What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail weight while hanging engine

wfinnell

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

How much weight do I need to add to the tail of the aircraft to hang the engine? I don't have the empinage or wings on yet.

Thanks,

You dont need much, probably 30 pounds towards the tailwheel. I put some small paint cans and some junk I had laying around in the back.

You really dont need any, but it is pretty neutrally balanced with the tail and canopy off. As long as you add some weight you will be good. You will need more weight if you have the fuselage leveled.

You dont need much, probably 30 pounds towards the tailwheel. I put some small paint cans and some junk I had laying around in the back.

You really dont need any, but it is pretty neutrally balanced with the tail and canopy off. As long as you add some weight you will be good. You will need more weight if you have the fuselage leveled.

Good to know. I'll be hanging mine soon and was wondering the same thing.

Depends on the engine and prop

On my Rv-7 a 25 lb bag of shot is not quite enough without emp or wings. 50 lbs will do ok though. That is with IO-360 angle valve and Hartzell c/s prop. With the empanage on it is ok. Very light though so I left a 25 lb bag of shot back there until I put the wings on.

2 ways

I've done it two ways:

1. 20+ liter jug strapped to the little tailwheel sawhorse when I want the aircraft level
  2. a pair of old car batteries in the baggage area when I want the tailwheel down.

Without them, it would be on its nose, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Tail weight

With the empennage installed I found no additional weight was necessary to hang a YIO360M1B with Hartzell C/S prop.

Weight On The Tail

We used an old inner tube, cut it in thirds, took one piece and folded one end together and held it with a hose clamp, filled it with sand, then sealed the other end the same way with a hose clamp. Laid it on the tail spring, and it worked great. Works good, lasts a long time, still use it on other jobs.

Back