What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Push on connectors for pitot (not flared)

mikerkba

Well Known Member
I am replacing my pitot tube (Dynon heated AOA pitot tube). I wondered if I could avoid flaring the new aluminum tubes (at the aluminum to plastic ends) by using a push on connectors, like those use "downstream" where plastic meets plastic. Extensive searching found nothing specifically for aluminum tubing. Am I overlooking a straight connector that accepts aluminum and plastic, one at each end?

For my RV-8 Garmin AOA probe, I flared the aluminum, used an AN fitting then adapter for the "Push-On" connectors used with the tubing for the rest of the system. I was unable to find a push on fitting that adapted to the 3/16" aluminum line and the 1/4" nylon tubing. IF I could have found push-on fitting for the 3/16" line, I would have used it and a pipe thread coupling to adapter the lines together.

Thanks

Thanks Gary. I couldn't find one either. Some will mate to copper tubing. But either say "not for aluminum" or are silent.

Try this combo from McMaster

51055K37 - Push-to-Connect Fitting for Drinking Water, Elbow, 3/16" Tube Stem OD, for 3/16" for Tube OD

51055K92 - Push-to-Connect Fitting for Drinking Water, Straight Reducer, for 1/4" x 3/16" Tube OD

No problem gripping the aluminum tube.

I used the Safeair push on connectors cobbled to the pitot fittings. Somewhere in my pitot/static system, I had a leak I could not pinpoint. Among other things after re-cutting all the lines and careful assemble, I still had a leak. Probably a bad or nicked O-ring in the fittings. I ended up cutting the fittings off the pitot aluminum lines and just pushing the Safeair lines on the tubes. Nice tight fit. I then used some silicone fusion tape and made a couple wraps covering the joint just to be sure. Not very easy to disassemble when I had to replace my pitot mast, but I plan to do my -9 the same way.

Test your parts, even if they fit.

While the push-on fittings may fit on, be sure the retention feature works. Many push on have plastic retainers, the best will have a stainless tooth inside the plastic. I've had some "brands" not even hold in the SAE 1/4" brake tubing, they just pull off.

Try this combo from McMaster

51055K92 - Push-to-Connect Fitting for Drinking Water, Straight Reducer, for 1/4" x 3/16" Tube OD

No problem gripping the aluminum tube.

Those are the ones that I used and have no issues with airspeed readings. They were quality pieces that had a metallic retainer ring.

Larry

Last edited:
Back