third party apps. It might.

This same concept works both ways. A Garmin portable device or G3X flight deck can send its GPS position information to the GDL. In this configuration the GDL doesn't need a view of the horizon or an external antenna for GPS data. Handy for a hidden installation.

In so far as the iPad purchase I suggest the cellular version if only because it has an internal GPS. Can't have too many backups. I bought my 4G iPad Mini without a cellular data plan and haven't had a need to activate it. I do use the unit "stand alone" on occasion and appreciate the built-in GPS. I only use the iPad for flight planning and in cockpit with Pilot, iFly and FlyQ EFB. I don't use it for internet, email etc. If you ever wanted to activate a data plan it can work in the air in many places at lower altitudes so that could be another reason to get the cellular version. I ferried a Cub from Florida to Texas with my Mini using its internal GPS. Also as long as I stayed over Interstate 10 I had data service with Verizon on my Android smartphone.

Jim

Last edited:
Yes.

I know that the I-Pad Air two dose. We had a re-boot of the GDU on a trip up from Houston not long ago. The I-Pad kept talking to the GDL-39R, While I did the trouble shooting and reboot. Just what we found on these two units.
Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

...I am not clear as to whether it works with any third party apps. It might...
Jim

My GDL 39R communicates with Foreflight with no problems for traffic and weather.

I can't confirm that the GDL 39 3D will pass attitude information along. In my installation, Foreflight gets that from my G3x.

Back