What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alaska in June

mikerkba

Well Known Member
I'm planning a trip in my RV7A to central Alaska, overflying Canada, to Anchorage, via Bellingham, WA (area), Ketchican, Juneau, and Anchorage. Departing June 23, or soon thereafter based on weather. My ultimate turnaround point is Deadhorse, on the north slope. I've flown in Alaska and, its something wonderful that you'll never regret. I have not flown TO Alaska though.

Safety in numbers and more fun in groups, so hopefully, this trip and timing might work out for some others too. I'm going up solo, so can carry some gear. As other groups have done, once in Alaska we might break up into solos or two-ships. But, hopefully the group is interested in getting as far as Anchorage together.

There is some nasty terrain along the way to to Ketchican, overflying Canada. Waiting for very good weather is part of the deal to minimize risks. Its 518 miles direct, and varies to 538 to 546 by common IFR routing. These routes involve ADIZ penetration, so 12" registration numbers are required, as is the Canadian experimental aircraft validation letter (downloadable, no fee, no signatures: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/maintenance-regsdocs-validation-2948.htm). You don't need a 406 ELT for Canada (overflight or land), but you'll want an epirb/PLB. And maybe a SPOT. In any event, you'll want to be well equipped for an unexpected remote landing in hostile terrain and dangerous overnight weather.

You might want to fly more inland, and endure the US and Canada customs processes, Canadian regulatory requirements, and associated delays and fees. My plan is to overfly so as to avoid the bureaucracy. Even so, meeting up in Ketchican for the remainder to Anchorage would be great. I'm digging into routing and timing. PM me if this might be of interest to you.

Mike

Alaska trip

Just a invite we have a place at Ninilcik on the kenai pen.next to the airport have extra room and couple fishing boats and wheels and I love to fish so keep this location in mind.

Mike,

A number of us are planning on going up there right after OSH this summer. It looks like it will be a three week trip.

Our hope is to return down the west cost, visit Van's and then split off for home.

Let me know, if you would like to delay your trip and join us.

I'll post here again in case anybody missed the previous thread. I'm sure that most pilots evaluate all of their risks and use good judgment. There are some that do less than others. Excellent pilots die all the time here.

Flying in Alaska is incredible. I've flown all over the lower 48. Alaska is unlike anywhere else. You will have a lot fewer services available to you here. Get away from Anchorage or Fairbanks, and you are truly on your own. Weather prediction is worse here than I have seen anywhere else. But it is a beautiful place to fly. You'll see incredible scenery, glaciers, mountains, wildlife, etc. There's a lot of cool restaurants and lodges that are fly-in only. You will not regret coming here to fly, as long as you are very cautious.

I fly here for a living. In my personal opinion, the worst part of the state to fly in, is the Alaska Archipelago and the west coast of Canada. If you've never been out there before, it is very rugged and very remote. I personally believe that it's not worth the risk to fly through there in a single engine plane. Even one that is as reliable and as strong as an RV. If you have a problem and have to put it down out there somewhere, you can choose to crash into mountainous terrain that is full or trees and rocks, or the water. That water is extremely cold, year round. If you go in that water, you will die in a matter of minutes. If you lose your engine out there, it will probably cost you your life. You can crash in most places in the lower 48 and limp to help or at least call for help before you go in. Here, there might not be anybody to hear you on your radio and certainly nobody that can come rescue you in a reasonable amount of time. People survive crashes here and die of exposure all the time. Even in the summer.

People fly up and down the Archipelago all the time in single engine planes and do just fine. All I'm trying to convey to anybody that wants to do it, is to be prepared. I'd make sure my plane is in tip top shape. I'd also bring some good survival gear. If you go down and live through it, plan to stay a few days. Know how to build a shelter and start a fire in wet conditions. It's cold and wet out there, even in the summer. 40 to 50 degrees. Maybe into the 60s on a good day. It's wet too. I fly with an ACR Electronics personal locator beacon (PLB) and I highly recommend one of those over a SPOT. A friend of mine used a PLB a few months ago when he got wet on Kodiak Island and got hypothermic. The Coast Guard was there in less than two hours to pick him up and it saved his life. I wouldn't count on an ELT alone, in Alaska. I fly with my PLB on my person any time I go up. It sends GPS coordinates to a satellite just like a SPOT does. The ACR is a much better product than a SPOT in my opinion. It doesn't have some of the frills like SPOT does, but when it comes to my life, I'd trust my ACR over a SPOT any day.

So, if you want to fly up the Archipelago, I say you should go for it. Just be ready for anything. Several people died out in the Archipelago last year. This is just advice from somebody that lives and flies here on a regular basis. Personally, it's too much risk for my taste. But people do it all the time. Flying in Alaska will humble you. There are a LOT of unique ways to die here.

Also, June is an excellent choice for a time to come up here! In the years I've been here, June has always proven to be the best, weather wise. April pretty much sucks. Forget April. By the end of May, it's getting pretty nice. Temps in the upper 60s by then. June is usually fantastic! You're still a bit early for salmon fishing but still plenty of great flying weather. July is good too but it might be getting a little rainy. It starts cooling down in August and it's usually a little wetter in August from what I've seen.

If you come into Anchorage, Merrill field is the busiest GA airport in the country from what I hear. They have campsites right on the field and you can camp with your plane. I don't know anybody that actually does that, but you can. It's pretty noisy around there. Homer and Valdez are cool locations to fly into. Talkeetna is about 65 miles north of here. It's a neat little town and you can walk to the hotels and restaurants from the airport. It's where most Mt. McKinley tours fly out of. There's also the Skwentna roadhouse. It's a fly in only lodge about 40 miles WSW of Talkeetna. 60 miles or so from Merrill Field. They have a restaurant and do all sorts of guided fishing and hunting trips if that's your thing.

If you're planning on flying to Deadhorse, I'd recommend you go to Barrow instead. Barrow is the furthest north town in the USA and not much further than flying to Deadhorse. I'm going to try and fly to Barrow in June or July sometime. I've never actually been to Barrow. You will need an airplane to get there. You can drive to Deadhorse but it's all oil field junk. You can't get out to the water if that's what you want to do. In Barrow, strip down to your underwear and go jump in the Arctic Ocean! Join the Polar Bear Club. Pretty much all of those little towns are real little dumps. I wouldn't plan on staying if you can get away with it. Barrow is probably okay but I'm sure it's not very nice.

KC10Chief is right about marginal weather along the coast route. I have flown ketchikan in July and it is not unusual for 1000 foot ceilings or less in the good part of the year. Helps the safety level if you are IFR.

The RV's are excellent climbers which can save your life, and they are fast to take advantage of good weather. I love mine. Not so good for off airport landings.
If you are VFR then plan an extra week for waiting out weather when necessary. The trip is done by many annually. I don't blame you for passing up on the gov. headache portion. Have fun. Alaska is great and it is my retirement home. Take a PLB and a gun on your person for if you must make an off airport landing. You may not be able to pull your luggage out.
Have good survival gear.
3 additional issues if you go down in CAN. or AK:
1) you want to get found (PLB on your person)
2) You don't want to die from exposure! I did die with in 35 minutes in water, my heart stopped. Have a good coat on top of the cargo cover to grab in an emergency or off airport evac. Be serious on this. Help is awhile.
3) Have gun on your person in an emergency or off airport evac.(Predators)

A gun isn't a bad idea. I fly with a Mossberg 500 Breacher. It's a short, pistol grip 12ga with a 18.5" barrel. You sure don't want to end up in Canage with a gun. Canadians hate guns! HA!

There are definitely a lot of bears in that part of the state. However, after living here and seeing a lot of bears, I feel more comfortable with bear spray than a gun. A couple years ago, I had to put together a wildlife safety presentation for new people to the base. I did a lot of research and I've talked to a lot of game wardens and wildlife experts here. One guy, who handles problem bears in the city and surrounding towns, says he'd take bear spray any day over a gun and he's been doing it for 35 years. He said he carries both spray and a gun and has been charged many times. He told me that no bear has ever come past the cloud of bear spray he laid down. The bear spray is painful to the bears and they usually high tail it. I go hiking here a lot and never carry a gun. I have a .44 mag but it's pretty dang heavy. I've come across a lot of bears while out hiking and have never had a problem. Pretty much every bear I've ever seen here, has run away as soon as it saw me coming.

When I fly, I take the 12ga. I do take a box of slugs but I take a few boxes of bird shot. I am too lazy to try and trap something if I found myself in a survival situation. I'd rather just shoot a rabbit or a ptarmigan or something. A ptarmigan is the Alaska state bird. It's gotta be one of the dumbest animals alive today. You can pretty much walk right up to them and shoot them.

Of course, all of this stuff adds weight. I don't think a gun is really necessary, especially in the summer. I fly with it because I have it. I don't know if I'd buy one just for flying on a vacation up here. Here's the gun I have. I paid around $350 for it at Wally World.

500%2BBreacher.jpg

Alaska RV trip from lower 48:
Further on the guns issue. Handguns are a no go in Canada.
KC10Chief above identifies his choice as a pump shotgun. I will say for the trip up Canada to AK the shotgun is the best choice of guns, backed with slugs for ammo. This is what AK state police use for their off airport landings. Also, I support KC10Chief's words on the Bear spray. It is very effective.

Consider two issues with guns/bear spray for a RV trip up Canada into AK:

1) shotgun and ammo must be declared and approved at POI to Canada.

2) bear spray, (oleo capsicum) must be secured so it will survive turbulance as well as a crash landing. if any deploys in flight, good luck.

Either one of these or both are likely your best of the many choices out there.

Personally, I use the shotgun with slugs as my flying survival Option due to the facts that I could also use it to get food if needed, (a few rounds of birdshot) and if i were injured and bleeding with the bear smelling it and remembering even if bear spray was deployed when it approached. Bears are trying to survive too.

I will likely stop the biggest bear with the shotgun where I may run out of bear spray before help arrives. Bear spray does not hurt a bear. Bears are unpredictable and can be surprising and that is another subject. Survival is mostly a mental game and just having the shotgun with me will help with confidence to survive.

Don't forget your personal locating becon, PLB, so this part of your survival will not be needed because you will be rescued.

On a RV trip to AK there is alot of hostile territory to land on if forced. be prepared. Flying with other planes is ideal. Have fun. It is worth it.

That's why I fly with both! Spray with the left hand, shoot with the right! :D Good call on securing the bear spray. I've never actually thought of that. Mine has a safety clip on it, but I usually just stuff that in my survival bag which gets stuffed in the back of the plane somewhere. It would most definitely suck if it went off in flight for some reason. I've been sprayed with normal pepper spray before (training). It was just a tiny bit of it too and it was a terrible experience. No way I could have flown a plane like that. Bear spray is a lot more concentrated. Yikes!

A friend of mine, the same friend who was rescued off of Kodiak thanks to his PLB, was out camping this past summer with his family. He has a wife and five kids. They were driving in their RV (camper type RV :D) and somehow, the youngest kid got hold of their can of bear spray and hosed down the entire RV while he was driving! He said it was about the most agonizing thing ever. Not to mention all of the screaming and freaking out in the back of the RV. He managed to get it to the side of the road, barely. They couldn't get near it for an hour. It would be bad news in an airplane! :eek:

Also, I've dealt with Canadian customs several times. It's hit or miss on the hassle you get. I've never flown through, but I know there are some fees for flying. If you want to bring a gun, that can be done too. You have to declare it ahead of time and I believe that there is a fee for that too. $50, I think? They dislike hand guns a lot more than a shotgun. I've come into Canada before and was on my way after only a few questions. I drove up last June and dealt with the worst customs people ever. It was like they went out of their way to be rude, disrespectful and just plain mean. That was just to the east of Glacier National Park. I was there for over four hours while they tore through my truck and everything I had with me. I got everything but the full cavity search. It was a bad experience. I've been across at other places and they were very pleasant and hassle free. I think that if you go through a busier place, you'll get less hassle. There's lots of beautiful country out there too. Banff National Park which is on the border between Alberta and BC, is incredible. I'd love to fly through Canada and fly the Alaska Highway route. I have a friend that is getting ready to move from here to Georgia in a few months. He's going to fly his Cessna 170 down there when he goes. I know he's been looking into the fees and things you need to do to fly through Canada. I'll see what he knows.

Alaska tips

Unlike KC10 chief, I don't fly up here as much as he does. I do get arround a bit with work though (ERA Alaska/ Hagelands) One of the neatest recources I have seen is this (weather cams)http://avcams.faa.gov/index.php If you have radio comunication, ATC will it pull up and tell you what they see. Another thing to get is this. (Alaska Supplement)
http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...tcatalog/supplementalcharts/supplementalaska/
Village life is realy different. The issues faced can be a real heart breaker, however I don't think you will find anyone more kind and genuine if that's what YOU are about. I was walking about a mile to work on day in Kipnuk doing an aircraft recovery out in the open. Some guy pulled up and stopped next to me on a snowmachine. I hopped on and he dropped me off at the airplane. He turned and smiled, off he went. Don't think that I ever saw him before, or since. If you can, bring fuel or steam wood (firewood for a sauna) to the villages, be playfull and genuinely helpfull, as resorces out there are hard to come by. Front yards are full of spare parts
Guns and pepper spray (some bears like their tourist seasoned!:rolleyes:) have been mentioned. If you are travelling with someone, you only have to run faster than them, not the bear;)Also bring bug dope, netted hat, fishing tackle sleeping bag. Be aware that bears can't run down hill. Most fatal hypothermia cases are between 30 and 50 degrees, it's the wet, freezing temperatures are easier to keep dry.
Someone else on the forum PM'ed me for info, and I am putiing together a list of O.K/not O.K places to stay off the road system. For places to stay on the road system, the sooner you make reservations the better, as the "boat people" are filling up beds fast. Let me know and I'll forward what I find out

There was a post either here or somewhere else about a helicopter that went down (several lives lost) because a can of bear spray went off inside. If I were taking spray, I would build a mount inside one of the wing inspection covers and keep it in there. I know, not very accessible, but I certainly wouldn't want that stuff going off in the cockpit either inflight or afterward. I don't see any easy place to keep the stuff inside an RV.

AOPA has a link to the Canadian survival equipment list, which is a good starting point.

Canadian customs will absolutely not allow a handgun, except for special shooting competitions and a few other odd circumstances. Read the info on barrel length before you buy something that might cause headaches at customs.

I agree, flying over the Rockies around Banff/Jasper is spectacular, but can be just as unforgiving as the coast. Link to our trip in 2010:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60819

greg

Aah, yes. I forgot about the weather cams! It's an excellent resource for information. There's a couple of apps out there for the iPad and iPhone for the weather cams as well. They're not as good as the website though and don't work if you're out of cell range! I always check out the weather cams if I'm going to venture outside the Anchorage / Mat-Su valley area.

Putting your bear spray in an access panel on the wing isn't a bad idea if you can do it. You're obviously not going to need it inside the plane. The Alaska sup is excellent as well. I have an app on my iPad that is excellent for flying here or anywhere for that matter. It's called WingX Pro7. I keep my iPad on my leg with an iPad knee board. Keeps me from having to hassle with a bunch of charts and the sup in the airplane.

Flying From lower 48 to AK

I've been lurking on this site for quite some time and this is my first post. What you are proposing is something that I have a fair amount of experience with and I live in and fly out of Anchorage. I hope I don?t lose anyone because of the length of this reply but I hope to debunk some of the information posted as "facts" that you may find on this or other forums. So here's my 2 cents on the topic:

First of all, the route you are looking at is totally feasible. It?s done fairly often and with great success. With that said, however, there are several routes to take and the one you are planning is at the bottom of my list of favorites. I've flown back and forth into Canada many times using several airports of entry with no issues on either side of the border from customs officials. I've never been delayed more than an hour and usually not more than 30 minutes. Driving through a border crossing and flying to an airport of entry should not be compared as being a similar experience.

My hangarmate took the route that you are proposing with his Glastar in late last summer and his planned 2 day trip took him 8 days because of weather. When behind on a (self-imposed) schedule, often people take bigger risks than they normally would when flying locally. For one leg, it looked like the weather was breaking up so he took the chance to set off but had to land in Cordova an hour later with a 200 ft ceiling and a wall of unforecasted fog between there and Whittier. At risk of offending professional meteorologists, weather predictions are notoriously marginal up here. For example, 4 days ago we were supposed to get high clouds with possible snow showers (24 hour accumulations of 1 to 3 inches possible.) We ended up with 800 ft ceilings and 14 to 20 inches, depending on your proximity to the mountains.

Most people underestimate the dramatic pressure system differential that you can often get between the Anchorage bowl and Prince William Sound. Those pressures try to equalize through mountain passes and very high winds across the mountains with moderate to severe turbulence result. 80+ mph wind along Turnagain arm is fairly common any time of year. I only attempt VFR flight from Anchorage to Southeastern Alaska under ideal conditions. Turbulence in the Chugach Mountain Range can take the fun out of any pleasure flight even on decent VFR days and make it downright dangerous. Your chances of experiencing these kinds of winds along the interior route are much lower.

When I plan a trip on a limited schedule I prefer the Alcan route or the trench. Though sparsely populated by lower 48 standards, you can still find fuel, lodging, and services all along the way if the weather drops and the views are beyond spectacular. There are also many weather reporting stations and some weather cameras all along the route. US Customs at Northway and Canadian Customs at Whitehorse have always been prompt and efficient as long as they know you are coming. The eAPIS system has improved and is dirt simple to use. The downside is trying to find internet access in remote locations to flie the eAPIS report. There's no need to increase your risk over a fear of the bureaucracy. The other advantage is 12" letters won?t be required since you will not be penetrating an ADIZ. The other major benefit (most important IMHO) is always having an emergency landing strip beneath you with the lightly traveled highways, something that you will not have if you choose the coastal route.

I've never been asked to produce the letter from Transport Canada and the FAA for flying in an experimental aircraft by any customs official in either country. I have it, but I've never been asked for it. They always want the CofA, CofR, proof of insurance and a customs declarations form. US Customs will also require a passport and likely your pilot license (sometimes). They will also require you to purchase a $25 annual entry sticker from them. This is only required once per calendar year so, if you already have one, you don?t need to buy another. I've flown in and through Canada for years and have never been charged a fee for flying there. Some of the larger city airports may charge a landing or parking fees but most do not for airplanes less than 5000 pounds registered gross. Even then, many waive their fees if you buy gas.

If you carry a firearm, like others on here, I recommend a 12 gauge with slugs and bird shot for reasons already well explained. When I fly into Canada they want a $25 registration fee for the gun but I've never had an issue otherwise. I don't have it loaded and I put a trigger lock on it. The main thing is don't try to get away with not declaring it. Trouble will undoubtedly follow. Just having it out of sight makes everyone happy. http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html . Remember that it's an emergency item. You're not exactly planning to fly over Afghanistan where you will need it immediately after an emergency landing anyway. Up here the saying is your survival kit is what you're wearing on your person. What's in the plane is camping gear. Bear Spray is a definite NO! in my survival kit and NEVER!!! inside the aircraft. Even a leaking can inside an enclosed area will incapacitate a pilot. I've seen the trouble a few drops can cause inside of a 12 pax van, let alone an RV. If I fly a friend to a remote location for hiking or fishing I insist that any bear spray be duct taped to the outside of the plane.

I know many people that have done exactly what you propose, but, for a single engine VFR pleasure flight, the lower risk option is my choice every time now. In a joint effort to assist pilots on both sides of the border, AOPA and COPA published a border crossing document to dispel the many myths and misinformation on the topic. I have more information on flying through Canada to the lower 48 and feel free to PM me if you think that I may be of some assistance to you in your planning process. Whatever route you decide on will be beautiful, plan it well and always have a plan B.

Alaska Trip

Please don't believe everything KC10 is telling you!! I have lived in Alaska 32 years and have been all over this state. Been flying for 20 years. I have made the trips to the lower 48 in my plane a dozen times. I have camped and done may landings on beaches gravel bars, ridges ect.
First he refers to Southeast Alaska or the Panhandle to Archipelago! Nobody who is a long time Alaskan calls it that!
Second he does not know SE Alaska weather. Some of there best weather is April. May and June. Look it up and you will see it is the least amount of rain during these months! If there ever is a time to travel in SE Alsaka it is then!
Once you past Icy straight heading for cordova there is lots of emergency landing areas.
Bear spray! Don't get me started. Who in there right mind would carry bear spray in the cockpit area!! There are many bear attacks that bear spray didn't even phase the bear!
A gun or bear spray is not going to save you in a crash survival situation.

Just be smart, plan well and have a fantastic trip up the Southeast Alaska route.

This is my Alaska flying diary --- www.chinesepilots.com

Both trips were made solo from Southern California.

I'm planning another trip in June 2012 (or July) in a newly built RV-7.

By the way, this is my fist post in this wonderful web site, really enjoyed learning from all of you.

Are you trying to say the bear spray just makes bears mad:D

Probably just adds some flavor / seasoning. :p

I've heard many cases of bear spray in buses, cars, airplanes, trains that cause havoc and no case of the stuff actually working on a bear. One particular incident drove all the tourists on a bus in Denali National Park out of the bus. They had to wait several hours in bear country for another bus to come pick them up.

This is my Alaska flying diary --- www.chinesepilots.com

Both trips were made solo from Southern California.

I'm planning another trip in June 2012 (or July) in a newly built RV-7.

By the way, this is my fist post in this wonderful web site, really enjoyed learning from all of you.

Jayyau,

Welcome to VAF. I will be heading north from Reno to near Whitehorse sometime in late June if you would like to coordinate flying. If so, send me a PM.

Greg
Greg

Please don't believe everything KC10 is telling you!! I have lived in Alaska 32 years and have been all over this state. Been flying for 20 years. I have made the trips to the lower 48 in my plane a dozen times. I have camped and done may landings on beaches gravel bars, ridges ect.
First he refers to Southeast Alaska or the Panhandle to Archipelago! Nobody who is a long time Alaskan calls it that!

KC10chief actually called it Alaska Archipelago. I knew what he was talking about when I looked at my map on the wall...it said Alexander Archipelago. Here is a copy and paste for those interested:

The Alexander Archipelago is a 300 miles (500*km) long archipelago, or group of islands, of North America off the southeastern coast of Alaska. It contains about 1,100 islands, which are the tops of the submerged coastal mountains
that rise steeply from the Pacific Ocean. Deep channels and fjords separate the
islands and cut them off from the mainland.

We are planning an Alaska trip in 2013. We all can learn something from everyone on here and we try to be polite. I appreciate your input and welcome you to VAF.

Alaska, with overflight of Canada

Jay: I have a tentative plan to depart the US from Bellingham/KBLI on June 23 or 24, weather dependent of course. The initial destination is Ketchican/PAKT to avoid the costs and hassles of international customs. The direct route (518 nm) is rugged (terrain, limited weather reporting, no emergency facilities), even without weather at issue. So I am looking at a eastward bend to the route staying nearer to some airport or roads that stays within my range/proper reserves.

My northbound trip (ultimately to Fairbanks) is solo and I'm hoping to have another plane or two in the flight. My decision date in May 15, based on some work requirements. Maybe the several of VAF pilots that are contemplating a trip can compare notes in the coming months, and perhaps take part of the trip together.

Alaska trip -- June (or July) 2012

Mike,

This is the same route I'm planning for this summer trip -- from Bellingham direct to Ketchican, my departure date is totally depends on the Wx. I'm very flexible with the time.

I finished my 7 in Aug. 2011, have flown 56 hours so far, but haven't tried any leg more than 320 nm, I have concern with 518 nm leg, what's your best advise to manage the fuel for this leg?

Jay
N28JY RV-7 (A/W 8/2011, 56TT)
O-360, Hartzell C/S,
Skyview, Garmin 430, Digiflight II VSGV A/P.

Last edited:
fuel capacity/ fuel management.

Jay:

You are right on the money: cant make this trip with time pressure. And, even more than the usual long cross country, unexpected overnights are to be expected.

What is your fuel capacity? How much fuel did you burn on the 320 mile trip? Do you have any fuel flow information on board that is calibrated to report accurately when compared to your actual refuelings? What do you confidently know about your fuel burn rate? It does take a few good long trips to get comfortable with prediction, so I understand the uneasiness. I flight plan conservatively in my 180HP RV, rounding all the numbers towards safety. Flight planning is done with "safe" numbers. Before I was experimenting with LOP engine operations, I used the following inputs and formula which might be helpful if you supply your own figures.

Cruise speed: 160KTAS planned, actual 170KTAS
Fuel burn 9.0 cruise/11.0 climb, actual is 8.2/10.5 or less.
Usable fuel: 50 planned, 51.5 actual.
Flight planned distance: I use the actual map distance (made easier by GPS/online service confirmation), times 1.10 (allows for route variations and airport maneuvering at departure and arrival).

(Making all these assumptions may seem too conservative to some. But, I think it has paid off towards safe outcomes. I have never underestimated my fuel burn in the RV. I'll take a "good" surprise on fuel burn and time enroute over a bad one, any day. Anyway...)

Once you plug in your own figures above, calculate a "absolute range calculation" like this:

Departure with 8,000 climb above departure airport
-- 16 minutes at 500fpm, 11 gph, and 100 KIAS = 25 miles covered and 3 gallons consumed (47 remaining).

Enroute and descent
-- 47 gallons/9.0 (very conservative since actual is 8.3 to as low as 7.3) =
5.22 hours. 5.22 x 160 = 832 nmiles.

Total for flight= 5.47 hours, 50 gallons used, 857 nmiles across the ground.

857 - 86 (take out the 10% distance factor) = 771 miles, no wind speed.

My longest trip to date was 740 nm per the charts (about 770 actual ground track) and burned 3 gallons less than calculated amount above. So, I think my numbers give me safe planning figures.

Of course, these calculations don't necessarily equate to any other plane -- even one with the same engine, do not factor in winds, and assume ROP operations. But, if the same numbers were applied to a 40 gallon usable gallon capacity, the absolute range would be 682 nmiles. A 518 nm trip, plus 52 (for the 10%) = 570. (682-570=112 nm reserve, or .7 hours reserve). Vans says the RV7A will do a max range of 765 with 42 gallons and 180 HP. So, I think my calculations are consistently erring on the side of surplus fuel on landing.

Increasing range comes with lean of peak operations at high altitudes and choosing a 55 or 65% power setting at lower altitudes. What ever you decide to use, make sure you've proven the calculations and tested the fuel methods to your satisfaction a couple of times on medium or long (e.g. 2.0 hours or longer) cross country flights, at the same altitude ranges, and with similar cargo loads.

I am sure there will be other useful methods and advice posted by others.

Jayyau,

Welcome to VAF. I will be heading north from Reno to near Whitehorse sometime in late June if you would like to coordinate flying. If so, send me a PM.

Greg
Greg

Hi Greg,

Please keep me posted with your schedule.

I'm curious about your big tires, how big are they? I have heard the landing gear needs to be changed, it that true? having large tires to fly back country is also on my list.

Jay

Whitehorse

Greg: I recall you've flown this route, with international ports of entry, several tiimes. What are your preferred airports departure from the US and entry customs for Canada? How long do you plan your legs going to Whitehorse?

Jay,

I have custom axles that take 6" wheels and use 800x6 tires. Not tundra tires but they roll over obstacles much better than the standard 500x5 tires. There is a thread here somewhere about larger tires that fit the 5" wheels and still fit inside the wheel pants (I wear no pants when flying the bigger tires:D).

Mike,

I've only done the coastal route once, coming south. I typically try to plan 2-hour legs, as I prefer to get out and stretch occasionally and take a leak. Ports of entry into the US I would take anything except a large airport. Smaller ones are generally friendlier. Same going into Canada - I would probably avoid the Vancouver area just because of the traffic (but I've not tried to go into any of the Vancouver area airports so I don't know for sure - some of the folks who do this regularly would probably give better advice than me). If I were going north along the route you suggest and planned a stop in Canada enroute, I would probably go into Campbell River. Along the inland route, I've been through Penticton and Cranbrook and both were small, friendly places.

One piece of advice if you are returning to the US and have to change your airport of entry: when you go to modify your eApis filing, your flight plan will be filed under the original airport you declared, even after you make changes. I almost got refused entry last summer when I was delayed by weather and had to change the entry airport - the customs folks couldn't find my eApis filing until someone thought to look under the "original declared airport."

Cheers,
Greg

Alaska trip

Mike,

Very thorough with your fuel calculation, my Skyview come with the fuel flow, I burn average of 25 Gal for a trip from Torrance to Concord CA, about 2:30 hrs flight, now I need to do what you did to get the real number. Thank you so much for the valuable advises.

I have had so much trouble with Skyview since the day I flew the 7. I spent a whole day yesterday to re-install a repaired ADHRS, it ended up killed my PFD and Engine monitor screen. Dynon Skyview is still in it's developing stage, I'm a test piot for their Skyview product.

I don't have the luxiury long range tank like you, 3 hours trip is the max for me to feel comforable with. I guess, I'll stay the inland route and turn from Whitehorse to SE Alaska.

I landed on AlCan Highway once due to the Wx, decision has to come very quickly to fly in that country, this is my diary for that day---

http://chinesepilots.com/Alaskaday5diary.aspx

Grey,

If you don't mind I ask, how did you custom your gear for 6" rim? how much speed suffered in your 9?

8.00x6 is a good choice for gravel landing in Alaska. Of course, the bigger the better, but I doubt our RV can take the beaten.

Last edited:
Your website

Jay: Your travel website is very nicely done. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of a trip to AK for a preview of terrain and weather. (Anyone thinking of a long adventure trip would find it valuable too.

Even if taking different routes and dates, I hope we can compare notes on routing, weather sources, etc. as the time draws closer. Both Greg and you have valuable experience on region. I am still hoping that someone else wants to make the KBLI/PAKT leg sometime in late June.

I ordered some paper charts, some of which are backordered. I'll may spring for Canada coverage from ForeFlight before too long. Not sure why its $225/year for IFR only charts/procedures in Canada. This seems high compared to the quite reasonable price of $75/year for all VFR and IFR charts and procedures in the United States. Not complaining -- but I am wondering if the higher price is due to NavCanada charges to ForeFlight, which suggests that we can look forward to big price increases on US charts once the user fees for data kick in.

Mike

SE Alaska

Mike,

It's a great idea to compare the plans and notes before the trip. May be we can meet up at SE Alaska and fly for a couple days in that region.

SE Alaska will be my main focus for this trip. I may stay for two weeks to find a couple of good VFR days to fly in the area.

Jay -- low time pilot
N28JY (56TT) , RV-7, O-360, Hartzell C/S Prop,
Dynon Skyview, Garmin Stack, Tru-track A/P.

Last edited:
Jay,

I had custom gear legs made by the guy that makes van's regular legs. Basically no extra cost, just had to order them special, with a 6-inch axle to fit the larger wheels. With the 800x6 tires and no fairings, I lose about 10 mph of cruise speed. I've thought about modifying some RV-10 fairings, but the $500 cost for the fairings is a bit steep.

Greg

Landing gear for big tires

Greg,

When you order your landing gear, did you order with the Engine mount together?

My concern is, if I order those special gear, will the hole on the gear matches the Engine mount socket?

Jay
RV-7, O-360, C/S Prop.

Alaska

Looks like my Alaska plans have solidified a bit and plan to leave from Oregon around June 22nd. I'll travel the safer interior route and stop for a day or two in Whitehorse to visit family. I haven't done any flight planning yet so I don't know what other stops I will make, but I know we want to stop in Whitehorse and end up in Wasilla. Primarily i'll be visiting family while up there and want to head back around July 7th.

Happy to coordinate with others heading up and back around the same time (safety in numbers!).

Greg! I want to check out your plane! Would like to do a similar mod to my rv6 that's under construction. Hopefully our paths will cross at some point.

Regards,

Alaska 2012

Hi Mike,

I've finally decided to add a ferry tank to my RV-7, so, I can make the direct flight from Bellingham to Ketchikan. I'm changing my fuel selector valve from 2tank to 3 tank valve (using Andair FS20X5F), I'll have 54 Gal fuel on board to make the direct flight.

My departure date is set to July 9th 2012, from Southern California to SE Alaska, Wx dependent.

It seems, when the Wx is bad in Southern California, the Wx in Seattle/SE Alaska will be good. This is the Wx pattern I'll be waiting for in July.

Student pilot --- Jay Yau
RV-7, O-360, Skyview, Tru-Trak, CS Prop.

Hi Jay,

I'm planning a similar trip in late July in my RV-8 but haven't seen the need for extra fuel.

That leg is about 520 NM. I can get over 900NM (to dry) range out of mine at around 10000' and 60% power (IO-360), so even allowing for lower altitudes, headwinds etc should still have a good IFR reserve.

Just curious.

Alaska 2012

Mark,

How do you lean your engine and what's your average EGT under such a lean condition ?

Have you done this leg (Bellingham --- Ketchikan) before? how much fuel left in the tank when you arrived?

Jay,

I haven't done the Alaska run before. I'll be going with one of the escorted group tours that has been previously mentioned here.

Average EGT is fairly meaningless, and I don't really pay much attention to it.
I have the GRT Horizon and EIS and use the graphical EGT monitor to lean till all cylinders are 25 to 50F LOP. No tuned injectors but they all start dropping fairly close together. I have Plasma 3 ignition (RHS only). It struggles to run that lean on magneto only. CHTs remain comfortably in about 320-360F range and fuel burn below 7 USG/hour for around 155 KTAS.

My last couple of ~600NM legs used 26.2 galls for 4.1 hours and 28.9 galls for 4.4 flight hours respectively flying in the 11-13,000' range, wide open throttle and 2200-2300 RPM. Flights were at close to MTOW and aft CG limits.

Aggressive leaning below 60% power won't harm your engine and can give some excellent range and economy.

Worth practising, when you get a chance.

Alaska 2012

Mark,

Great feedback. Thank you very much.

Can I lean the same way for my O-360 Engine?

Jay
RV-7 slider, 68 Hrs, O-360, Skyview, Tru-Track DigiFlight II, C/S prop.

Typically you won't be able to get the same amount of leaning on a carburated engine. There are some great articles on LOP and leaning techniques, especially the Pelican's Perch series. These are mostly geared towards injected engines but still relevant.

About the best you can usually achieve is the traditional technique (below 65% power) of leaning to rough and richening until smooth. This may put you at near peak EGT which shouldn't hurt at lower power settings, but keep an eye out for rising CHTs until you're comfortable with this operation. A good engine monitor with alarms and warnings set is a great help with this.

I got some pretty good range out of a carburated RV-4 flying at 20" 2000 RPM and similarly leaned. I also used the technique of backing off from WOT until you saw a slight drop in MP as this is supposed to give a better mixture distribution.

Hi guys,

I have made two more trips to Alaska since my last post, couldn't believe two more years has gone by, and now I'm planning the 5th trip to Alaska in 2014.

In 2012, I didn't make the direct flight from Bellingham to Ketchikan, I actually went from Oshkosh to Cutbank to Lethbridge to Prince George, then flew west to Prince Rupert, then arrived at Ketchikan.

In 2013, I went through the Trench, then Palmer, then west coast, then Barrow, then Deadhorse. I've posted 4 videos that I took during 2013 trip.
( www.chinesepilots.com ), I removed the audio due to the copyright concern, otherwise it would be a much better video to entertain.

Any way, glad to be back here to share some of the joy from Alaska.

Wow, I really enjoyed some awesome photography of some spectacular scenery - that most of us never even get to see. Thanks for sharing that!

That's impressive Jay! You are one brave pilot I wouldn't venture over those glacicles or picky rocks. Thanks for detailed write up on your website I am planning a grand run in that corner in July 2014. Thanks for doing numbers on hours and fuel. Would love to meet you some day to shake hands.

I feel I should mention, once he clipped a snow peak with the main gear - and another time I think I heard the wingtip scrape a jagged rock:D

Hi guys,

I have made two more trips to Alaska since my last post, couldn't believe two more years has gone by, and now I'm planning the 5th trip to Alaska in 2014.

In 2012, I didn't make the direct flight from Bellingham to Ketchikan, I actually went from Oshkosh to Cutbank to Lethbridge to Prince George, then flew west to Prince Rupert, then arrived at Ketchikan.

In 2013, I went through the Trench, then Palmer, then west coast, then Barrow, then Deadhorse. I've posted 4 videos that I took during 2013 trip.
( www.chinesepilots.com ), I removed the audio due to the copyright concern, otherwise it would be a much better video to entertain.

Any way, glad to be back here to share some of the joy from Alaska.

Hi Jay how is planning going? What time are you going this year? What route?

Haven't seen major contributors to this thread for couple years. I hope all is well. Has anybody ever stayed overnight at Prince Rupert CYPR? The airport is on an island is there any kind of transportation to the town?

Try this:

http://www.princerupert.ca/cityservices/transportation/airport-ferry

Schedules and fares listed.

You would be a brave soul to fly up along the coast single engine.

At least until you put some amphibian floats on your 9.

I flew this route many years ago, single engine without floats. Piper Cherokee 140 w/150 HP long range tanks.

Great flight, spent the night with my kids camping at Williams Lake, BC, left early AM, arrived at Prince George, topped off with fuel, then flew to Smithers, crossed through a very narrow mountain pass to Terrace, then flew the Skeena River to Prince Rupert, finally on to Ketchikan for fuel.

In few days (May 26th) will fly from Washington to Petersburg, AK to refuel in my RV-6, on the way back to Kenai where I live.

If you've ever read about the early pioneers flying in Alaska, they did this route in airplanes less reliable than what we fly now. Yes, they had lower landing speeds, but we rely on modern navigation, updated mechanicals and electronics.

The main reason I plan to fly the "Coast" is because it is extremely beautiful!

Recently I flew from Arizona to Idaho. Beautiful mountains and no place to land, just like flying the coast to Alaska.

The new survival gear required for Alaska does not require firearms anymore. Must have a 24" axe though. Two people and the required survival gear is a load for my RV-6, that is why I'm flying it solo this time.

Not leaving much to chance, have scheduled bore scope of engine internals, and an overall inspection to be performed by an IA familiar with RV'S will be done in Idaho before I leave.

Been checking weather every day, www.windytv.com for winds, FAA Webcams to see what weather is like at my planned route. Yes, In Alaska the FAA provides webcams at the airports and passes, so you can see real time weather.

Canada has a few webcams as well, can be seen on the same website. However they don't have the METAR like the Alaska ones do.

Here is the link for the cams: http://avcams.faa.gov/

WindyTV. Now that's interesting. I like single screen graphics. Remember the bad 'ol days of winds aloft raw text for stations along your route? Ugh.

I take the coast as far as Skagway (added inducement is a daughter in Juneau). I'm simply too chicken to continue the coast to Anchorage because it is so desolate and few ways out inland. There actually are quite a few airports from WA to Skagway, and plenty of trees instead of water if Mr. Lycoming steps out for lunch.

Mike, where in ID are you laying up to inspect your new -6?

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Back